Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Head Cheese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Head Cheese

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:46 am

Everything you ever want to know about how it is made. Now I know why I never go near the stuff!

http://seattletallpoppy.blogspot.com/2006/08/not-for-faint-of-heart.html
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Head Cheese

by Robert J. » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:22 pm

I''m not even going to click on that link.

rwj
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:19 pm

No disclaimers necessary. I am not at all squeamish and love head cheese. Made it when I bought a whole pig and insisted on using it snout to tail . Found the article very thought provoking .
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:33 pm

There was not a more disgusting scene in my childhood than walking into my grandmother's kitchen to see a bisected hogs' head boiling away in a dishpan on her stove. She loved headcheese, I could never bring myself to touch it, much less eat the sh.. er, stuff! :shock:
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:49 pm

Robert R. wrote:There was not a more disgusting scene in my childhood than walking into my grandmother's kitchen to see a bisected hogs' head boiling away in a dishpan on her stove. She loved headcheese, I could never bring myself to touch it, much less eat the sh.. er, stuff! :shock:

Head cheese is OK. A worse sight, however, was when my grandmother slaughtered a chicken. She removed, if present, the unlaid egg from you know where and popped it in her mouth. Mmmmmm, that was a treat!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:49 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:Head cheese is OK. A worse sight, however, was when my grandmother slaughtered a chicken. She removed, if present, the unlaid egg from you know where and popped it in her mouth. Mmmmmm, that was a treat!

My grandparents were from Portugal Gary, and I watched many chickens being slaughtered, but I never saw an unlaid egg being removed and eaten. I assume it was removed from the shell first?
My grandfather would chop off the heads, and the chicken would run all over, wings flapping before it died. I don't think I ever put the events together until I was older.....slaughter + chicken for dinner. I never saw the rabbits being slaughtered, but I know we ate them. My best friends were the goats who grandpa used to keep weeds down on his back property. Hmmm.....wonder what he did with them.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:18 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:My best friends were the goats who grandpa used to keep weeds down on his back property. Hmmm.....wonder what he did with them.

Isn't that done with sheep???
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:22 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:My grandparents were from Portugal Gary, and I watched many chickens being slaughtered, but I never saw an unlaid egg being removed and eaten. I assume it was removed from the shell first?

Shell was still gelatinous as far as I could tell. I was just a wee lad and rather disturbed by all this happening in the alleyway between the houses in Jersey City. Yeah, not in the country at all.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:41 am

You know, I like all kinds of food and am not squeamish in the least. I can field dress all sorts of animals. I love barbacoa and don't mind making it. So cooking a head doesn't really bother me.

But for whatever reason, I could never get past head cheese.

rwj
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:47 am

Thomas wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:My best friends were the goats who grandpa used to keep weeds down on his back property. Hmmm.....wonder what he did with them.

Isn't that done with sheep???

Don't know about sheep.
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:22 pm

I published a detailed article on head cheese, with a couple of illustrated recipes, earlier this year. In French, it's called fromage de tête, which I guess makes it sound better. It’s really nothing more than sandwich meat (and quite tasty).

(If head cheese is to your liking, you'll love the soufflé de cervelle de porc à l’épinards [pig brain souffle with spinach] that’s in next month’s article.)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:35 pm

[quote="Gary Barlettano[/quote]
Head cheese is OK. A worse sight, however, was when my grandmother slaughtered a chicken. She removed, if present, the unlaid egg from you know where and popped it in her mouth. Mmmmmm, that was a treat![/quote]I used to love to see my grandmother kill chickens. She had a two hand technique and could ring the necks of two at a time. I watched my uncles fight (bare knuckle) over the whole eggs cooked to perfection inside the 3 to 4 roasted chickens.

My mother and I still make head cheese every New Year (we no longer use the head of the hog -- rather, a combination of parts) and hand out 1 to 2 lb loafs as gifts to a bevvy of friends and relatives standing in line.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon