Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Maraschino cherries - Love 'em or Hate 'em?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Love 'em!
39%
Hate 'em!
17%
I only like them in alcoholic drinks with little umbrellas
17%
Indifferent/have no opinion
26%
Aren't you supposed to be working instead of thinking up silly polls?
No votes
What the heck are maraschino cherries?
No votes

Total votes : 23
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:03 pm

Now, I know they are only vaguely related to fruit, or even food, for that matter, but I gotta tell ya when I was a little girl, they were a huge treat. We only got to have them on New Year's Eve, in a glass of ginger ale that we used to toast the New Year.

Last night, my best friend made a pineapple upside down cake, and put one in the center of each pineapple ring. When I laughed and told her nostalgically about what a treat they had been, she joined in because she had the exact NYE experience with them as a child!

We talked about how something that had symbolized adulthood to both of us was the ability to purchase soda and maraschino cherries anytime we wanted!

Discuss!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Maraschino cherries - Love 'em or Hate 'em?

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:20 pm

I thought they were cool when I was 6.

Now I think they are not meant for human consumption.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:54 pm

Haven’t they been shown to be about as bad as cigarettes for causing cancer, at least in California?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:59 pm

What can I say? I like the little devils, particularly when they've been marinated for a good while in a manhattan.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:00 pm

I only like them after they have been swimming in a Southern Comfort Manhattan. My dad always let me have the ones out of his drink when I was a kid and that's what he always drank. Still does at 83 years young!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:41 pm

Like them in cocktails, pineapple upsidedown cake, and (fasten your seatbelts) in otherwise fresh fruit salad!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:59 pm

Those overly sweet, red things with the texture of chalk ??? They were the ultimate treat as a kid - right up there with pop - always in pineapple upside down cakes. Always makes me smile when I see them because it reminds me of "special" celebrations but I go out of my way to have the original Italian version - Marasco liquor and Amarenna cherries on hand to substitute instead.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:30 pm

Carrie L. wrote:I only like them after they have been swimming in a Southern Comfort Manhattan. My dad always let me have the ones out of his drink when I was a kid and that's what he always drank. Still does at 83 years young!

Okay, my father's 85, but ditto ditto ditto. I also loved them in my Shirley Temples, which is what I got to drink at restaurants while Dad was enjoying his Southern Comfort Manhattan.

And a confession: such was my childhood lust for these that a few months ago, I bought a small jar just to see if they still tasted good. They did--I ate the whole jar in one sitting. Which was a lifetime's worth: now I don't care if I ever have another. :)
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:02 pm

Yep, I always got Shirley Temples too. Can't believe all those years I had been drinking 7-UP and grenadine. Blech!

Jenise, I always thought we were long lost soul sisters. ;) I mean, come on, how many other Dads did you know who drank SC Manhattans!
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:07 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Haven’t they been shown to be about as bad as cigarettes for causing cancer, at least in California?

%^)

EVERYTHING supposedly causes cancer in California !

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:18 pm

Carrie L. wrote: I mean, come on, how many other Dads did you know who drank SC Manhattans!

We have the only two I've ever heard of. Which begs the question (cue spooky music): is it really two different dads? Mine travelled a lot....
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:41 pm

Don't leave ne alone with a jar because it will disappear. When I was a kid, I used to like to drink the sugar water they came in, too. In fact, I still do. At the wedding I attended on Saturday, there was an open bar and the barkeep had a glass full of the red dingers right out there. I think I embarrassed Zari because I kept filling my glass with them so I could nosh during all the nuptial preliminaries. :oops:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:11 am

OMG, Gary just reminded me that my Dad also used to pour the juice over our vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Jenise, my Dad was home a lot--hardly ever traveled for business. I think we just have one of those parallel universe things going on. Remember the shared Cary Grant fixation? ;)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:35 am

Hate 'em. Period.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:57 pm

Carrie L. wrote:OMG, Gary just reminded me that my Dad also used to pour the juice over our vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Jenise, my Dad was home a lot--hardly ever traveled for business. I think we just have one of those parallel universe things going on. Remember the shared Cary Grant fixation? ;)

Ah, yes, our Cary. Did I ever tell you that I once knew someone well whose wedding Cary attended? Cary and the bride were friends, having become close after Dyan left (how could anyone leave Cary Grant?). SIGH. Is that one degree of separation or two?

And too bad it's not your father, because it would be nice to be sisters. On the other hand I wouldn't wish my father on anyone so I'm glad for you, thinking you had better.
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:20 pm

Hen Jenise, here's another degree of separation re Cary Grant. I once sat next to him at a Magic Castle show! I think he was over 80 at that time and still very handsome, and his much younger wife was with him.
Ines
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:47 pm

Carrie L. wrote:OMG, Gary just reminded me that my Dad also used to pour the juice over our vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Don't all women share a Cary Grant fixation?

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:27 am

I still like 'em on my ice cream sundaes.

Won't eat them any other way.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:35 am

Ines Nyby wrote:Hen Jenise, here's another degree of separation re Cary Grant. I once sat next to him at a Magic Castle show! I think he was over 80 at that time and still very handsome, and his much younger wife was with him.
Ines

Lucky you to see him in person! I'm envious. Also, a friend of mine's husband was a magician and she mentioned seeing him there often--apparently Cary was quite the regular there.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:59 am

Jenise wrote:
Ines Nyby wrote:Hen Jenise, here's another degree of separation re Cary Grant. I once sat next to him at a Magic Castle show! I think he was over 80 at that time and still very handsome, and his much younger wife was with him.
Ines

Lucky you to see him in person! I'm envious. Also, a friend of mine's husband was a magician and she mentioned seeing him there often--apparently Cary was quite the regular there.

Ah, yes, we need to talk about the trick I do with Maraschino cherry stems.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:29 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
Jenise wrote:
Ines

Ah, yes, we need to talk about the trick I do with Maraschino cherry stems.

I remember that I had a friend back in high school whose sister (who was quite a bit older and more experience than us) could do interesting things with those stems. Looking back, I should have spent more time with her...

- Julia Child