Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Slow Friday troll: What's for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Slow Friday troll: What's for dinner?

by Jenise » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:08 pm

I pulled out my tomato vines yesterday, and so today we're having our favorite, but saddest pasta dish of the summer, Bucatini (though in this case, bucati because that's as close as I can get) alla Amatriciana, because I make it out of the bucket full of light red tomatoes that never got fully ripe. The pot's on the stove right now.

What's on at your house?
Last edited by Jenise on Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Slow Friday troll: What's for dinner?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:27 pm

Walked into a couple network problems this morning, so it depends on what time I get out of here, but I am hoping to be home early enough to feed my pizza jones. If I'm too late, I'll stop at my favorite Asian bistro and get something to take home.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:30 pm

We are picking up burgers at a new BBQ restaurant in town. They make the best burgers, and their coleslaw is wonderful. I'll add some of my garden tomatoes.
Last night, I stuffed some thick, boneless pork chops, browned on the stove and finished in the oven. I glazed with a mango, habanera sauce. Sides were baked and mashed banana squash, with crystallized ginger, butter and topped with dried cranberries and toasted pecan bits. Coleslaw made with red/green cabbage, carrots, green onion and cilantro with lime vinaigrette. We also had some home made applesauce.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:31 pm

Beautiful fall day here with strong winds -- got the koi pond covered in the nick of time yesterday -- and I'm still thinking.

Janet wants another artichoke and I'll spiff up my recipe for the slow cooker -- and take on Jenise's approach to artichokes on Sunday. Also acorn squash, a baked apple, and roasted chick peas.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:33 pm

Man, my plans have already changed. Anne Brown called to say her hubby brought a 25 pound king salmon home from the Columbia River yesterday, so we're dining on Tsawassen Loop!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:10 pm

Pad prik gai bai grapow (Thai stir-fried chicken with holy basil), served with rice and a salad.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:12 pm

We're going Italian at our house, like you had been Jenise. (The King Salmon doesn't sound too shabby though!) I've been promising my husband for weeks that I'd make Chicken Parm and tonight's the night.

Karen, your pork chop dinner made my mouth water! What did you stuff them with?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:21 pm

Taking a dish of Sweet & Sour Eggplant Soba and an inexpensive Shiraz to a potluck tonight; going to somekind of a Tex/Mex cum BBQ place in Manchester with a daughter tomorrow; and Sunday is a question.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:45 pm

Vegetarian weekend/end of summer garden round up as well : pizzochieri - homemade buckwheat noodles with swisschard and potatoes.
Couscous/sundried tomato stuffed peppers.
Bean soup [ those purple beans are prodigous producers - lots of mature beans but still flowering and beans at all stages] with lancinato kale.

Today is the first day we fired up the wood fired pizza oven. Will keep it going all weekend for bread and focaccia, warmth and atmosphere.

I know I didn't answer the exact question. Sorry. Got carried away about the entire weekend.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:52 pm

Last night (Friday) it was sushi - ordered in. We nibbled on homemade bread while waiting for the mains to arrive, and ended with my one of my fave recipe from Mrs Fields cookbook - super fudge brownies - which I'd baked for Feed the Friends Friday.

Tonight we're heading to my mum's for Hainanese Chicken Rice, my all time favourite meal. I used to ask for it every birthday when I was growing up. It's not my birthday, but she's making it tonight for me anyway... :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:54 pm

Jenise wrote:What's on at your house?

Friday? We're out!

Seviche, a wonderful Nuevo Latino bistro in the city that's run by one of our town's top young chefs (a frequent Beard House visitor) is having a soft opening/party for their new suburban bistro tonight, so we're making sure our passports are up to date and heading out to the 'burbs to see what kinds of awesome dishes he's dreaming up to celebrate.
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:16 pm

It's still Friday night over here (although for most of you it'll be Saturday morning by now :) ). And after a rather hectic, varying stressful day, dinner was a creamy leek and salmon puff-pastry pie (more like a flat en croute than a pie), simply matched with corn from a cob. With a surprisingly pleasant cab. sav. rosado rose.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:17 pm

Ma po tofu. Stir fried snap peas.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:03 pm

My kiddos are sick and the hubby is at a hockey game tonight...so I am cooking for myself. It's going to be a shrimp and veggie curry with some naan bread. To start, a dandelion salad with walnuts, pears, and cheddar cheese.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:05 pm

Going to my first ever "real" wine tasting event tonight, with 150 wines from around the world and food from Tulsa's top chefs. I just gained a pound from thinking about it! :wink:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:25 pm

Happy hour appetizers, most likely. We're having "going away cocktails" for a co-worker at a restaurant owned by basketball star Chris Webber. I'm guessing we won't be getting any great food, but we'll be there before 7:00 so it will at least be cheap....
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:37 pm

Carrie L. wrote:We're going Italian at our house, like you had been Jenise. (The King Salmon doesn't sound too shabby though!) I've been promising my husband for weeks that I'd make Chicken Parm and tonight's the night.

Karen, your pork chop dinner made my mouth water! What did you stuff them with?

Just a simple stuffing, sourdough, onion, garlic, a little broth, thyme, celery, and a little chopped fresh apple.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:49 pm

Going to a pot luck - I made "Italian stew" beef, pancetta, bottle of chianti, lots of thyme, little bit of rosemary, etc. And the baguettes.
Howard
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:a soft opening/party for their new suburban bistro tonight, so we're making sure our passports are up to date and heading out to the 'burbs ...

Boy, did I screw up! I put this event in the wrong calendar slot, and it's not until next Thursday. Didn't figure it out until we got way the hell out in the burbs and found an empty building. {gulp}

Fortunately, there was an excellent sushi bar nearby ...
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:58 pm

Let's see ...

Zari's working and my son, who promised to supply pizza, has decided to hang out with his sister instead. That means scrounging for me.

I'll probably crack open a bag of Trader Joe's "Soycutash" which is a bag of IQF shelled edamame, chopped red bell pepper and corn niblets. I'll will place this is a deep bowl, cover with low sodium, fat free chicken broth and microwave for five minutes. Maybe some vin gris on the side.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:23 pm

Stuffed Cheese Pizza for Colin and salad for me.

rwj
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:11 am

It's my last night cooking for my dad before heading back to CA early tomorrow morning.
Typical Friday night meal - escarole and beans, followed by baked, stuffed grey sole. Tomato and red onion salad.
Fruit and nuts for dessert. Michele Chiarlo Barbera d'Asti - from tumblers.

See you when I get back.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:59 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Seviche, a wonderful Nuevo Latino bistro in the city that's run by one of our town's top young chefs (a frequent Beard House visitor) is having a soft opening/party for their new suburban bistro tonight, so we're making sure our passports are up to date and heading out to the 'burbs to see what kinds of awesome dishes he's dreaming up to celebrate.

I thought of your ceviche restaurant the other night, Robin, when watching an Anthony Bourdain episode on Peru. I had not realized that Lima was crawling with restaurants that serve only ceviche--they mentioned the number in the program, which I didn't retain, but it was like 300.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:00 pm

celia wrote:Tonight we're heading to my mum's for Hainanese Chicken Rice, my all time favourite meal. I used to ask for it every birthday when I was growing up. It's not my birthday, but she's making it tonight for me anyway... :)

Celia, can you describe this dish in more detail?
Next