Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fun Class Today

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Fun Class Today

by Robert J. » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:36 pm

Today at the Central Market Cooking School we hosted a class that allowed kids and their parents the opportunity to cook together. Yes, it was a hands-on class so the students did all of the cooking.

What really struck me, though, is how reserved everyone was when they came into class. Kids only talking to their parents and in very subdued tones as well (parents too). But the minute the prep and cooking got going the whole environment changed. Everyone got really chatty and just had a lot of fun. It was the kind of thing that happens so often around food, the table, or in the kitchen.

I love the way that food brings people together. And while the menu today was very simple and not in the least haut cuisine, the food came out great and everyone loved it. Who knew that Salibury Steak could be so fun and good? This was a class more about comfort and solace than it was food, it seemed. I hope that all the parents and kids today will continue to cook at home and learned to enjoy the adventure that is food.

Here are some pics from the day:

And you gotta love this one:

rwj

Pics used with permission.
Last edited by Robert J. on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Fun Class Today

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:39 pm

Looks like a great day, Robert. What a fun place you teach!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:42 pm

I like seeing them use their hands and getting a tactile sense of what they prepare. For my kid, that's very important- he knows if a dough is too wet or too dry just from how it feels in his fingers.

Nice pics, thanks!
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:07 pm

Great photos, Cowboy ! Sounds like a fun day indeed...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:11 pm

Looks like it was a great class Robert...great pics too. I hope I can do that with my children someday. TFS!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin