Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Red jalapenos

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

Red jalapenos

by MikeH » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:09 pm

A co-worker gave me some red peppers. He said they were home-grown by a neighbor and he couldnt use them all. He thought they were jalapenos.

To me the size and shape were jalapeno-like. But I'm a relative newbie in the foodie world and the red color confused me. My research in Wikipedia indicates these could in fact be fully ripe jalapenos. Further, Wikipedia states that red jalapenos are considered inferior to green and that they are often smoked to make chipotles.

Given the notorious inaccuracies of Wikipedia, does all of this sound correct to the resident experts here?

Any suggestions as to the use of these red peppers?

Thanks.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Red jalapenos

by Robert J. » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:35 pm

Sounds right to me. Red japs tend to lose heat through the ripening process (could be wrong on this, but they do lose heat). They also lose that bright *green* flavor.

I use them any way I normally would use japs. If I need more heat I mix in some green or habs.

Dastardly Dick

Arrrrr matey
Last edited by Robert J. on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:36 pm

Not that you'd want to take chile advice from someone from New Jersey, but the article tracks with what I know about jalapeños. It should be pretty easy to identify yours by comparing with pictures on the web such as this one:
<center>Image</center>
I don't know about the inferior part, but I do like to put a little zing into my chili with canned chipotles in adobo sauce ... nothing inferior about that.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:56 pm

I love red jals and use them all the same ways I use green. Congrats on your haul, Mike!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:08 pm

I left all of the jalapenos on the plant until they turned red. Did not notice any difference in heat. There definitely is a difference in taste - green is, well, green. Something like the difference between a green bell pepper and a red bell pepper.

I have noticed over the years that I have developed an unnerving sensitivity to whatever aerosolizes when a hot pepper is cut. Within a few seconds I feel it in my upper airways an start to cough. No problem eating it, in fact, the hotter, the better but inhaling the air over a just cut slice is killing. I've taken to cutting hot peppers under water. I wonder if anyone else has developed the same ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:51 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:I left all of the jalapenos on the plant until they turned red. Did not notice any difference in heat. There definitely is a difference in taste - green is, well, green. Something like the difference between a green bell pepper and a red bell pepper.

I have noticed over the years that I have developed an unnerving sensitivity to whatever aerosolizes when a hot pepper is cut. Within a few seconds I feel it in my upper airways an start to cough. No problem eating it, in fact, the hotter, the better but inhaling the air over a just cut slice is killing. I've taken to cutting hot peppers under water. I wonder if anyone else has developed the same ?

Christina, I don't believe your reaction is isolated or unusual. Not only does the same thing happen to me, there is also a defensive weapon named pepper spray! Further, cutting/cleaning the jalapenos under water doesn't stop the issue. I have concluded the best thing is to avoid being directly over the peppers when cleaning them.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:21 pm

Red jalapenos are by no means inferior! They mellow out in flavor, becoming a little sweeter and milder.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:57 pm

I love the red jalapenos, just like I love the red bell peppers best. I find no difference in the heat. It might be our climate and the long growing season. I do pick the green jalapenos, but try to leave them to sweeten up. They freeze great too!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:01 pm

Thanks Karen - never thought to freeze them. What a good idea !
Mamma Mia !