Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Has anyone made Rasgulla?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Has anyone made Rasgulla?

by Howard » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:25 pm

It's an Indian dessert made with paneer/flour/sugar syrup and rose water/cardomom/or other spiced water. My question is this, does it have to be cooked in a pressure cooker? I've seen it described both ways.
Here's a link:
http://indianfood.about.com/od/sweetsan ... sgulla.htm

Been eating a lot of Pakistani and Indian food lately.
Last edited by Howard on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howard
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Has anyone made Rasgulla?

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:45 pm

I've never used one and my rasgulla taste pretty fine to me. You know you have them right when you get a little "squeak!" when you bite into them.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:56 pm

Hi Stuart. I thought you might have some information. I still make that matar paneer recipe you posted a while ago. My kids love it.
Howard
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:50 pm

I was thinking of working out an Italian version of it, but summer ended too fast, tomatoes are gone. Maybe next year. But that basic concept of how to make the cheese is transportable to rasgulla (rasmali), you just need to knead it longer to get the texture right. I think it will work out fine for you just from boiling.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.