Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP /Foodletter: Italian glossy turkey

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP /Foodletter: Italian glossy turkey

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:01 pm

Italian glossy turkey

A radio food and cooking program that I really need to tune in more often is American Public Media's "<i>The Splendid Table</i>" with Lynne Rossetto Kasper. It airs here late Sunday mornings, not a time that I'm usually listening to the radio.

Still, I have the program's home page bookmarked (it's at http://splendidtable.publicradio.org ), and often check it out to catch up on its articles and recipes. If you enjoy learning about food and culinary culture as much as I do, I think you'll be pleased to discover "<i>Splendid Table</i>," if you're not already a fan, that is!

I'm a little short on time this week, so let's move straight to the recipe, a dish I put together the other night based on a technique featured in the program's Sept. 15, 2007 edition.

The recipe, excerpted from Kasper's cookbook, "<I>The Italian Country Table: Home Cooking from Italy's Farmhouse Kitchens</I>," comes from the Camonica valley in the Italian Alps northeast of Milan.

The recipe was for chicken pieces finished with a process called "glassato" ("shiny" or "glossy" in Italian) that essentially involves sauteing chicken pieces while building a dark, glistening natural sauce by reducing a pan liquid gradually, a little bit at a time (a procedure somewhat reminiscent of making risotto), reducing each portion to a thick, syrupy glaze before adding a little more liquid and repeating the reduction.

Says Kasper, "each ingredient ... gives up its individual identity to a melding of luscious, layered tastes. In the process, each piece of chicken glazes to the color of polished teak."

Her version is printed on "<i>The Splendid Table</i>" Website. Reading it over, it occurred to me that it would gain from a bit more simplification - these pure, intense flavors don't need anything fancy - and that it would work just as well with veal, pork or even turkey as chicken. I just happened to have a chunk of skinless, boneless turkey meat handy, and the rest was easy. I browned the meat briefly, added a little garlic and fresh sage, then built the "glassato" with repeated additions of white wine, chicken broth and a little lemon juice. The cubed turkey cooked down to tender, deeply flavored bite-size bits, and the sauce, just as advertised, reduced to a shiny, intense glaze.

This variation that might be called <i>Tacchino glassato val Camonica</i>. Or you can just call it good.

INGREDIENTS: (Serves two)

1 pound boneless turkey thigh meat (or boneless veal roast, chicken breast, pork)
Salt
Pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic
12-15 fresh sage leaves
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup strong chicken broth
Juice of 1/2 lemon

PROCEDURE:

1. Cut the meat into 1-inch cubes, removing visible fat. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

2. Using a wide, shallow skillet or saute pan large enough to hold all the meat in a single layer, put the olive oil over medium-high heat until it sizzles, then brown the cubed meat on all sides, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes.

3. Peel the garlic cloves and cut them into paper-thin slices. Add the garlic and the whole sage leaves to the pan and cook until they warm through, but don't let them brown.

4. Put in about half of the wine, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the liquid is reduced to a thick glaze, stirring and turning the meat occasionally to coat. Continue this process with the chicken broth, adding about 1/4 cup at a time and cooking until it reduces to a glaze. After about 15 minutes, repeat this process with the lemon juice, then continue with the rest of the wine. When it, too, reduces to a glaze, finish up with the last of the broth. The entire glazing process should take about 25 minutes.

5. Check seasoning and serve, with just enough liquid remaining to coat the meat.

<B>MATCHING WINE:</B> Great with Col di Luna Rosé di Valmonte, the dry Italian sparkling rosé featured in Monday's <i>30 Second Wine Advisor</i>; it would go fine with any Prosecco or other dry bubbly, or just about any crisp, dry white wine.

<center>Subscribe to The 30 Second Wine Advisor's weekly FoodLetter</center>
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: RCP /Foodletter: Italian glossy turkey

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:35 pm

Sounds very tasty! Wonder if it would work with cubed venison backstrap?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:59 am

Robert R. wrote:Sounds very tasty! Wonder if it would work with cubed venison backstrap?

Blackstrap? I thought that was molasses. ;)

Seriously, I guess it would work with any meat, although I'd steer clear of fish or tofu. I think if I were trying it with red meat or game, I'd play around with the flavor elements quite a bit ... red wine, beef broth ... and for meats that require long moist heat, maybe braise to near tenderness before moving to the <I>glassato</i> step. But all that said, it ought to work!
no avatar
User

Toby Hansen

Rank

Just got here

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:09 am

Cleveland

by Toby Hansen » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:18 am

If you're so inclined, many of APM's shows including Splendid Table are available as free podcasts on itunes, so you can listen any old time.

As for the recipe, am I understanding correctly that you leave the meat in the pan the entire time you're making the reduction? I'd think the meat would be overcooked after being in the pan that long.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:35 am

Toby Hansen wrote:If you're so inclined, many of APM's shows including Splendid Table are available as free podcasts on itunes, so you can listen any old time.

As for the recipe, am I understanding correctly that you leave the meat in the pan the entire time you're making the reduction? I'd think the meat would be overcooked after being in the pan that long.

