Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pu Erh Tea

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Pu Erh Tea

by Christina Georgina » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:27 am

If you dont' know it - you gotta try it. I was not sold simply reading the sellers blurbs. An office mate gave me a cake and I am drinking nothing else. The printed descriptions are all wrong and misleading. What a fantastic tea. If leery, try a sample from Upton Teas - they have a fantastic sample program - small quantities, reasonable cost, terrific service.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Pu Erh Tea

by Robert J. » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:59 pm

I love this tea. I drink both the black and green varieties religiously.

rwj
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:26 am

Ditto. It's one of my very favorites and has a complexity that I do not generally find in teas.

Anyone care to suggest a food match? I'm thinking a mildly sweet kheer.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:38 am

That sounds nice, Stuart. I would think that a Halwa would be nice, too.

rwj
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:41 am

Robert J. wrote:I love this tea. I drink both the black and green varieties religiously.

I've tried drinking things religiously, but always find that my knees get sore before I finish the bottle..... :shock:
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:44 am

Bill Spohn wrote:
Robert J. wrote:I love this tea. I drink both the black and green varieties religiously.

I've tried drinking things religiously, but always find that my knees get sore before I finish the bottle..... :shock:

LOL!

This is a Chinese drink so I get to sit on my butt with my legs crossed; much nicer.

rwj
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:55 am

Thanks for the reminder about the tea, BTW. I love tea, I just don't get around to buying or drinking it as often as I used to - too much into the coffee mindset I suppose.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:23 am

Pu Erh reminds me of a vivid childhood experience -- tunneling through a pile of raked autumn leaves. The smell is so earthy, so much like those wet leaves, slightly decayed.

Some Chinese restaurants, Dim Sum places, will serve you a mixture of chrysanthemum blossom tea and Pu Erh. The freshness of the flower tea offsets the earthiness of the Pu Erh.

It is very different from most teas and worth a try. I seem to be fixated on good Oolongs though at present.

Frank
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:33 am

Where's a good mail order source of Pu Erh Tea? I don't seem to find it on the Stash website, where we usually buy our tea.

Thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:31 am

Bob Ross wrote:Where's a good mail order source of Pu Erh Tea? I don't seem to find it on the Stash website, where we usually buy our tea.

Thanks, Bob

http://www.uptontea.com

F
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:50 am

Robert J. wrote:I would think that a Halwa would be nice, too.

Tried it yesterday. Works for me. I love Pu Erh - it's earthy/forest floor-like - like a good old Burgundy, lol!

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:41 am

Bob Ross wrote:Where's a good mail order source of Pu Erh Tea? I don't seem to find it on the Stash website, where we usually buy our tea.

Bob, Upton is absolutely my favorite for online tea.

For Chinese tea in particular, though, including Pu Erh, I've also had very good experience with Ten Ren Tea ... definitely worth checking out.

Upton Tea:
http://www.uptontea.com

Ten Ren Tea:
http://www.tenren.com/
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:41 am

Thanks, Frank and Robin. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:51 am

A sad note on tea today as Murchies, a business in Vancouver for more than a century, announced receivership.

I'm not sure I am up for buying any of their more expensive teas in support (up to $280 a pound) but you might want to look at this and tell me if there is anything I should really tryu (while I can)

http://www.murchies.com/wwww/coffee.php?mCat=2&sCat=0&lst=long
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:30 pm

Bill, I suspect you know a bit about tea but I can't take that completely for granted. Simplest take, there are black, oolong, and green teas, oolong lying in between. Looking at what I might buy - not a big fan of green tea, certainly Dragons Well is one of the best Chinese greens and Gyokuro is one of the best Japanese. But I wouldn't buy those.

Similarly Ti Kuan Yin (Iron Goddess of Mercy) is an oolong but in my experience it lies on the "green" edge of oolong and I am not a fan.

If I had a gift certificate or something I might try the hairy crab, the orchid, the imperial gold, and the Formosa oolong. But that's mainly out of curiosity. They are probably all pretty good.

The Darjeeling silver tip and silver needle almost sound like they are in the direction of white tea, and I like that too. It is probably hard to go too far wrong with that selection. Sorry they are giving it up!

Frank