Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chili

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Chili

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:04 am

We are certainly moving into autumn, my favorite season, with the nights getting cooler, the days getting shorter. Puts me in mind of comfort food.

When one says "chili" all sorts of different things may enter the listener's head, depending on where they are from and what their culinary background is.

This was brought home to me yet again in a conversation last evening with a close friend from Texas. It's only because we both have a food background that we were on the same page at all!

Here in New Mexico if you want a stew-like bowl of meat, spices, possibly tomatoes, maybe beans, you had better say "Texas Chili" or you'll be getting a bowl of good New Mexican red chile sauce and not the stew you thought you were ordering!

So. What's "chili" in your household? Beans? No beans? Pork? Beef? Vegetarian? Tomatoes? No tomatoes? Chocolate? Cinnamon? How much heat?

Care to share your recipe?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Chili

by Robert J. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:15 am

Great post, Cynthia! But allow me to put the issue to rest right now. I completely understand New Mexico red and green chile stew and love love love it.

But, being from Texas I have to say a few things about what makes Texas chili, well, chili.

No beans, ever. If it has beans it is not chili. It is stew.

If there is not any meat it is not chili. It is vegetable/bean stew. And if there is something like tofu or textured vegetable protein in the mix then the cook needs to be shot at sunrise (if they call it chili, that is).

The meat is beef. Though I don't mind venison. Especially if I shot it myself.

Tomatoes? Sure.

Onions? Sure.

Cumin? Yep.

I like to use (gasp!) Chimayo chile powder. But any red chili powder works well except for Gerhardt's or some s**t like that. I frequently mix powders.

No cinnamon. Ever. This is an offense punishable by death.

High heat is best. Low heat is unacceptable.

Masa makes a good thickener, should you need it.

And no, I will not share my recipe. It totally and completely rocks.

rwj

edited to state that cumin is included. I take this for granted.
Last edited by Robert J. on Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:25 am

I'll eat any kind.

Award-winning chili tip from a Texas chili-meister: add a pat of butter at the end and stir it in. It adds a little smoothness.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:20 am

Robert J. wrote:And no, I will not share my recipe. It totally and completely rocks.

Robert, you clearly need to learn to have opinions and then how to voice them! 8)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:33 am

Cynthia, chili is not an opinion. It is a fact.

:)

rwj
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:49 am

Cynthia,

Thats funny. Actually "Texas Chili" more closely resembles the New Mexico style. No Beans...chili con carne colorado ( red chili w/ meat)...no tomatoes or tomato sauce...

Basically, its meat, cumin, red chile powder, garlic, masa and onion.

Richard
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:28 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Care to share your recipe?

Okay, somebody has to stoke the flames by speaking up for Midwestern chili, and it might as well be me. ;)

Here's an extended essay on the topic that I wrote a couple of years ago with the help of my good buddy (and chili maven) Karen, so it has to be true.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:36 pm

Robert J.,

When you say "chile powder", are you are talking about plain ground-up dried capsicum, or a mixture of capsicum and various spices?

If just the plain capsicum, what do you see as the essential seasonings for chili? I would think cumin is #1 on the list.

If a spice mixture, which spices and in what proportion?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:52 pm

Robert J said:

Regional difference: I grew up in California, not Texas, and no Californian should be allowed to tell a Texan what is or is not chili, but from childhood through adulthood, ALL chili, be that at home or the company cafeteria or the ball park, contained beans. No beans? That's chili con carne. No chiles/chile powder? That's stew.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:53 pm

Paul, I am speaking of just plain capsicum. I do use cumin, and to that extent I make my own spice mixture. It will sometimes contain more than one type of ground chile though.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:56 pm

Jenise wrote:Robert J said:

Regional difference: I grew up in California, not Texas, and no Californian should be allowed to tell a Texan what is or is not chili, but from childhood through adulthood, ALL chili, be that at home or the company cafeteria or the ball park, contained beans. No beans? That's chili con carne. No chiles/chile powder? That's stew.

Nope. See post #2. That lays down the rules. I'm not budging and Cynthia started it!

rwj :)

(smiley for civility)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:03 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Care to share your recipe?

Okay, somebody has to stoke the flames by speaking up for Midwestern chili, and it might as well be me. ;)

Here's an extended essay on the topic that I wrote a couple of years ago with the help of my good buddy (and chili maven) Karen, so it has to be true.

Robin, I mean absolutely no offense here, ok? But chili is from Texas. Tires, Automobiles, Pabst Blue Ribbon (don't mind if I do, thank you), and fried Pepsi are from the midwest. I mean, come on, you put that stuff on spaghetti!!?? I'm sure it's good and I would gladly have some; BUT IT'S NOT CHILI.

