Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Pulled Pork Barbeque

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

RCP: Pulled Pork Barbeque

by Carl Eppig » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:05 am

PULLED PORK BARBEQUE:

3 lbs Pork roast (preferably Boston Butt)

Smoke for four hours (internal temp 170 degrees), and let stand one hour . Shred (pull), add to sauce, and warm through.

Sauce:

Small onion chopped
1 ½ T Bacon fat
½ C Ketchup
½ tsp Prepared mustard
½ C Beef stock
2 T Lemon juice
1 T Red wine vinegar
1 T Honey
1 T Worcestershire sauce
¾ tsp Lawry salt
¼ tsp Pepper
½ tsp Ground celery seed
Few drops Tabasco
Few drops Wright’s Liquid Smoke

Nuke onion in fat. Stir mustard into ketchup and whisk into stock. Add to saucepan along with onion and all other ingredients. Bring to boil, and simmer fifteen minutes.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: RCP: Pulled Pork Barbeque

by Bob Henrick » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:01 pm

Carl, I do my pork butts a little different than you do. I take 15 - 18 pounds of butt, load up my Kamado grill with about 12 or so pounds of charcoal. I use a mix of extruded coconut shell charcoal and regular hardwood lump. (I never use the briquette stuff due to all kinds of filler in it). I get the cooking chamber up to 200 - 220F and maintain that temp throughout the cook which takes about 20 hours. I cook to an internal temperature of 190 - 200 which completely breaks down all collagen and the meat becomes melt in your mouth tender. For sauce I use Chef Carey's recipe, I get compliments on the meat and the sauce, but of course give chef all those regarding the sauce. Your sauce sounds great, and I need to try it too.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:00 pm

Bob, we have a hard time getting the larger cuts of pork in these parts. Essentially this recipe has been cut in half from what we did in the ole days.

This time we used a 2.75 lb boneless loin. Used our electric smoker with oak chips. Had no problem tearing it apart with a kitchen fork.

The best part is that there is still some in the fridge for another day.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:10 pm

Sounds delicious Carl. At 2.75 pounds was it a piece of loin, or a tenderloin. The latter is so tender it would be perfect! Of all the cuts of pork I have done on my grill, I still have not done a pork loin. I need to do one and butterfly it and do it with fresh spinach and 2-3 different cheeses. I really need to do that.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:25 pm

Try coating the pork butt liberally with a dry barbecue spice rub the night before you plan to smoke it.

I cook mine in a closed barbecue pit with an offset firebox, using hickory wood as the fuel. No need for liquid smoke if you do it that way vs. charcoal.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:52 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Try coating the pork butt liberally with a dry barbecue spice rub the night before you plan to smoke it.

I cook mine in a closed barbecue pit with an offset firebox, using hickory wood as the fuel. No need for liquid smoke if you do it that way vs. charcoal.

-Paul W.

You have got it right Paul. I had an offset before I bought the Kamado, and cooked many a pork butt and slabs of ribs on it. One thing I like about the offset is that I could put a dish with wine or apple juice of some other liquid under the pork and the liquid would infuse the meat as well as keeping it moist. The Kamado however is better in that I can control the heat, and being ceramic retains moisture. Do you have a favorite rub you use for pork? I have a mix of several different rubs I use including Chef Carey and Emeril, plus some others.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:08 pm

Guess I didn't explain that we use an electric smoker that uses a half gallon of water over the heat. The soaked chips go around the heating element at the bottom. We don't use charcoal when smoking.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:06 am

Carl Eppig wrote:Guess I didn't explain that we use an electric smoker that uses a half gallon of water over the heat. The soaked chips go around the heating element at the bottom. We don't use charcoal when smoking.

Next best thing to hardwood fire in an offset firebox--or a Kamado.

One of these days I aspire to own a Kamodo. Temperature control with an offset firebox is a pain in the pork-butt.

The results are still worth the effort, though.

-Paul W.