Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Giada de Laurentiis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: Giada de Laurentiis

by TimMc » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:25 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
TimMc wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
TimMc wrote:You want a bunch of us dumb guys to watch a cooking show?

Then you need to keep our interest.

NASCAR is on in the next room! The next time you want a beer, hollar -- and leave the kitchen to us gals.

I see. So there's astringent adherence to cooking sans female attributes OR there's dumbs**t NASCAR? Thanks for proving my point.
Men = dumb
Women + Smart = Cooking
Not exactly. I truly appreciate a man who knows his way around the kitchen -- one who knows what a kitchen is for. I just think there are better places to display T&A (pardon my French). BTW, I happen to think Giada is drop-dead gorgeous, and an okay cook (let's face it, she doesn't do anything too complicated). It's just that Everyday Italian happens not to be a food show, and I don't think the FoodNetwork or the rest of us should pretend that's what it is. But, enough about her. You are too smart a guy to not understand what is being said here. I'm over this conversation. See ya!

JoAnn,

You're missing my point.

As I said, I watch Giada's show because her recipes are easy to do and do not call for tons of obscure and expensive ingredients.

Uncomplicated is the beauty of her cooking...anybody can do it.

The fact she is very pretty only accentuates the reason for us dumb guys to watch in the first place.

NASCAR be damned.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:17 am

Jo Ann, two brief comments.

Everyday Italian happens not to be a food show,

Nothing on Food Network is these days.

I just think there are better places to display T&A

Mmmm, maybe I'll skip the comment I had in mind. Just out of respect, of course. :oops:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:23 am

Stuart, are you ill?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:05 pm

No, but your new avatar is giving me vertigo.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:07 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:

Alton Brown's <i>Good Eats</i> survives, although I can't imagine what kind of dirt he must have on management to stay in there.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:58 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:

Alton Brown's <i>Good Eats</i> survives, although I can't imagine what kind of dirt he must have on management to stay in there.

IMHO, it's funny, it's hip, it keeps my interest and just does something different from the typical cooking show.

Not for everybody's viewing tastes, I suppose.

Rachal Ray, OTOH, must really have some serious dirt on the Food Network producers. Yike!
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:45 pm

Nice rack! :D
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:50 pm

MikeH wrote:Nice rack! :D

Mike, I was thinking the same thing. I never heard of her before. She is attractive enough. I don't get the whole cooking show thing anyway. If she cooked in a bikini I wouldn't watch, but I might like the pictures posted here.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:06 pm

I guess in the big picture I don't quite understand the use of sex to sell these shows. (Not that I don't enjoy it! :twisted:) And my confusion stems from my perception of the demographics of the audience. I mean using sex to sell Nascar makes sense because the audience targeted by the sex-sell has a proclivity to watch Nascar anyway....and an attractive, top-heavy female will reel in all the fence-sitters. So what I don't understand is how many extra viewers tune in Giada because she wears low-cut tops? And whatever extra viewers are brought in.....don't they tune out the second the show cuts to commercial?
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Alton Brown's <i>Good Eats</i> survives, although I can't imagine what kind of dirt he must have on management to stay in there.
I think Alton's <i>Good Eats</i> is the best thing on TFN. Simple (focuses on one ingredient or technique - just right for a 30 minute show), and entertaining, with the oddball characters. It's like the Pee Wee's Playhouse of food.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:31 pm

Yerrrrr alll wrong! GIADA is a transvestite!!!! :shock:

Seriously..... who doesn't have a "shtick" on these food shows? The girl is Italian - Italians have very perky personalities and are sensual people. Embrace it - isn't food a sensual experience? It is for me! Even Lidia Bastianich has her "shtick", and talk about melons, hanging down to her knees, melons nevertheless! :lol:
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:47 pm

MikeH wrote:I guess in the big picture I don't quite understand the use of sex to sell these shows. (Not that I don't enjoy it! :twisted:) And my confusion stems from my perception of the demographics of the audience. I mean using sex to sell Nascar makes sense because the audience targeted by the sex-sell has a proclivity to watch Nascar anyway....and an attractive, top-heavy female will reel in all the fence-sitters. So what I don't understand is how many extra viewers tune in Giada because she wears low-cut tops? And whatever extra viewers are brought in.....don't they tune out the second the show cuts to commercial?

I get your point.

But NASCAR is for idiot motor-heads who would like nothing else but to blow off an entire Saturday watching a bunch of cars run 500 times around an oval track.

That is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Visual sex appeal is just a bi-product of what commercial TV thinks sells airtime. I, being just a simple-minded male, am attracted to female sexiness. Giadia combines her sexual appeal with cooking and it works. Why that is a problem just plain escapes me. She isn't posing for Playboy and she keeps the T and A to a minimum.

And don't get me wrong, OK? I am a Drag Racing fan from the get go. Born and raised in Pomona, CA, Home of the WinterNationals: Drag Racing's Mecha. The NHRA just rocks!

My concern went JoAnn's suggestion we men need to slovenly shout out for a lousy Budweiser in the next room while the women chef the dinner.

That, if I may be so bold, is total bull.

Make sense?
Last edited by TimMc on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:48 pm

Pardon me for caring.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:33 pm

Howie Hart wrote: It's like the Pee Wee's Playhouse of food.

Good analogy Howie. It's EXACTLY like the Pee Wee's Playhouse of food! I don't get the impression we'd find Alton alone in the back of a theatre, ahem, watching a dirty movie though. (Thank goodness.)

Incidentally, Good Eats is my 82 year old dad's favorite show on TV. So cute.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:11 pm

Maybe it's me, maybe they've run out of good ideas, maybe the show has jumped the shark, I dunno. But it always seemed to me to be "Taste" Lite, and in recent years, it's become "Good Eats" Lite.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:24 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:

I guess, besides the food science, he stays because he is quite entertaining to a lot of people ... kind of a food sitcom ... which I can enjoy. Although I have seen him out of the corner of my eye with his off-stage personality. My impression is he's a pretty tough cookie, all business and quite a bit more sober than his on-stage persona. (Just listen to some of his comments on "The Next Iron Chef.") He just may have negotiated a pretty good contract.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:12 pm

Here's something that that oughta make you all chuckle....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6DxffYN ... re=related
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:22 pm

Paulo in Philly wrote:Here's something that that oughta make you all chuckle....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6DxffYN ... re=related

That made my afternoon, Paulo!
And now what?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:23 pm

Gary, when are you going to post some good pictures of this woman?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:33 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Gary, when are you going to post some good pictures of this woman?

I didn't start this thread, but TimMc posted a pic back on the first page if you wish to indulge your voyeuristic tendencies.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:04 pm

MikeH wrote:Nice rack! :D

Thank you! :wink:
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:49 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Gary, when are you going to post some good pictures of this woman?

I didn't start this thread, but TimMc posted a pic back on the first page if you wish to indulge your voyeuristic tendencies.

Now, now.

My motivation was purely research based. I mean, how can we pass judgement on something we don't see?

:wink:
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:19 am

So, what do people think of Nigella Lawson? Also filmed in a provocative way.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:58 pm

I find her boring....something about her show.....can't put my finger on it. Will have to watch her again and see what it is like now. Didn't she take some time off?
PreviousNext