Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I'm so excited

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

I'm so excited

by Thomas » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:05 pm

Last year I started a peach tree from seed and it is in the ground this year doing quite nicely.

Also last year, my wife got me an olive tree...in a large pot. I never thought I could get it through the winter, but I did.

This year she bought me a lemon tree (she buys these things for my birthday, which happens to be in summer). Now, I have over a dozen tiny, still green meyer lemons on a small tree in a large pot.

Add these to my four fig trees (also in large pots...barrels, actually) and I am becoming a veritable hot climate farmer in the Finger Lakes.

I'm so excited that I'm trying to start three peach trees this year from seed.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: I'm so excited

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:24 pm

Thomas wrote:This year she bought me a lemon tree (she buys these things for my birthday, which happens to be in summer). Now, I have over a dozen tiny, still green meyer lemons on a small tree in a large pot.

Geez, you're as giddy as I am. I have a dwarf Meyer lemon tree planted in wine barrel and grapevines dangling from my deckl. I've got them situated so that I can watch them all day from my home office desk. You know there are therapy groups for people like us!? :wink:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:18 pm

Hey, I know how you feel. I, too, have a lemon tree in a climate that is brutal to citrus in the winter. My "dwarf" lemon tree must be 20 feet tall and loaded with lemons. Last year we had long periods of frost, so Gene put a mechanics light into the tree and kept it warm. It is doing so well.

I am also excited that in our hot summer climate, we own four dogwoods, many azaleas, and eight Japanese Maples of different varieties....in our sweltering summers the overhead oaks provide the needed protection. I love creating micro-climates in my yard and getting plants to grow, which may not like our climate.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:40 am

Stay posted! This summer I bought a Kaffir Lime Tree that I planted in a large pot. Two weeks ago I hung christmas lights on it and covered it with 2mil tarp (also did the same with my bougainvillea) leaving enough of the soil exposed to reap the benefits of the rain, just to try to winter them over. The Kaffir Lime is just budding fruits!!! I can't believe it! And, it is continuing to sent out new leaves, as is the bougainvillea. Is it my imagination, or might this be working? Stay tuned!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:39 pm

Good on ya', Thomas.

I'm fortunate enough to have bought a house that had a large and at least twenty year old Meyer Lemon tree in my back yard. We eat lemons when they're ripe, and zest and juice the rest, which we put in the freezer. If you zest up the lemons and roll them up in spoon-sized balls in freezer wrap, then when you want to perk up a dish during any time of the year, you just unwrap and pop in the zest.

Enthused by the Meyer Lemon, I planted a Bearss Lime this year and got a decent crop of fruit right away. Also planted a Navel Orange, but it's not as quick to bear, so I think I'll have to wait til next season to see how that one does.

And we have a sole olive tree, which we transplanted from our previous house. It's now deciding whether it likes the new place...but it's looking good.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:40 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:You know there are therapy groups for people like us!? :wink:

Yes, I know; they are called wine tasting groups.

Next month I have to transfer one fig tree, whose barrel has deteriorated after 10 years on the roll-out cart. Notice my grammar, referring to the tree as if it were a person...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:45 pm

As you should, Thomas. Trees definitely have spirits.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:46 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:As you should, Thomas. Trees definitely have spirits.

All my plants have spirits, Cynthia, and some even hold pretty good conversations with me.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:30 pm

I never worry about those conversations, Thomas, unless the plants start answering back. :shock:

When they do, though, I'm always impressed with their profundity. :)
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Re: Meyer Lemon Trees

by RichardAtkinson » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:30 pm

On the subject of Meyer Lemon trees...I'v got an improved meyer lemon tree in a planter with quite a bit of partially ripened fruit on it. But the weather is cooling off a bit. Will these continue to ripen? Do they need to be full yellow before harvest? When is the normal harvest time for these?

Richard
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:29 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:On the subject of Meyer Lemon trees...I'v got an improved meyer lemon tree in a planter with quite a bit of partially ripened fruit on it. But the weather is cooling off a bit. Will these continue to ripen? Do they need to be full yellow before harvest? When is the normal harvest time for these?

