Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you find it neccessary to truss chickens for roasting?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Do you find it neccessary to truss chickens for roasting?

by Jenise » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:45 pm

I hardly know a chef who doesn't.

Here's Thomas Keller's take on it (from The French Laundry Cookbook):

Not long after I left Roland Henin's kitchen, I was hired to open a new restaurant in West Palm Beach called the Cobbley Nob. It was my first real executive chef position. I cooked classical French food. I was very proud that I had a repertoire of fifteen different classical potato preparations. I cooked everything in clarified buter. I cooked Lobster Bohemiam--lobster with cream and paprika--which was straight out of FVernand Point's book. But the Cobbly Nob, which was near the jai alai courts, died a uick death, and I learned that the quality of the food does not neccessarily deterine the success of a restaurant.

Fortunately, I found another job not far from there at a restaurant called Cafe du Parc in North Palm Beach where the most important thing I learned was how to truss a chicken.

Is learning to truss a chicken that important? I was alsmost stabbbed because I didn't know. The chef, Pierre, was paying me five or six dollars an hour. It was just him and me, getting ready to open the restaurant for the season. Again, a classical French chef. And there I was, this American kid who thought himof himself as a chef. I'd been a chef. I'd gotten good reviews at the Cobbley Nob.

Pierre told me to truss the chickens. I wasn't going to tell him I didn't know how. I fumbled around. I tied the legs together, like at Thanksgiving--I had no idea what I was doing. Pierre watched me. He couldn't understand. He started screaming at me. How could someone who'd been a chef--I was twenty four at this point; in France a cook learns to truss a chicken before he's old enough to drive--how could I claim to be a chef of anything and not know how to truss a chicken? He became so enraged he threw his knife at me. I don't think he was aiming for my heart, but the knife came close enough.

He maintains that trussing a chicken helps it cook more evenly "as it protects the thinnest part of the breat, the part that is most likely to overcook during roasting. "

No question, Chef Keller knows what he's doing. But I have to admit that I'm not a habitual trusser. I tend to only truss stuffed birds, and I promise you, I'm not serving overcooked white meat or pink thighs.

What's your experience?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Do you find it neccessary to truss chickens for roasting?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:56 pm

Nope, I hardly ever bother. But I am not a chef and don't play one on TV (or the 'Net either).
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:30 pm

Just realized that I never truss it for smoking, so (duh) why truss it for roasting?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:18 pm

He maintains that trussing a chicken helps it cook more evenly "as it protects the thinnest part of the breat, the part that is most likely to overcook during roasting. "
Some people can get away with saying anything!! I have never heard of this, nor have I experienced it. I don't truss, and my chickens are always moist and well done!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:40 am

Nope, not a trusser, and haven't had too many complaints about my roasted chickens. I read a long time ago that it makes no difference what-so-ever. Not sure who wrote that but I'm thinking it may have been the late Laurie Colwin. (I miss her.)
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:05 pm

I'm a trusser. Whether in the oven or on the rotisserie where I happen to cook 80% of my chicken.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

How about butterflying?

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:00 pm

I'm generally a follower of a third, less-traveled road: I almost invariably split birds down the back, butterfly and flatten them and roast like that. I think this procedure basically solves all the problems that trussing would address, and results in a tender, juicy bird with crisp skin. What's not to like? Stuffing, if needed for the holiday, should really be done separately anyway, if at all.

In my younger days, learning to be a gormay cook from Julia and James and Craig and Pierre and most of all Marcella, I tried trussing and I tried not. I could never see a difference.

I think it's tradition, and only tradition, and I say the heck with it.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: How about butterflying?

by Robert J. » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:04 pm

Jenise, I never, ever truss a chicken. They lie, lie, lie.

:lol:

rwj
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:17 pm

If I admit I laughed, Robert, will that only encourage you?

Robin, a cooking pal of mine always butterflies too. I think I'll try it next time.
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:15 pm

I guess I'll be contrary as usual—I always truss chickens for roasting.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:18 pm

Jenise wrote:Here's Thomas Keller's take ... Pierre watched me. He couldn't understand. He started screaming at me. How could someone who'd been a chef--I was twenty four at this point; in France a cook learns to truss a chicken before he's old enough to drive--how could I claim to be a chef of anything and not know how to truss a chicken? He became so enraged he threw his knife at me. ...

Here incidentally we see a classic European master-apprentice relationship at work. (US TV-chef Tell Erhardt, 1980, writing of his 1950s apprenticeship to a chef in Germany: The bastard ... he beat me, he kicked me ... BUT he did teach me to like onions.)

The presumption that you always truss is something I've run into in French cookbooks. (Along with phrases like "cut up the chicken in the approved manner" and deliberate omission of Asian recipes -- now popular in Europe -- on the basis that they were "not to European taste" -- Escoffier, early 20th c.) Iconoclasts though, among recent professional cooks who write, argue that trussing is part habit and mostly for appearance. I agree, I've done it but I mostly omit it now -- and the birds come out with legs pointing in various directions. (Though it seems mild once you've witnessed people arm bird-shaped sugar-foam "Peeps" with toothpick swords and cause them to "joust," facing each other inside a running microwave oven, which distorts them in earnest and is very funny if you've never seen it before. Especially after a convivial wine tasting.)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I'm generally a follower of a third, less-traveled road: I almost invariably split birds down the back, butterfly and flatten them and roast like that. I think this procedure basically solves all the problems that trussing would address, and results in a tender, juicy bird with crisp skin. What's not to like? Stuffing, if needed for the holiday, should really be done separately anyway, if at all.

So Robin, do you cook these (sorta) spatchcocked chickens skin side down or up? or do you roll them over half way through cooking? Also, do you cook them direct over the coals, or indirect between two mounds of coals? Or do you do this somehow in the oven?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:43 pm

We've done the split and butterfly bit with turkey. It cooks much quicker that way. Picked up a neat recipe in, of all places, Wine Spectator a few years back.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:06 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:So Robin, do you cook these (sorta) spatchcocked chickens skin side down or up? or do you roll them over half way through cooking? Also, do you cook them direct over the coals, or indirect between two mounds of coals? Or do you do this somehow in the oven?

Bob, I tend to cook indoors more than char-grill, but if I were to grill the butterflied bird, I'd sear it quickly on both sides over direct heat - just long enough to crisp and brown but not to burn, maybe two minutes per side or less; then move it to indirect heat and finish it skin-side up, mostly.

It really varies, because I roast chicken fairly often and don't always do it the same way. In the oven, though, I'll usually start it skin-side up at high temp, let it sear, then reduce heat, turn it over for a while, and turn it one more time to finish skin side up.

Sometimes I'll pull it and quarter it, then finish the four pieces in the oven or over coals as the case may be. And sometimes not. Sometimes shove garlic, fresh herbs or other aromatics under the breast skin, sometimes not. Usually smear it with olive oil or butter before roasting, sometimes not. Usually dust it with S&P or spice, but sometimes ... well, you get the idea.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:59 am

Jenise,

The chickens we roast here in Cincinnati are mostly dead when we get them. Consequently, we don't feel it is necessary to truss them. So far, it has worked.....not one has escaped from the roasting pan or the oven. :lol:

I'll post again if that changes.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:55 am

Robin, I frequently use your butterflying method when I cook a chicken on the grill, but I actually cut the bird in half completely. I have found that if I put the two halves up on the grill's top shelf and adjust the grill to medium heat they get beautiful brown crispy skin all over and don't really have to be tended to. They cook perfectly in about an hour. I guess it has something to do with the heat rising that the tops of the chicken (skin side up) get so brown that way.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:12 am

Carrie L. wrote:Robin, I frequently use your butterflying method when I cook a chicken on the grill, but I actually cut the bird in half completely. I have found that if I put the two halves up on the grill's top shelf and adjust the grill to medium heat they get beautiful brown crispy skin all over and don't really have to be tended to. They cook perfectly in about an hour. I guess it has something to do with the heat rising that the tops of the chicken (skin side up) get so brown that way.

Carrie, I don't know if you brine/marinate your chicken at all, but sometime try an 8-10 hour brine of apple juice, wine and herbs (for additional flavor). The sugars in the juice will turn that skin an incredible mahogany color.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:14 am

MikeH wrote:Jenise,

not one has escaped from the roasting pan or the oven. :lol:

LOL, Mike. Well, looks like I have a lot of company in the not-trussing department (again, except when I stuff them), though Peter I was pretty certain how you would answer, and I admire your commitment to classic technique.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:22 am

Sometimes. But sometimes I butterfly; sometimes I vertically roast.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:43 pm

Depends. If I vertically roast for just the two of us, I don't bother. I love those crisp wings which are a result of not binding to the side of the chicken. In fact, I love my chicken really crispy on the outside. If we are having company, I will tie the wings in and the legs together. It just looks prettier coming out of the oven or off the grill. And, I never know if another wing lover will want those crisp wings.

I always truss my turkeys, because I stuff the inside with lemons, onions, garlic, sometimes apple and celery. The bird just seems to look nicer during the "coming out" party. My personal preference is NOT to truss.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:02 pm

Whilwe I used to enjoy tying up the odd bird in my distant youth.... :wink: I do not truss chickens and have never seen any deleterious effect as a result.