Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Reason # one to label jars

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Reason # one to label jars

by Thomas » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:01 pm

In my freezer I have, among other things, frozen yellow tomato puree from my garden tomatoes.

Today, I reached for a jar of the yellow tomato puree to make a sauce for my penne with anchovies.

Well, I also have frozen pureed pumpkin from my garden in the freezer.

Yep, that's what I did--picked the wrong jar, didn't find out until it was defrosted and ready to go.

My wife told me I would.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Reason # one to label jars

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:09 pm

Thomas, try not labelling and be colorblind at the same time like me and see where it gets you!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:29 pm

Pumpkin and anchovies... Eeeewwwwwww... a strike-out all the way around, as I like neither. :shock:
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:40 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:Pumpkin and anchovies... Eeeewwwwwww... a strike-out all the way around, as I like neither. :shock:

I like each, but certainly not together!

What's wrong with them, Robert?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:46 pm

Thomas wrote:
Robert Reynolds wrote:Pumpkin and anchovies... Eeeewwwwwww... a strike-out all the way around, as I like neither. :shock:

Why not, Thomas? Think savory pumpkin soup seasoned with some smokey cumin and maybe a touch of paprika. A few anchovies melted into the mix wouldn't be half bad ... but what do I know ... I'm colorblind.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:06 pm

Thomas wrote:

I have never liked the taste of pumpkin, and the very smell of anchovies makes me want to bring back up what I most recently ate!
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:17 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I have never liked the taste of pumpkin, and the very smell of anchovies makes me want to bring back up what I most recently ate!

Anchovies are insidious as they sneak into many recipes without our even knowing about it. The most prominent example is Worchestershire sauce which itself is an ingredient in many recipes. I'm sure it's a conspiracy.

Seeing little anchovies on pizza or spying one elsewhere also does not appeal to me, but as an ingredient they seem to disappear and add a salty backbone. Perhaps I'm schizoid, but I will cook with them, although I won't usually eat them if I can recognize them.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:10 am

Thomas - I did the same thing a few weeks ago, only I had freezer bags: one was leftover greens (Swiss chard, Romaine, Escarole) that I set aside for a batch of Beans & Greens soup; the other was asparagus. So I made a pot of Beans & Asparagus soup. It wasn't bad, but hard to eat with a spoon. :?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:13 am

Howie Hart wrote:Thomas - I did the same thing a few weeks ago, only I had freezer bags: one was leftover greens (Swiss chard, Romaine, Escarole) that I set aside for a batch of Beans & Greens soup; the other was asparagus. So I made a pot of Beans & Asparagus soup. It wasn't bad, but hard to eat with a spoon. :?

Howie,

You should have tried to eat it with a spork!!!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:23 am

LOL
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

taste everything first....

by John Tomasso » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:14 am

I try to take a finger full of an ingredient before I add it to the pot. Checking for spoilage, as well as the kind of mistake you made.

How about cilantro and flat leaf parsley? I made that mistake once, now I always chew a leaf before using. Even though I can differentiate with a sniff, it's just easier to pop a leaf in my mouth, just to be sure.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Re: taste everything first....

by Thomas » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:05 am

John Tomasso wrote:I try to take a finger full of an ingredient before I add it to the pot. Checking for spoilage, as well as the kind of mistake you made.

How about cilantro and flat leaf parsley? I made that mistake once, now I always chew a leaf before using. Even though I can differentiate with a sniff, it's just easier to pop a leaf in my mouth, just to be sure.

John,

In this case, I left the frozen jar in a stainless steel pan on the kitchen counter to defrost while I wrote at the computer (stainless assimilates room temperature easily and therefore is a faster medium for defrosting naturally). By the time I needed to use what I thought was a jar of pureed yellow tomato, I had wasted too much time to recoup my losses.

I ate something else. Luckily, the standard poodle loves pumpkin, so he had a snack.
Thomas P