Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Egg allergy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dwight Green

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:36 am

Morgan Hill, California

Egg allergy

by Dwight Green » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:28 am

We got the blood panel back on our oldest kid and it turns out he is allergic to egg whites and yolks. Additional sensitivities include milk, cheese, and soy. We’re just getting started on finding recipes avoiding eggs, but it seems like a daunting challenge. Even all the “egg substitutes” seem to have eggs in them. I’ve found a few products that avoid eggs where you would expect them (a mayonnaise that does have soybean oil, but at least not until the seventh listed ingredient for example). But replacing eggs where I have always used them—pancakes, french toast, etc.—seems to be a harder challenge.

Does anyone have any experience in substituting eggs in recipes?
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Egg allergy

by Maria Samms » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:24 am

Hi Dwight,

Sorry your dealing with this. I feel your pain...my 2 1/2 yr old is allergic to eggs too (as well as dairy, wheat, and many many other things). Our only saving grace is he isn't allergic to soy.

As far as recipes that require baking, ie pancakes, cakes, etc...I used an egg replacer called EnerG egg. It is basically a leavening agent (baking soda/baking powder). It works very well in anything that is baked. However, you can not use it as a binding agent...nor a replacement for anything "custard" like.

So for pancakes, cakes, or muffins, I use the EnerG egg replacer. You can buy it at most health food stores or online here:

https://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.asp ... at=8&id=97

I also find that adding some applesauce to sweet applications and carrot or zucchini puree to savory recipes, helps with binding and moisture retention. Also I do add a little extra canola oil (usually a couple of teaspoons) again for texture and moisture.

For things that need binding or custards, I normally use tofu, since my son can have soy. Since you don't have that option, I would *try* applesauce again in sweet applications and lentil or chickpea puree in savory (ie, meatballs, meatloaf). You can use emulsfying agents for salad dressings. Some are Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum and you can get those also at health food stores.

I also wanted to let you know both my children drink enriched rice milk, instead of cows milk or soy milk. The brand I buy is by Rice Dreams, and you can get it in original, vanilla, or chocolate. Just make sure you get the one that is enriched with vitamin D and Calcium.

You should check out the The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network. Here's the website:

http://www.foodallergy.org/

For more support/questions/recipes about food allergies, I am part of another forum. You are welcome to come by and post or just lurk for info. It is a BB under Pregnancy.org, but you do not have to be pregnant or a woman to join or lurk LOL! Here is the website:

http://www.pregnancy.org/bulletinboards ... rune=&f=95

I post there under "citysides"

Food allergies are definitely challenging and when I first learned about my son's allergies (at age 8 months) I was devastated...especially being a foodie. And I won't lie, there are foods I just don't make anymore because I am afraid of exposure or cross contamination...like French toast, or quiche, or eggs in general :( . Also, be prepared to bake everything from scratch. I have to bring special cookies and cupcakes when my son goes to bday parties. But it does get easier, and your child has a 93% chance of outgrowing it, so there is hope.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:43 am

I'm with Maria. I've used Ener-G egg replacer. No eggs, period.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:52 am

If you haven't already, I would double check on the egg whites. Most people that are allergic to eggs are allergic to yolks only. If you can get over that hurdle, you are home free. If not go with Maria and Larry.
no avatar
User

Dwight Green

Rank

Wine geek

Morgan Hill, California

by Dwight Green » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:11 pm

Thanks for the tips! It's challenging to start with sincewe're dealing with another Randy from "A Christmas Story" in that there are only a handful of foods he will eat, and not always voluntarily. This gives a lot to start with, so much appreciated.

And unfortunately, the panel tested both egg whites and yolks and both registered the highest tier for allergies.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:11 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:If you haven't already, I would double check on the egg whites. Most people that are allergic to eggs are allergic to yolks only. If you can get over that hurdle, you are home free. If not go with Maria and Larry.

Carl,
From what I've read and been told, it's the other way around...most people/children with an egg allergy are allergic to the protein in the egg whites. My son is also allergic to both yolk and whites, however he is only moderately allergic to the yolks and highly allergic to the whites.

From About.com:
Egg allergies are one of the most common allergies of childhood. Both the yolk and the white of eggs are made of numerous proteins and are therefore potentially allergenic, although egg whites cause more reactions than yolks.

The full article here:
http://foodallergies.about.com/od/eggal ... ergies.htm

I was told, though, that even if my son wasn't allergic to egg yolks, that he could not have them if he is allergic to the whites, because it is extremely difficult to separate all the white from the yolk, and there is too much chance of cross-contamination.

Dwight - my allergic son is a "Randy" too...I honestly think he is picky because he allergic to certain foods. My daughter doesn't have any food allergies or sensitivities and she LOVES to eat...not picky at all!

Also, my friend whose daughter was allergic to eggs, dairy, and soy, used gelatin as a binding agent. That might work well in meatloaf, etc.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:47 pm

Maria, I guess it is possible that current data indicates this. My late father who was a pediatric allergist believed that yolks were the primary problem. Also, I had a chef working for me one time who was allergic to yolks, and use the whites to make all kinds of things.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:06 pm

Carl,

Sorry about your Dad. ITA with you though, it's amazing how "theories" change...and yet, things do NOT seem to be getting better. I know that several years ago, it was common to give children allergy shots, or to have a child who was allergic to egg, eat small amounts of egg or things made with egg. Those adults grew up to have no issues with allergies whatsoever. Now all the allergists advocate total avoidance. Makes me wonder if my son is just being used a guinea pig, since there is no evidence, that I have found, that says that total avoidance is a better alternative. Anyway, too bad your Dad wasn't around, I would have loved to ask his opinions. I hadn't heard that yolks were more allergenic than egg whites...very interesting. Now "they" say that when introducing solids to your infant, one can try cooked egg yolks at 9 months, and cooked egg whites at 1 year. It's actually kind of sad that NO progress has been made in this area!
no avatar
User

Dwight Green

Rank

Wine geek

Morgan Hill, California

by Dwight Green » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:40 pm

It turns out my mother-in-law has The Food Allergy News Cookbook and there is a section in there dealing with egg allergies. Hopefully I can get it in the next few days.

We wondered too if his issues with food might derive in part from being allergic to certain foods. Habits are so ingrained already, but we'll see if there is any change from his "Randy" status. Funny how I used to find that character amusing!