Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Whole Lemon Cake/Muffins

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

RCP: Whole Lemon Cake/Muffins

by Bill Spencer » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:38 am

%^)

THANK YOU SUE !

Went out in the backyard this morning and picked a big lemon off my tree ... told myself if this worked for oranges/minneolas, it would work for lemons ... and boy did it work ! Ummmmmmmm ... Kathleen made it while I showered and dressed for work ...

1 Large lemon, cut into wedges and seeds removed
4 oz. Melted butter
1 1/2 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/2 C Flour
2 t Baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees for cake or 400 degrees for muffins

In a blender or food processor blend the lemon until a lightly chunky puree forms ... add the butter, sugar, and eggs and blend until smooth ... in a large mixing bowl add the flour and baking powder and mix ... pour the lemon mixture into the bowl and mix well ... pour the batter into a 9 X 9 greased cakepan or into a muffin/cupcake tin ... for a cake, bake for 30 minutes, check with a toothpick, and either remove from oven or cook up to 10 minutes more ... for muffins, bake for 20 minutes and remove from oven ...

Agree with Sue - reminds me of a Madeira cake ... the small bits of lemon rind add a nice flavor of lemon on the back palate that stays with you ... Kathleen says the next time she makes it she wants to pour a light glaze over the top ... anyway - everybody here at work LOVES the flavor of this cake - a winner !

Again - THANKS SUE for the great idea ... going to try this with a grapefruit and will let you know ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Re: RCP: Whole Lemon Cake/Muffins

by Bill Spencer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:07 am

Bill Spencer wrote: ... Kathleen says the next time she makes it she wants to pour a light glaze over the top ...

%^)

Kathleen served this for dessert last night and topped it with a very light, almost see-through powdered sugar glaze over the top ... added just the right amount of sweetness and mellowed the lemon rind flavor that tends to linger on the back palate ... minneola season is just a couple months away and will definitely give this a try with ripe tangelos ...

Decided not to try this with grapefruit after talking to my brother ... he reminded me that Desert grapefruit tends to have a much thicker rind than grapefruit produced in other growing areas and would likely accentuate the rind flavor on the back palate to the point of perhaps bitterness ...

Anyway ... the whole orange/lemon cake/muffin recipe is a definite keeper ... thanks again Sue ...

Clink !

%^)
Last edited by Bill Spencer on Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Whole Lemon Cake/Muffins

by Jenise » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:24 pm

Do you remember when lemon jello cake was all the rage? It had a glaze like that. (Confession: I was smitten by that cake when I was a teenager, so much so that I tried every flavor of jello in it. None were successful, only the lemon due to the sweet-sour balance, but it was a fun exercise.)