Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Complete Pepin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Complete Pepin

by Larry Greenly » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:28 am

I've been watching Jacque Pepin in his show, Complete Pepin. I find it fascinating. He shows a number of technique tricks and a few recipes. What say you?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Complete Pepin

by Jenise » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:56 pm

Larry, I've not seen the show. But over the years, no cook in America would seem to have done as many episodes as Jacques--he's certainly right up there with Graham Kerr and Julia Child--and though I've never sat through an entire series the man is clearly a great cook, and I admire that he stresses technique. Too bad his shows are so hard to find--or to put it another way, if only the Food Network prized talent and knowledge over boobs and shlock!
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:27 pm

Jenise wrote:... if only the Food Network prized talent and knowledge...

As evidently the Travel Channel does. Some food professionals I know were praising Bourdain's and other intense food programming on that channel. (They had the same view of the Food Network that Jenise does.)

Edited to add: Pépin achieved US popularity 30 years ago with writing like his pictorial book on Technique, which showed more of the procedural skills to an audience accustomed to cookbooks with mostly ingredients and terse recipes. Some of his wisdoms transcend mere cooking. Here's a line I put into a quotations file about 1982 and used occasionally since:

--
Solid background is essential, and must precede inventiveness. An artistic mind can create a stunning decoration for a cold glazed salmon, but the dish will be triumphant only if the salmon is first properly cleaned and poached, and the aspic rich and crystal-clear. This requires hard work and love. (Pépin, La Technique, 1976)
Last edited by Max Hauser on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:41 pm

Max, I love Bourdain's show. But in general I'm not much of a TV watcher--I occasionally see Michael Lamonico's Epicurious show, but what else is on the TC?
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:49 pm

Jenise wrote:...what else is on the TC?

I can't say -- I flipped it on a little, but only to check out the Bourdain show.

One US documentary channel (can't recall which, but I noticed specifically it was not the Food Network) also had an oustanding, penetrating set of programs the last year or two about iconic US food topics: Barbecue, sandwiches, chocolate, whatever. With experts arguing, bits of old history, etc.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:52 am

Larry, I'm with you, I'm a huge Pepin fan. Really enjoyed his tv series with Julia Childs, and have a lot of his cookbooks as well. I spent years hunting for video copies of Today's Gourmet, but never found them !

I recently read his auto-biography - it's a great read if you're so inclined.

Cheers, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:08 pm

Pepin rules!

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:09 pm

Pepin rules! Every one of his books is worth owning.

rwj
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:47 am

Another fan of Jacques here. I am not as down on the Food Network as some - I still love watching Good Eats whenever it's on.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:59 pm

I just don't like the Food Network that much. Like most TV, there are just too many stupid shows on it. And I can't plan my life around the ones that are good.

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Some lovely videos of Pepin and Julia Childs available on the Julia Childs website - http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/video.html

Just select "Jacques Pepin" in the 'Chef' box...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:15 pm

I loved watching their show! Just loved it!

rwj