The only legal thing to put under chili is a pile of Fritos or crumbled tortilla chips.

Will everybody please take a step back and re-read post #2?

rwj
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:13 pm

Now, Robert, I know you Texans think you rule The Chili Universe, but as noted in my Original Post, there is room for many, many chili interpretations.

Can't we build a bridge of understanding here? There don't have to be absolutes around this issue. No, really!

AND, if you won't share your recipe, then how can we evaluate whether you might possibly have the definitive key to chili or not??? ;)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:20 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Can't we build a bridge of understanding here?

Not with me holding this book of matches, we can't.

And for the record, I do hold the definitive key to chili. It was my birthright and decreed by God. I won't share my recipe but will gladly make a pot for all to share. Heck, I may even ship samples! But no Chili Master will ever ever ever share his/her recipe.

Please re-read post #2.

rwj
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:37 pm

For 7 yrs in a row, I was a 2nd level chili Judge at the Terlingua Chili Cook-Off in Terlingua, Tx. (1977-1984 or so..) Which basically means I knew someone who knew someone and was relatively sober at the time of judging. Of course, relatively....was relative... at Terlingua.

Our job was to taste and grade 20 different chili's. All shared pretty much the same characteristics in ingredients and texture. Mostly cubed meat, no ground meat. Plus no beans...beans would have gotten you mobbed. Taste, aroma and color were mostly judged at that level.

But, let me tell you...the most you can do is remember the best 2 or 3 and the worst. The middle gets lost cause, really...most chili tastes the same. And after 20?? The only ones you can really remember are the ones that were so hot your ears were steaming and the ones that were so bad you spit them out.

The ony reason I could ever come up with for the really bad ones, especially at World Championship levels...is that the chili team over partied and were too hung over to cook.

Richard
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:59 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote: Mostly cubed meat, no ground meat. Plus no beans...beans would have gotten you mobbed.
Richard

You see?

No beans = Chili.

Beans = Certain death by many drunk, and I mean drunk, chili cooks.

(Frankly, I would rather be drawn and quartered than face the penalty for beans in my chili).

rwj
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:38 pm

Robert J. wrote:Robin, I mean absolutely no offense here, ok? But chili is from Texas. Tires, Automobiles, Pabst Blue Ribbon (don't mind if I do, thank you), and fried Pepsi are from the midwest. I mean, come on, you put that stuff on spaghetti!!?? I'm sure it's good and I would gladly have some; BUT IT'S NOT CHILI.

No offense taken, and none implied in return.

You're wrong, though. :twisted:

You're talking about <i>Texas</i> chili, which is fine if you're from Texas. But what chili really is, it's comfort food that you grew up with. If you grew up in Texas, it's Texas chile. In New Mexico, green chili. Mexico? <i>Chile Colorado</i>. In the Midwest, it's burger meat and beans and chili powder on, yes, spaghetti. And in Cincinnati it's really Greek spaghetti sauce. This explains the cinnamon. ;)

But childhood comfort food, that's the secret ... and that's why everybody takes it so seriously.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:06 pm

Robin, I must say, please re-read post #2. :twisted:

rwj :)

(again, smiley for civility)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:37 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Robert J.,

When you say "chile powder", are you are talking about plain ground-up dried capsicum, or a mixture of capsicum and various spices?

If just the plain capsicum, what do you see as the essential seasonings for chili? I would think cumin is #1 on the list.

If a spice mixture, which spices and in what proportion?

-Paul W.

Always a source of confusion. It's best to say "powdered chile" for straight capsicum and "chili powder" for capsicum, cumin, oregano, etc.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:03 pm

I love chili, all kinds, beef, chicken, pork....I don't care. As long as it is hot, has chili powders, cumin, lots of garlic and onion. I make a great chicken chili that rocks. One thing, however....I want my chili to have beans, red, white, I don't care. Just not chili unless it has beans!
I had (may still have ?) the original Chasen's chili recipe and it is probably the one I have like the least. I think it was very time consuming. I like my chili to be easy. Of course "my" easy might be someone's tedious!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:09 pm

Just not chili unless it has beans!

Karen, you share the curse of the Californians! Us omnivores need our beans.

Btw, I'm judging a chili contest this weekend--what do you want to bed the majority will have beans in them?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:13 pm

Jenise, I just can't chomp down on nothing but meat. The beans add an extra layer of flavor that totally says, "chili".
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:15 pm

I guess this isn't the time to bring up tofu?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:20 pm

Go for it, Stuart! Vegetarian was one of the prompts in my original post.
Next