Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Paola's Tuscan Lasagna Recipe

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Paola's Tuscan Lasagna Recipe

by Paulo in Philly » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:47 am

PAOLA’S LASAGNA

Fresh egg pasta dough ingredients:
400 grams flour
4 eggs
500 grams of meat sauce (see the recipe below)

White sauce ingredients:
1/2 liter of milk
Butter
50 grams flour
Grated Parmesan

Prepare the fresh egg pasta dough (see the recipe below) and leave to stand. Roll and shape the dough into sheets of approx. 20 cm long. Prepare the white sauce in a pan (see the recipe below). In another pan, boil the water for the pasta; when it starts to boil, add salt and add the pasta sheets one by one, allowing them to cook for just a few minutes so that they remain 'al dente'. Strain the pasta sheets one by one, and place them on a damp dishtowel to cool. Grease a high-sided ovenproof dish. Cover the bottom of the dish with a layer of lasagna; follow with a layer of the meat sauce and then a layer of the white sauce. Continue until all the pasta sheets are finished. On the last layer of white sauce, add a few spoonfuls of the meat sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan. Cook in the oven for approx. 20 minutes at a medium
temperature.

Tuscan meat sauce ingredients:
200 grams ground beef
50 grams minced sausage
1/2 onion
1 small carrot
1/2 stick of celery
2 spoonfuls of concentrated tomato
1/2 glass of red wine
Meat stock
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt, Pepper

Mince the onion, carrot and celery, cook until soft. Add the minced beef and sausage, keep stirring until the meat is browned. Add the wine and allow it to evaporate. Mix the concentrated tomato, salt and pepper with a small quantity of warm meat stock and then add to the meat. Lower the heat, cover and cook for approx. 2 hours. From time to time, add a little of the meat stock.

Pasta dough ingredients:
400 grams flour
4 eggs
2 spoonfuls of water
1 spoonful of extra-virgin olive oil

Heap the flour onto a board. Make a well in the center and crack the eggs into it. Slowly mix together, each time adding a little of the flour. Mix in the water and the oil. Now knead the mixture for at least 15 minutes, so that you end up with smooth, elastic dough. Leave to stand on the board for a few minutes, pass it through a pasta machine until you end up with a thin sheet of pasta.

White sauce ingredients (4 people):
1 teaspoonful of butter (10gr)
2 spoonfuls of flour (30gr)
Salt, Pepper and Nutmeg
1 spoonful of Grated Parmesan

Put the milk (I use skimmed), cold or room temperature, into a small pan with a pinch of salt, the butter and the flour (use 2 heaped spoonfuls if you want the white sauce to be dense or 2 level spoonfuls if you prefer the sauce to be more of a liquid, like cream). Stir the ingredients together, taking care to dissolve any lumps in the flour. Now that you have smooth liquid, put the pan on the heat. Keep stirring the sauce until it begins to simmer. At this point, add a pinch of freshly ground pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Keep stirring for another minute, the white sauce is ready. If the sauce is too thin, let it stand for approximately half an hour and then add a spoonful of Parmesan.

You can also see this recipe plus photos on my WineLoversPage blog:

http://wineloverspage.ning.com/profiles ... Post%3A766
Last edited by Paulo in Philly on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Paola's Tuscan Lasagna Recipe

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:04 am

Paulo, as much as we love the new blog pages, I wonder if you might consider copying and pasting the actual words of recipe into this thread, too. The problem is, anything that is posted on the WineLovers blog ONLY will not turn up in the forum search engine when people are looking for recipes.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:13 am

Ah! OK, Robin! That makes sense! I'll add the text here! Thanks for the tip! 8)
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:19 am

Robin - if it's OK with you, I left the link so that folks can go over there and check out what a cool new addition to the WLDG we have! 8)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:27 am

Paulo in Philly wrote:Robin - if it's OK with you, I left the link so that folks can go over there and check out what a cool new addition to the WLDG we have! 8)

Oh, yah, for sure, Paulo! I'm sorry I didn't make that more clear. Your article on your WineLovers blog page is GREAT! With the pictures of Paola and the back story and all. Absolutely, definitely, keep it there. I just thought it would be nice to put the simple text here in The Kitchen as well, for the convenience of people who come looking for recipes.

Thanks for being so cooperative. :)
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:56 am

Paulo !! This was fantastic ! We made it tonight, although I must confess to using bought lasagne sheets. They were very very good fresh lasagne sheets, handmade at an award winning fresh pasta store in Sydney, and much better than the one we can manage to make at home. I increased the meat sauce recipe slightly for my carnivorous children, and made the white sauce with a mix of skim and fresh milk. It was very tasty, the slightly saltier meat sauce was nicely balanced by the cheese-free sweet white sauce.

Thanks, Paulo, and Paola too ! :)

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:41 am

Oh, how wonderful, Celia! I am so glad you took a picture!!!! I also love it that you adapted the recipe to your kid's carnivorous tastes! Hope you were able to enjoy it with a nice glass of wine! 8)