Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Lockers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Lockers

by Redwinger » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:03 am

One of my pet peeves is the tasteless/industrialized/ vacuum sealed pork available in suburban Indianapolis...totally devoid of flavor. Part of the problem is that the meat has been stripped of almost all fat and the hogs are bred to be leaner than a 16 year old Britney Spears.
When I make my semi-annual trip to rural Northeast Iowa one of my must-go places is the local meat locker. You know the kind of place where the slaughtering done out back and a retail operation in front. Last week I stopped in and they only had a few thick sliced chops in the display case. No problem said the helpful lass behind the counter. They opened the door to the refrigerated meat locker (the kind with a heavy metal door) and trolleyed out a half hog hanging from a hook. I'm sure this hog was running around some local farmer's farm just a day or two ago. They sliced and sawed until the order was filled and I was quickly on my way. I got to thinking that my soccer Mom/Dad neighbors would probably barfed on the spot...sissies.
I grilled up some of those chops yesterday and boy were they ever good. Fresh pork is pink, not the cadaver like white stuff sold in the local groery store.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Lockers

by John Tomasso » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:54 am

I hear you, brother, and tasteless pork has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. While I haven't gone to the extreme that you describe, I have found a reliable butcher who sells a heritage pork product that tastes like pork! None of the injected saline solution to interfere with browning, either. It costs more, but it is well worth it.

Thankfully, there are still some butchers out there who "get it" and offer quality products. If you're doing your shopping in mainstream supermarkets, however, then you can fuggedaboutit.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"