Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ramsay's Hells Kitchen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Ramsay's Hells Kitchen

by Sue Courtney » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:30 am

Is this the worst television 'food' program ever made?
Why do those aspiring chefs put themselves Ramsay's endless tirades?
Who would want to work for him?.
Is Gordon Ramsay the Simon Cowell of food reality TV?
We are in the US season two in NZ ( filmed 2006). I've watched one episode (was it episode 3 or 4, not sure - kids for lunch). I will not watch again.
Unfortunately it is on free to air here.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Ramsay's Hells Kitchen

by Robert J. » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:05 am

Sue Courtney wrote:Is this the worst television 'food' program ever made?
Why do those aspiring chefs put themselves Ramsay's endless tirades?
Who would want to work for him?.
Is Gordon Ramsay the Simon Cowell of food reality TV?
We are in the US season two in NZ ( filmed 2006). I've watched one episode (was it episode 3 or 4, not sure - kids for lunch). I will not watch again.
Unfortunately it is on free to air here.

1. Quite possibly.
2. Entertainment value.
3. Ditto.
4. No. Even though Simon Cowell can be a jerk, I believe that he has a good eye (and ear) for a good entertainer (note that I am not using the word 'musician'). Hell's Kitchen is not about cooking, it is about pretending to run a restaurant.

rwj
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:36 am

Different strokes.
I enjoyed the show. And I enjoy this year's Kitchen Nightmares.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:54 pm

I'm with Larry. I get a laugh out of HK and Nightmares. None of those "chefs" would make it on Top Chef but I like the entertainment factor.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Robert J. wrote:Hell's Kitchen is not about cooking, it is about pretending to run a restaurant.

Must have missed that bit. Yes they were in a restuarant, but Ramsay was on and on and on about the food. Risotto too stiff, risotto too runny, food too raw, food over cooked, food too cold, ya-de-ya-de-ya.

I guess we get fewer bleeps than you guys get. I couldn't believe some of the things that came out of Ramsay's mouth.

And why do so many people smoke on US television?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:40 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Robert J. wrote:Hell's Kitchen is not about cooking, it is about pretending to run a restaurant.

Must have missed that bit. Yes they were in a restuarant, but Ramsay was on and on and on about the food. Risotto too stiff, risotto too runny, food too raw, food over cooked, food too cold, ya-de-ya-de-ya.

Right, and did they tell you how to fix the stiff or runny risotto?

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:16 pm

Sue, I am easily entranced by food and not particularly offended by swearing, so this show should have been a slam dunk for me, but I am mortally offended by bullies and abusive behavior and I can't find this show entertaining in the slightest. Watched like two or three episodes of the first season and have avoided it since.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:01 pm

Jenise wrote:Sue, I am easily entranced by food and not particularly offended by swearing, so this show should have been a slam dunk for me, but I am mortally offended by bullies and abusive behavior and I can't find this show entertaining in the slightest. Watched like two or three episodes of the first season and have avoided it since.

Yes, it's definitely something to do with his bullying attitude that I don't like. Not watching again, that's for sure.
I've only see one Gordon Ramsay show that is a real 'cooking' show. Can't remember the name, but it was quite good - and no swearing or bullying. Probably because it was just him, the food and the camera.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:07 pm

Right, and did they tell you how to fix the stiff or runny risotto?

Fire the chef that can't get risotto right. Why treat the symptoms when you can fix the root cause?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:20 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Jenise wrote:Sue, I am easily entranced by food and not particularly offended by swearing, so this show should have been a slam dunk for me, but I am mortally offended by bullies and abusive behavior and I can't find this show entertaining in the slightest. Watched like two or three episodes of the first season and have avoided it since.

Yes, it's definitely something to do with his bullying attitude that I don't like. Not watching again, that's for sure.
I've only see one Gordon Ramsay show that is a real 'cooking' show. Can't remember the name, but it was quite good - and no swearing or bullying. Probably because it was just him, the food and the camera.

Right, and it was about the food. Hell's Kitchen is there for the pure entertainment value, much like Cops or other such shows.

rwj

rwj
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:59 pm

I like both Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares. Its entertaining...plus no one forces these people onto the show. All of them volunteer..knowing full well what they are in for.

Richard