Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fat replacer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Fat replacer

by Larry Greenly » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:51 pm

Consumer Reports tested a new fat replacer (up to 50%) called Z-Trim, which cut calories. The difference in taste was hard to discern, they said.

Your comments?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Fat replacer

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:39 pm

They don't have much discernment. 8)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:46 pm

I'd trust that result more if Cooks Illustrated had concluded it.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:34 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:They don't have much discernment. 8)

So you've tried it?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:44 pm

Nope, just have experience with CR. I don't find them very reliable and it strikes me as a bit unlikely, so... Maybe the stuff is a miracle, which would be great for my fat butt.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:59 pm

Just dandy.

Where do I sign up for foie gras helper..... :roll:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:49 am

Consumer Reports used Z-Trim in cake and tuna salad to replace half the fat. Here's a link that explains what it is.

http://www.transfatfree.com/pages/review_ztrim.htm
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:10 am

They'll have to pry the butter from my cold, dead hands.

ADM at its finest, apparently.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:08 pm

USDA came up with this product about ten years ago. I haven't read the Consumers bit on the product -- it's available only to hard copy subscribers, not online, and I've momentarily misplaced the issue.

The USDA press release read as follows:

USDA Develops Tasty, No-Cal, High-Fiber Fat Substitute
By Ben Hardin
August 26, 1996

WASHINGTON, Aug. 26--Agriculture Secretary Dan Glickman today announced that the U.S. Department of Agriculture has developed a substitute fat that pleases the palate and adds fiber without adding a single calorie.

The ersatz fat, called Z-Trim, offers a healthful alternative to consumers who want to avoid the fat calories in certain foods, yet crave good taste and pleasing texture. Z-Trim is made from a variety of low-cost agricultural byproducts such as hulls of oats, soybeans, peas and rice, or bran from corn or wheat. The hulls are processed into microscopic fragments, purified, and dried and milled to an easy-flowing powder. When the fragments absorb water, they swell to provide a smooth mouth feel.

Since Z-Trim is made from natural dietary fibers, it will not upset the digestive system when consumed in ordinary amounts.

"Z-Trim is another example of how agriculture research makes a difference in the lives of consumers," said Glickman. "Too often we mistakenly think that agricultural science doesn't matter, that it doesn't touch our lives. But, in fact these kinds of discoveries and inventions can be seen up and down the aisles of every supermarket in this country."

"Z-Trim will give consumers low-calorie, high-fiber, reduced-fat products that still have good "mouth feel," said Glickman. "Offering a good-tasting option to high-calorie indulgences will help people like me stick to our diets and lose our extra pounds.

"A consumer who normally eats 3,500 calories a day could cut as many as 700 calories by eating the same kinds of food in the same volume, but adding about half an ounce of Z-Trim to replace fat."

Inventor George E. Inglett, a chemist with USDA's Agricultural Research Service said that Z-Trim can supply important texture qualities such as appropriate moistness, density, and smoothness in foods ranging from reduced-calorie cheese products and hamburger to baked goods. It can also replace some flour in baked goods.

At the ARS National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research at Peoria, Ill., where Inglett works, food scientist Kathleen Warner made Z-Trim foods for trained sensory panelists. The panelists gave equal marks to standard brownies containing 25 percent fat and Z-Trim brownies with only 15.5 percent fat. In the low-cal Z-Trim brownies, about one-half teaspoon of Z-Trim replaced 29 grams of fat and reduced the normal amount of flour by half.

In 90- to 92-percent-lean ground beef patties, a gel of Z-Trim and water can replace up to 15 percent of the fat, Warner said. Using Z-Trim also boosts the meat's tenderness and juiciness, she added.

ARS has applied for a patent on the process for making the new fat replacer. Once the patent has been received, ARS will license the process to private companies to develop commercial products. Inglett, who also invented Oatrim-10, an earlier fat substitute, has already developed a 1-ounce chocolate bar containing half a gram of Z-Trim, oat fiber, corn syrup, milk chocolate, artificial sweetener, and 1 gram of soluble beta-glucan from Oatrim-10.

Scientific contact: George E. Inglett, Biopolymer Research, National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, ARS, USDA, Peoria, Ill. 61604; phone: (309) 681-6363.

I'll post the CU blurb, but I really wonder if high fiber alternatives wouldn't work as well.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:27 pm

Oh, boy, artificial replacement fat, and developed in government labs. All my buttons pushed in one go. Brilliant! :lol:
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:27 pm

Folks will be able to study this additive, and write reports like this one, Stuart -- it compares oat bran and Oatrim-10, a preceding invention of this group, with unexpected results. Don't know how well it did commercially, though:

The solution rheological behaviors of OATRIM-10 and cooked oat bran were investigated. The rheological properties of the materials were investigated using both thixotropic loop and small-amplitude oscillatory shear experiments. The cooked oat bran exhibited shear-thinning behavior during a thixotropic loop experiment over a shear rate range of 0-250/sec. The shear-thinning behavior was reproduced during the measurement of a second thixotropic loop. In contrast, OATRIM-10 exhibited an unexpected region of shear-thickening behavior at 20-80/sec. The shear-thickening and subsequent shear-thinning regions for OATRIM-10 could be described by a transient network model indicating that the shear-thickening behavior is caused by a shear-induced entangled network that is partially disentangled at higher shear rates. Subsequent thixotropic loop experiments displayed the shear-thickening region for OATRIM-10, indicating that the network structure can be reformed during the imposition of a shear field. Small-amplitude oscillatory shear data for cooked oat bran can be described reasonably well using a generalized linear viscoelastic (GLV) model. The oscillatory shear data obtained for OATRIM-10 could not be described by the GLV model. OATRIM-10 exhibited a distinctive plateau centered at 10/sec, and the low frequency response of storage modulus G(prime) decreased with a much larger slope in frequency than was predicted by the GLV model.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:39 pm

Mmmmmm, mouthfeel.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:03 pm

And they will have to pry the duck fat from my cold, dead hands.

rwj