Toby, welcome to the forum, and thanks for the tip on APM Podcasts.

As for the cooking time, I agree that it seems long, but given that Kasper's original recipe called for chicken parts, I figured turkey thigh would hold up under 25 minutes of quick reductions, and I wouldn't be hesitant to use it for veal roast and other longer cooking cuts. The meat ends up very well cooked and the pieces shrink a bit, but they're an excellent texture, and the flavors of the meat and the reduction liquids and herbs and garlic all seem to blend, just as Kasper said.

I once heard a Cajun chef say of shrimp that they should always be cooked for either less than one minute or more than 30 minutes, and I guess a similar principle applies here.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:42 am

Toby Hansen wrote:If you're so inclined, many of APM's shows including Splendid Table are available as free podcasts on itunes, so you can listen any old time.

Nah, it sounds like there is enough liquid to braise the meat and keep it very moist and tender. Kind of like Coq au Vin, Arroz con Pollo or other such dishes.

And welcome to the forum Toby! I think that you will like it here. There are a ton of good recipes going around along with wine pairings and tasting notes galore!

And be sure to search for the Chili thread and read up on post #2. It lays down the rules for pretty much anything. Oh, and beware the Chat Princess!

rwj
no avatar
User

WHBeale

Rank

Just got here

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:20 am

Greensboro, NC

by WHBeale » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:45 am

Re: Cooking time. I have a question about this and about cooking times for cut up meats in general. Many recipes call for cooking cubed meats of this sort for 8-10 minutes. However, I find that they (esp. chicken) are done completely in just 2-3. I like the looks of this recipe, but the idea of an initial sautee of 10 minutes seems over the top to me. What am I doing (thinking) wrong? (I'm not a terribly experienced cook!)
Walter Beale
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:46 am

Robert R. wrote:Sounds very tasty! Wonder if it would work with cubed venison backstrap?

I think that the venison might get a little tough if it were cubed. Try it whole and maybe sear it first, then do some reductions and put it back in near the last reduction so it is medium rare. Oh hell, what do I know?

rwj
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:46 am

WHBeale wrote:Re: Cooking time. I have a question about this and about cooking times for cut up meats in general. Many recipes call for cooking cubed meats of this sort for 8-10 minutes. However, I find that they (esp. chicken) are done completely in just 2-3. I like the looks of this recipe, but the idea of an initial sautee of 10 minutes seems over the top to me. What am I doing (thinking) wrong? (I'm not a terribly experienced cook!)

Hi, Walter! Don't I remember you from the old days? Or was that another Walter Beale? Either way, welcome to the forum, or welcome back.

As I was just discussing with Toby and as Robert answered very well, this glassato process seems to amount to a braise even though it's technically a saute. The meat stays moist, and while it does shrink a bit, the turkey thigh meat, at least, stays tender and the flavors become very intense. I'm not sure if it would work as well with turkey breast.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:49 am

Welcome to the Forum, Toby and WHB! This is the best place on the Web to hang out with like-minded souls.

And ignore what Robert J said about me. I am a lovely woman who likes everybody!! No, seriously!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:55 am

With recipes that cooking turkey breast or chicken breast like this I will always sub thighs. Thighs take a little longer to cook (especially turkey) whereas the breast will cook much more quickly. The breast is also very lean and will dry out fast. Thighs just hold moisture better. Too, I tend not to cube meat for things like this because, as Walter said, it cooks too fast.

Welcome to the forum Walter! It's great to have you here. If you are wanting to know more about food cooking, techniques, history, lore, etc. then this is the place. Same goes for wine. Don't forget to search for the Chili thread and read post #2. And don't worry about the Chat Princess, she's really quite a doll. :)

rwj
no avatar
User

WHBeale

Rank

Just got here

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:20 am

Greensboro, NC

by WHBeale » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:21 am

Thanks Robert, Princess, Robin et al. I love the idea about thighs, and that is what I will do. I AM the Walter Beale from way back. Just as I remember, this is the nicest place!
Walter Beale
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:00 pm

Robert J said
And be sure to search for the Chili thread and read up on post #2. It lays down the rules for pretty much anything.

Indeed, it's a metaphor for life. 8)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:02 pm

Jenise wrote:Robert J said
And be sure to search for the Chili thread and read up on post #2. It lays down the rules for pretty much anything.

Indeed, it's a metaphor for life. 8)

Here, here! Indeed!

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:47 pm

WHBeale wrote:Thanks Robert, Princess, Robin et al. I love the idea about thighs, and that is what I will do. I AM the Walter Beale from way back. Just as I remember, this is the nicest place!

Walter, welcome back. Where were you, in jail? :)
no avatar
User

Toby Hansen

Rank

Just got here

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:09 am

Cleveland

by Toby Hansen » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:31 am

OK, now that I go back and look at it again, the cooking time matches up with thigh meat. However I'd certainly vary the cooking time if I were using chicken breast or cubed meat, as was mentioned in an earlier post.
Thanks for the input and the welcome, all. I think I'm going to like it here.