Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Slow Friday troll: What's for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Slow Friday troll: What's for dinner?

by Jenise » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:05 pm

John Tomasso wrote:It's my last night cooking for my dad before heading back to CA early tomorrow morning.
Typical Friday night meal - escarole and beans, followed by baked, stuffed grey sole. Tomato and red onion salad.
Fruit and nuts for dessert. Michele Chiarlo Barbera d'Asti - from tumblers.

See you when I get back.

Sounds good. How's your dad doing? I'm sure it's tough being on his own now.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:01 pm

Jenise wrote:I thought of your ceviche restaurant the other night, Robin, when watching an Anthony Bourdain episode on Peru. I had not realized that Lima was crawling with restaurants that serve only ceviche--they mentioned the number in the program, which I didn't retain, but it was like 300.

We did eat a lot of ceviche in Peru!

As it happens, although our restaurant Seviche certainly features both traditional and fusion-style seviches on the menu, it's not really what I'd call a "ceviche restaurant" but an upscale eatery with a signature chef who puts his personal stamp on a wide variety of Nuevo Latino dishes. I love that place ...
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am

Jenise wrote:Sounds good. How's your dad doing? I'm sure it's tough being on his own now.

Remarkably well. Going on 85 years of age, still goes to work each morning. He cooks for himself, which doesn't sound like much until you consider that it is a skill he only picked up after he turned 80. He's not too good at it, but he eats all his mistakes and he's eager to learn.

He's terribly lonely but he's dealing with that as best he can. My brothers and I try to keep him company as much as possible.

I hope I have his energy when I'm his age.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:14 pm

Still goes to work, John? That's amazing and wonderful, at his age simply filling one's time is often the hardest part of the day. Does he still have the deli you spoke of growing up in?
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:25 pm

Our son came home from college for the weekend, sort of.

Friday night the 3 of us went to the local roadhouse so he could get a "real" hamburger, not the fake stuff passed off as such in college cafeterias.

Saturday, he headed up to OSU to visit friends so we were free to eat fish. Had tuna grilled with a little EVOO, sea salt and pepper. Side dish was grilled romaine wrapped with prosciutto.

Tonight will be rib-eye steaks before said son returns to Illinois. Sometime tonight we will make a Cooking Light recipe, beef with red wine and mushrooms for weekday dinners.
Cheers!
Mike
Previous