Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chili

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: Chili

by ChefJCarey » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:04 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
chefjcarey wrote:Chef Carey on humor:

If you have to tell somebody somethin's funny, it ain't.
Are you trying to be funny?

Just funny lookin'. And in that I think I've succeeded admirably.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:24 pm

When I was a kid in Pittsburgh, mom made chili con carne. This was ground beef and kidney beans in a tomato based sauce. Served it with saltines. I was ambivalent....I liked the ground beef but hated beans at the time....always ate around them.

When I went to school in Boston, we ate a similar chili. But it was served over rice.

When we lived in Chicago, a lot of places served "chili-mac" which was the same chili served in a bowl with elbow macaroni added in. Grated cheese and/or chopped onions could be placed on top.

When I was in Chicago, the Tribune conducted a chili contest and published the top 3 winners. To this day, I make the winning recipe several times each winter. Kidney beans are optional but I always put them in and my wife always eats around them. Ground beef is the base meat.

Twenty-some years ago, we moved to Cincinnati and discovered Cincinnati-style chili. I do not think of this as chili but rather a different type of spaghetti sauce. This chili contains minimal discernible solids but, by legend, is flavored with both cinnamon and chocolate. As described elsewhere, it is typically served over spaghetti with grated cheeddar cheese on top. Despite Yaniger's misconceptions, this is known as a three-way. A four-way means either chopped onions or kidney beans (no, Stuart, not the Milton twins) have been added. A five-way contains both. The natives here are blissfully unaware that what they eat is not real chili. The local Skyline chain perpetuates this deception by asking every customer, "How was your chili today?" as they pay the bill.

Somewhere along the way I was told that real Texas chili contained pinto beans. Guess RJ would disagree with that.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:24 pm

MikeH wrote:
Robert J. wrote:[Pabst Blue Ribbon (don't mind if I do, thank you)

Will everybody please take a step back and re-read post #2?

rwj

Sorry RJ, but indicating that PBR was worth drinking has lost you all credibility that you ever might have had in these fora. Post #2 becomes a waste of ether. :lol: DNPIM!!!!!!!

When all you have is a buck, and The Black Cat sold PBR for $1, then no, I don't mind if I do. Chili ain't got no beans in it!!

rwj
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:27 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Tim’s Chili
2 large habenaro peppers

The next large Habanero pepper I see will be the first.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:38 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Always a source of confusion. It's best to say "powdered chile" for straight capsicum and "chili powder" for capsicum, cumin, oregano, etc.

Larry, do you mix your own chili powder? or, sis there a local brand that is the top mixture? I have heard some say that Gebhardts is palatable, but I have always suspected that real chili cooks mix their own. What say you?
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:04 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:Always a source of confusion. It's best to say "powdered chile" for straight capsicum and "chili powder" for capsicum, cumin, oregano, etc.

Larry, do you mix your own chile powder? or, sis there a local brand that is the top mixture? I have heard some say that Gebhardts is palatable, but I have always suspected that real chili cooks mix their own. What say you?

For what it's worth - I've found Mexene to be a good all round chili powder (NOT chile.) It's made by Bruce Foods in New Iberia, LA.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:09 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:

Larry, do you mix your own chile powder? or, sis there a local brand that is the top mixture? I have heard some say that Gebhardts is palatable, but I have always suspected that real chili cooks mix their own. What say you?

Also for what it's worth, I found out about this chili powder from a couple of chili contest winners.

Here's what Bruces gas to say about it.