Richard

From what I understand, Meyer trees are fine above 50 degrees F. Lower than that and they should be taken inside.

As for your other questions, I've yet to learn those answers.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:15 am

RichardAtkinson wrote:On the subject of Meyer Lemon trees...I'v got an improved meyer lemon tree in a planter with quite a bit of partially ripened fruit on it. But the weather is cooling off a bit. Will these continue to ripen? Do they need to be full yellow before harvest? When is the normal harvest time for these? Richard

We do have a citrus grower in the group, but I will dare to answer all the same ... since he answered the same question for me. You should let the lemons turn yellow and then you can leave them hang until they fall off by themselves. It seems the best place to store them is on the tree.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:34 am

All my plants have spirits, Cynthia, and some even hold pretty good conversations with me.

"I'm bigger than you! I'm higher on the food chain! Get in me belly!"
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:14 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:

More like, "if you bite into me I will release a fine poison..."
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:33 am

Thomas wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:

Here I go off on a tangent, but your comment reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend who is a practicing Muslim and an adherent of Sufffism. The woman is quite devout. We were discussing eating pork or not eating it in her case and she commented seriously that pigs were very smart animals and knew when they were going to be slaughtered. In the moments before slaughter, they would release a poison from their brains which would then make their meat toxic. And this why one should not eat pork. Seriously ...
And now what?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:01 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:

Here I go off on a tangent, but your comment reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend who is a practicing Muslim and an adherent of Sufffism. The woman is quite devout. We were discussing eating pork or not eating it in her case and she commented seriously that pigs were very smart animals and knew when they were going to be slaughtered. In the moments before slaughter, they would release a poison from their brains which would then make their meat toxic. And this why one should not eat pork. Seriously ...

Well, Gary, there are many claims that organized religions make to justify established ritual...some even sound good, too!!!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:16 pm

I know how you feel. I am totally enthralled with my 3 figs, Meyer lemon, blood orange, kaffir lime and laurel [bay] trees. Even more so that I live in an area that sees 30 below zero weather in the winter. All are potted and brought indoors for the winter in a room with southern exposure and lots of sun. I am thrilled with how well they are doing. Grapes, arctic kiwi and other hardy fruiting shrubs/vines stay outdoors.

I totally refuse to plant anything in my yard or in pots that does not
produce something edible. It is amazing how much there is to experiment with from ground cover to shrubs to trees that fits the bill. Why plant a tree/shrub that is solely ornamental when many of the edible ones are just as ornamental ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:11 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:
I totally refuse to plant anything in my yard or in pots that does not
produce something edible. It is amazing how much there is to experiment with from ground cover to shrubs to trees that fits the bill. Why plant a tree/shrub that is solely ornamental when many of the edible ones are just as ornamental ?

My feeling exactly. We have even planted edible ground cover so that we can trim it by eating it.

But, big but, we still like to have various flowering plants that are not edible but are wonderful to have around.

And our Finger Lakes weather is closely related to yours...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:12 pm

when your wife gets you a partridge in a pear tree, can the maids-a-milking be far behind?
david creighton
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:50 pm

creightond wrote:when your wife gets you a partridge in a pear tree, can the maids-a-milking be far behind?

Awesome! I wish I had thought of that one! I'll bet his wife is waiting for those five gold rings too. Just watch out for the 12 lords-a-leaping.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:04 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
creightond wrote:when your wife gets you a partridge in a pear tree, can the maids-a-milking be far behind?

Awesome! I wish I had thought of that one! I'll bet his wife is waiting for those five gold rings too. Just watch out for the 12 lords-a-leaping.

Five gold rings! I'm not sure I like this line of thinking. (Her birthday is two weeks away, come up with a better song, please.)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:01 am

Thomas wrote:

Glad to know that some people get it. Good job on the trees Thomas! Give them my best.

rwj
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:35 pm

Robert J. wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Good job on the trees Thomas! Give them my best.

rwj

Have you been seeing my trees behind my back?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:34 am

Thomas wrote:
Robert J. wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Good job on the trees Thomas! Give them my best.

rwj

Have you been seeing my trees behind my back?

LOL. Thomas, I see every tree behind your back!

rwj