Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bourdain constructs the essential overrated menu

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Bourdain constructs the essential overrated menu

by Jenise » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:45 pm

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Bourdain constructs the essential overrated menu

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:45 pm

Completely cracked me up, Jenise! I guess I must be just as cranky as he is.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:42 pm

ROTFLMAO!!! A fantastic article. Thanks for the pointer, Jenise.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:24 pm

Jenise wrote:Comments?

Great stuff! Cross-posted to LouisvilleHotBytes.com forum, with gratitude. :)
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:12 am

Good yucks. Loved the marshmallow-anise foam. Shocked not to find a Caeser salad strewn with irrelevant leftovers.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:12 pm

Jenise, this is terrific! Thanks for sharing.
My favorite part is "When the water sommelier comes over, I reach for my gun."

Second favorite part is about the T-shirt that should be given to the Chocolate Martini drinkers. Reminds me of the bumper sticker that I think should go on the back of all Hummers.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:59 pm

The only problem with this is that I am now fearful that some enterprising young Sacramento chef will see this and think, "Water Sommelier? Now why didn't I think of that?!"
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:18 am

Obviously, Tony was on autopilot when he wrote this. Probably earned $500 for the 15 minutes it took him.

Shouldn't that choco-martini come with an oyster shooter so he could leave his audience groaning?
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:00 pm

Bernard Roth wrote:Obviously, Tony was on autopilot when he wrote this. Probably earned $500 for the 15 minutes it took him.

Shouldn't that choco-martini come with an oyster shooter so he could leave his audience groaning?

LOL! Actually, I totally disagree with his statements re crust, but I was so happy to see someone denounce foam that I was willing to forgive it.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:46 pm

It's the more poignant for being close to reality. When I saw excessively compound-adjectived, gratuitously-esoterically-sourced fictitious courses, I thought immediately of one real, "destination" restaurant in the Carolinas whose whole menu read like that (but without the irony) when I dined there. Chocolate martinis? Almost too real for a parody. Like those other syrupy sweet Technicolor drinks many young adults now enjoy at fashionable bars.

It's the kind of menu the Hesses parodied 30 years ago in their classic book, The Taste of America.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:51 pm

Ah, the Hesses! Great book, I recall that once or twice I disagreed with their take on things, but their rants were all delicious. Nice review you write there, too, I laughed out loud at the quote about the "flabby little Cornish Game Hens", which was particularly timely as my husband and I were discussing them over our lunch (duck and truffle pate with pickled okra standing in for cornichons) just now, and I was explaining to him the difference between same and the little spring chickens (poussins) I'm going to prepare a la brun with a tarragon pan sauce for our dinner tonight.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:54 pm

The Hesses' book is certainly unique. So exasperated were they, evidently, with pretensions and mythologies in 20th-century US cooking (and especially its professional spokespeople) that they sometimes veered to the unkind or petty. (MFK Fisher wondering about potato water; criticism of Julia Child, especially the review of her biography that is in the current reprint, with little on what good she may have done.) This has turned off some readers, unfortunately, distracting them from the book's enlightening food and food-writing scholarship, its illumination of popular misconceptions and of some genuine feet of clay among popular gurus (Claiborne, Beard). Also, the Hesses' faith in an organic or traditionalistic idyll (reflecting partly, I wonder, the 1970s era when they wrote the original?) became messianic in places.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:23 pm

Max Hauser wrote:Chocolate martinis? Almost too real for a parody. Like those other syrupy sweet Technicolor drinks many young adults now enjoy at fashionable bars.
[/url]

It's only time before we'll start seeing KoolAid-tinis at the 20-something bars. Indeed, damn that I didn't think of the possibilities of combining KoolAid with vodka when I was mixing drinks in high school!
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:17 am

Bernard, when I was a teen, we used to get Coke "Slurpees" from 7-11, pour some out and add rum to them. Yum!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:09 am

Carrie L. wrote:Bernard, when I was a teen, we used to get Coke "Slurpees" from 7-11, pour some out and add rum to them. Yum!

Tang and Gallo Pink Chablis. :oops:
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:43 am

Jenise wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:Bernard, when I was a teen, we used to get Coke "Slurpees" from 7-11, pour some out and add rum to them. Yum!

Tang and Gallo Pink Chablis. :oops:

Bourbon and pink grapefruit juice! :shock:
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:06 pm

Bernard Roth wrote:It's only time before we'll start seeing KoolAid-tinis at the 20-something bars. Indeed, damn that I didn't think of the possibilities of combining KoolAid with vodka when I was mixing drinks in high school!

Well I will admit to using pure pure ETOH (obtained from the gas chromatography lab) mixed with grape juice back in university.....
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:24 pm

Why am I even chiming in...

Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill half and half in a tumbler with beer playing a drinking game called "spoons"...

But this is more about youthful folly than seriocomic libation.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:21 pm

Bernard Roth wrote:It's only time before we'll start seeing KoolAid-tinis at the 20-something bars. Indeed, damn that I didn't think of the possibilities of combining KoolAid with vodka when I was mixing drinks in high school!

Koolaid-tinis! Excellent, Bernard. (I'll think of that word next time I see a bartender serving up martini glasses with incongruous blue or green or scarlet content.)

To your point on creative mixing: There's a US commercial genre as you know (Boone's Farm, Thunderbird, Ripple, etc.) In the 1970s I was told that one such arose when marketing staff at a large winery, known mainly for jug wines, investigated high sales of cheap generic "white port" in a metropolitan ghetto. They found regular drinkers there favored mixing it with Kool-Aid or the like. Being an astute manufacturer, the firm stepped in to offer the finished product direct.

And Carrie, the bit of rum in cola is a popular flavor combination, as you know; but also, fast food counters and cafés in parts of Europe routinely offer rum as a garnish for tea, cola, etc. (Against the cold, I suppose.) As a US teenager there I would sometimes order a cola with a shot of rum in it. (Partly for the sheer novelty of seeing a culture with a more relaxed approach to alcohol -- the US had a strict minimum age of 21. Some Europeans I told about that hardly believed it. Just as some Americans balk when I describe chain fast-food restaurants with a routine liquor selection beside the soft drinks -- and not much used, from what I could see.)