Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Bourbon-Glazed Salmon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

D.J. McQuade

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:42 pm

RCP: Bourbon-Glazed Salmon

by D.J. McQuade » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:10 pm

We had this dish the other night. This was by bar the best salmon meal I've ever had. Highly recommended.

From Cooking Light

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recip ... _id=226693
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: Burbon-Glazed Salmon

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:16 pm

Welcome to the Forum, DJ!

There are a lot of very friendly and knowledgeable people here. Make yourself at home!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: RCP: Bourbon-Glazed Salmon

by Bob Henrick » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:23 pm

DJ, was this salmon wild caught Alaskan salmon, or farm raised from Chili. I had about quit eating salmon until recently when the wild caught sockeye again became available here in Lexington. I love this deep orange colored flesh of the sockeye, and find that it need little additional flavoring to make it a hit. I simply take some butter and melt it. Chop fresh dill weed and make a dilled herb butter. Brush that on the flesh side of the fish and grill for about 8 minutes at 350-400 degrees then brush with herbed butter again and serve. Even my wife who is not a fan of salmon will eat this twice a month!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

D.J. McQuade

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:42 pm

by D.J. McQuade » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:27 pm

Cynthia,

Thanks for the welcome! Everyone seems awesome!

Bob,

I completely agree with you. I've been getting pretty tired of fish all together with the exception of this grouper that my wife cooks up with a balsalmic vinegar sauce. However, this recipe is like crack. It has SO much flavor ... I only wished I had three more that night. :)

I'm not sure where the salmon came from ... my wife bought it at Tom Thumb. If I had to guess it was farm-raised somewhere. I'll have to try your recipe. The only fish I've had off the grill that I really liked was Ahi Tuna (seared). I'll give your recipe a shot this weekend and see how it turns out!

Thanks!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:51 am

DJ, that sounds delicious. I just printed it to try it next time I make salmon.

Coincidentally, last night we went out to a really good restaurant here in Pinehurst. I had the best salmon I have ever had in my life. It was a huge fillet and I ate the entire thing (much more than I typically would eat, but couldn't stop.) I found the recipe on the restaurant's website http://www.elliottsonlinden.com/home.html. Sharing here in case anyone is interested. (PS> Don't bother with the onion chutney.)

Chipotle Maple Glazed Salmon
by Mark Elliott

Ingredients

4 ea 7 oz Salmon Fillets
2 ea Cedar Planks
1/2 c. Chipotle Glaze
Dollop Onion Chutney

Directions

Pre-soak cedar planks for 1/2 hour before use. Drain. Pre-heat oven to 350-degrees. Liberally brush glaze onto salmon, season with salt and pepper, place on cedar planks, and put planks directly in the oven. Bake until the Salmon is cooked to your liking. To serve: Plate salmon and top with onion chutney and Dijon crème friache.

ONION CHUTNEY

1 ea Onion diced
2 T Apricot Glaze
1/2 tsp Curry Powder
1-2 oz Golden Raisins

Sauté onion until soft. Add apricot preserves and curry powder. Cook until melted together. Add raisins and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

CHIPOTLE GLAZE

1/4 c Jack Daniels
3 oz Chipotle in Adobo
1 ea Ancho, seeded & deveined
2 c raspberry jam, seedless
1 oz Maple Syrup
1 oz Sweet Chili Sauce

Yield: 1 quart

Mix all ingredients in food processor or blender. Puree until smooth.

MUSTARD CRÈME FRAICHE

1/2 c Crème Fraiche
1 T Whole Grain Mustard

Yield: 1/2 cup

Put mustard and crème fraiche in a small bowl and stir until incorporated. Chill.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:15 am

DJ - I made this last night and wanted to thank you for the post. It really is good. It reminds me of Korean Beef Bul-Kogi except for fish. I did toast the sesame seeds, though to bring out their flavor. We even have some left which should be as good or better after the flavors sink in.
I opened a 2002 Cakebread Chard that went pretty well. I think next time I'll open a pinot or a zin or most likely, a Shiraz. I selected the chard because I was afraid that it was peeking and might soon be over the hill.