Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Happy Pumpkin Day

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Happy Pumpkin Day

by Bill Spohn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:23 am

And I learned something this year I probably should have known - the cultivar of pumpkin grown for jack o' lanterns is very different from the cultivars that are any darned good for cooking. Do not try to make anything from Hallowe'en pumpkin. Just stick a candle in it for one night and then toss it in the trash.

So we have this whole industry aimed at creating masses of inedible pumpkins just as we have for creating the symbolic sacrificial (well outside observers would say we were worshipping them) dead trees at Christmas. Both could be better directed to creating food for people that need it.

Hmmmm.
Am I the only one that this strikes as at least a bit strange?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Happy Pumpkin Day

by Jenise » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:59 am

Both could be better directed to creating food for people that need it.

I've thought so many times. But yes re "sweet" pumpkins vs. "field" pumpkins. I always buy a few sweet pumpkins at this time of year for pumpkin pie. We also adore pumpkin diced and tossed with olive oil and minced garlic, then baked at high heat (around 450) until the sugars in the pumpkin start to singe. Great side side for grilled chicken breast.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:38 pm

I certainly did not know this about pumpkins, but then I have never seen them labeled, "field" or "sugar". So, how do you tell which type you are buying? Actually, all I ever did with them was to scoop out the seeds so my daughter could salt and roast them, then we carved them. Most of those hard skin pumpkin/squash types are dangerous to peel.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:32 pm

There was a recipe in the Raleigh paper the other day that sounded very intriguing. A French recipe that is basically a baked pumpkin stuffed with layers of bread, creme fraiche and gruyere cheese. Once it is baked, you "stir" the ingredients together. Has anyone tried anything like this? My husband said, "Yuck," but I think it has potential.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:02 pm

Yuck! is right! :shock:
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:44 pm

I've seen variations on the puking pumpkin - this one's pretty good! :)
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca