Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New variety of potato

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:30 am

Manchester UK

New variety of potato

by Dave C » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:07 am

A new variety of potato is now available in the UK:-

'A Shropshire farm has been showcasing its first crop of the newest potato to be grown in Britain for 400 years.

Named Mayan Gold, the crop has taken 15 years to develop after an ancient variety was brought back from Peru.'

Since this is a 'Kitchen' forum - I better add that you are not supposed to boil these potatoes as they break-down so easily - they should be steamed - although they can also be roasted or fried.

EDIT - they are much yellower in colour and are described as having much more flavour.

Here's the link:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/5412360.stm

Cheers, Dave C
I'm daveac - host of The 'Big and Fruity' Wine Podcast on Talkshoe ID 112272 every Tuesday at 5PM EDT
My vblog is on blip.tv & I'm co-host of The Cultdom Collective Podcast Talkshoe ID 54821 Sun 2PM EDT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: New variety of potato

by Jenise » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:35 am

Cool! A show I saw on Peru the other night mentioned that they have 3,000 different varieties there, including a small potato that's dried and added to stews in its dried form. Having a big selection sounds heavenly: even in England, you get more choice of potato varieties than we do in the U.S.