"Mexene Chili Powder is called "The Chili Champions' Choice" as endorsed by CASI, The Chili Appreciation Society International and is used in many of the winning recipes from the World Championship Chili Cookoff in Terlingua, Texas."
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:53 pm

chefjcarey wrote:http://floridachili.com/so_you_want_to_cook_competition_.htm

That article is enough to make me wish I could be a judge! :wink:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:24 am

Bob Henrick wrote:

Careful with the spelling. Yes, I mix my own chili powder. And it's not expensive. (Wait til you get your powdered chile [there's a slight delay].) I seem to remember posting one or two recipes on the old forum. If you can't find them, I'll see about scaring 'em up.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:31 am

Robert R. wrote:
chefjcarey wrote:http://floridachili.com/so_you_want_to_cook_competition_.htm

That article is enough to make me wish I could be a judge! :wink:

Enter and win a few chili contests and your wish can come true.

It's the way the world works. Tedious as it may be the planet always seems to demand credentials.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:29 am

Larry Greenly wrote: (Wait til you get your powdered chile [there's a slight delay].) I seem to remember posting one or two recipes on the old forum. If you can't find them, I'll see about scaring 'em up.

Btw, Larry, did you get my PM on this?
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:35 am

Do the Mexican dishes Chile Verde and Chile Colorado qualify as chile?
I like them both, quite a bit, and make them often.

I also have a quick chile with beans that I make when time is short - sounds very much like Mike H's version.

I take a nice sized onion and dice it up fine - throw it in the pot and soften in a bit of vegetable oil. Then I add the ground beef, and brown it along with the onion. I season with salt, pepper, a dark chile powder I buy, made by Baltimore Spice, and lots of extra cumin. Cayenne pepper to taste. I really use a lot of the chile powder and the cumin in this dish.
After a couple of minutes of letting those flavors blend, I add a can of tomato sauce, stir and simmer for a few more minutes. Then, dump in a can of red kidneys, rinsed. I always like to add in a half a can of diced tomatoes as well. Fifteen more minutes and it's ready to eat.

I serve it over rice, because it makes it a more substantial dish, but it can be served alone as well.

I know it probably isn't chile to someone from Texas, but frankly, I don't care.
I'm guessing I wouldn't approve of their spaghetti sauce, so turnabout is fair play.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:40 am

chefjcarey wrote:Also for what it's worth, I found out about this chili powder from a couple of chili contest winners.

Here's what Bruces gas to say about it.

"Mexene Chili Powder is called "The Chili Champions' Choice" as endorsed by CASI, The Chili Appreciation Society International and is used in many of the winning recipes from the World Championship Chili Cookoff in Terlingua, Texas."

Thanks for the heads up Chef. I see that they have a web presence, so I will order their 20 ounce size jar, and if needed I can get a larger can later down the road. Thanks again.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:02 am

John Tomasso wrote:Do the Mexican dishes Chile Verde and Chile Colorado qualify as chile?
I like them both, quite a bit, and make them often.

It's my understanding, John, that Chile Verde is the grandfather of New Mexico chili and Chile Colorado is the ancestor of Texas chili. They're the originals.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:04 am

chefjcarey wrote:"Mexene Chili Powder"

Well, I be durn. My parents used to use that stuff to make Midwestern chili (yes, with spaghetti) back in the Jurassic Era. I always assumed it was the same kind of cr@p as other '60s foods, like green-can Parmeejun and Velveeta. Who knew?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:23 am

Jenise wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote: (Wait til you get your powdered chile [there's a slight delay].) I seem to remember posting one or two recipes on the old forum. If you can't find them, I'll see about scaring 'em up.

Btw, Larry, did you get my PM on this?

I think I did. See your PM.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:43 pm

John Tomasso wrote:Do the Mexican dishes Chile Verde and Chile Colorado qualify as chile?

John, that's a great question. Thanks for asking. These dishes do qualify as chile. But they don't qualify as CHILI.

John Tomasso wrote:I know it probably isn't chile to someone from Texas, but frankly, I don't care.

No John, it's not chili. Not even close. Please re-read post #2.

John Tomasso wrote:I'm guessing I wouldn't approve of their spaghetti sauce, so turnabout is fair play.

And, as a matter of fact, you would approve of my spaghetti sauce.

Arrrrr matey,

Dastardly Dick
Previous