Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking This Weekend?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

What's Cooking This Weekend?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:21 am

I'm in autumn comfort food mode... I started sauerbraten this morning. We'll rush the marinating just a bit and have it Sunday evening.

I also feel a flurry of pumpernickel bread baking coming on. It just goes so well with the sauerbraten!

What are you making this weekend?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: What's Cooking This Weekend?

by Robert J. » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:53 am

Princess, you have just convinced me to make some cabbage with caraway and mustard this weekend. I'll probably make a loaf of rye or pumpernickel, too. Yum, I love autumn.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:36 am

Funny, I've been in a similar mood. Tuesday threw me off track with an atypical heat wave of mid-70's temps, but it's 32 degrees outside as I type so I'm once again dreaming of cabbage rolls. I have a ham in the fridge waiting to be ground for that.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:25 pm

Comfort food for sure! I've been thinking soups. Think I will try butternut squash/apple soup this week. Last week I made chef Suvir Saran's Creamy Cauliflower and Spinach soup from his recent book American Masala. (If you like fusion cuisine, I'd recommend a review of his book). Rather than water, I used chicken broth and I replaced the milk with half and half. (I just needed that velvety mouth feel). The soup left me wanting more. So, this weekend either Creamy Butternut Squash and Apple or Italian Wedding soup will be on the menu.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:52 pm

Celia's Sticky Ribs.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:25 pm

A bit of a treat for me after a bit of a stressful work/hospital week. Ewie cooked one of his special veggie (aka quorn mince) chillies today - with mature beans from our home grown runner beans (large pink & black speckles - very carby :D ).

There's enough with fluffy basmati rice and wholemeal pittas to last all weekend - so it'll be easy living for me!

2006 Malbec from Valdiviesco of Chili just opened - definitely needs to breath a bit! :roll:
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:47 pm

With the cold and wet (finally some rain!) weather, Cynthia, I think at last I'll be able to put a simply fondue together. I went to Cowgirl Creamery two weeks ago and got some cheeses I've never heard of before and tomorrow I'll be at a tasting during which I hope to find some new vino blanco to try. I can't wait as in my family fondue's a fall ritual right after the the humming birds leave for the winter.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:06 pm

We love fondue, Jon, and have it all year long. Yum!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:41 pm

On travel, so no chance to cook until next weekend. :cry:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:42 pm

Jenise wrote: I'm once again dreaming of cabbage rolls. I have a ham in the fridge waiting to be ground for that.

Jenise, what else do you put into your rolls besides ham? I grew up on my mom's cabbage rolls filled with what she referred to as "Spanish rice." Basically ground beef, crumbled bacon, white rice and Campbell's tomato soup. She topped them with cheddar cheese and sometimes bacon slices.

When I met my husband, he told me about his Polish mother's cabbage rolls, "Gwumpkies." Completely different from the ones my mom made.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:05 pm

I just can't eat fondue when it's 95 degrees in the shade and 95% humidity.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:30 pm

Hmmm...6.30am here on Saturday morning, and I'm up to start a couple of trays of focaccia. I was given a stack of cookbooks yesterday by a friend who's emigrating, so I might see what inspiration comes from those. Will post again if I come up with anything exciting. :)

Hope the ribs work well, Paul ! :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:41 pm

a simple tea for us tonight, of buttered bread, a couple of interesting cheeses from the market (last week) in Cuneo, Piemonte and a little piece of spiced apple to add zest. Simple and light is getting to be regular for us on a friday night.

Saturday will probably be a chilli using home grown chilli peppers (I don't know the variety, but they go by the name of 'little b*stards'). Maybe a late breakfast of wild mushrooms if 'the brains of the operation' finds some on her morning walk.
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:02 pm

I've got 40 people coming for dinner tomorrow night, to celebrate our eldest daughter's 30th birthday. She loves lamb, so there will be grilled boneless leg of lamb, marinated in red wine, garlic, parsley and rosemary, Saffron rice, a cucumber& yogurt salad, an Aleppian vegetable stew featuring cabbage, carrots, chickpeas and tomatoes, hummus and a variety of fresh breads and cheeses. And a gorgeus basket made of caramelized nuts and chocolate, filled with cake and custard and topped with berries and sliced fruit. and a mocha cake. (the sweets are not homemade). Besides a double magnum of Lungarotti Rubesco Riserva, I'm opening some Italian Pinot noir and I don't know yet what else, but for sure a magnum of 1977 (her birth year) Grahams vintage porto.
And yes, I've got help in the kitchen.
Ines
no avatar
User

Dwight Green

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:36 am

Morgan Hill, California

by Dwight Green » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:57 pm

No plans yet other than a request to bring a vegetable tart (which has bell peppers and eggplant among other veggies, as well as plenty of herbs) to a dinner tomorrow night. I've had a hankering for chicken pot pie, so I'll probably do my favorite recipe of that.
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:26 pm

Corned beef - cabbage - boiled potatoes - English mustard - semi-dry Vignoles. It's cold and wet here in West Virginia, and so am I. Been pressing grapes all day and am worn out. How's that for comfort food?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:30 pm

Tonight it is grilled turkey burgers on onion buns, with garden tomatoes and letuce from my garden.These turkey burgers have Panko bread crumbs, thyme and fresh lemon juice and zest. A round of goat cheese is tucked into the middle. Sweet potato fries with rosemary.

Tomorrow I am making an Ina Garten menu that looked good to me. Whole roasted lemon chicken, served over sourdough croutons. Caramelized whole shallots and green beans with red and yellow bell peppers.
Sunday....leftovers!
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:32 pm

cabbage belongs in coleslaw and stir-fry, not much else for me.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:00 pm

We enjoyed a super garlicy Shrimp Scampi on linguini tonight, and will be putting together a Lasagne tomorrow.

Sunday we will be on the road.
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:54 pm

Grilled salmon over mesquite or oak and mixed veggies I think.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:03 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Ron! It's a really great place with lots of wonderfully knowledgeable and fun people. Just ask us, and we'll tell you so! 8)
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:20 am

Baby back ribs (dry, just sprinkled liberally with spices), baked yams and sweet white corn. Washed it down with Page Springs Winery 2005 Zinfandel.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:20 am

Keep it coming, folks! I have to make something to bring to a Halloween party tomorrow night and I'm still looking for the right dish.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:11 am

How about one of those dishes that's made up of finely chopped cabbage, chopped apples, crumbled bacon, all sauteed in a little bacon fat with maybe a small amount of vinegar and a little brown sugar. No doubt someone here has a more detailed recipe. It could be defined, very broadly, as coleslaw. :-)
Next