Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Those gaseous little cousins of the cabbage...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Those gaseous little cousins of the cabbage...

by Christina Georgina » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:37 pm

brussel sprouts. Those of us who love them are anxiously waiting for Bonnie's post. I mostly steam and butter with a shake of Penzey's Fox Point seasoning if I'm lazy. It is a very versatile veg but awful smell, texture, taste if overcooked, not to mention the post prandial problem some can have.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Those gaseous little cousins of the cabbage...

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:48 pm

We tend to stir fry, then braise them in a little stock and balsamico to form a glaze. Especially when they're freshly hacked off the branch, they are the most wonderful cruciferous veggie.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:23 pm

They are great cut in half, tossed with some EVOO, salt and pepper and roasted cut side down in the oven. Roast until the cut side browns a little and they turn bright green. Add a splash of lemon juice and serve.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:19 pm

Tim,
I'm with you on this. We'll not be singing Brussel Sprout kumbaya at Casa Redwinger anytime soon.

Wm.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:24 pm

Not to be pedantic, but I believe their correct name has an s after Brussel.

I grow them and love them. Like Stuart, I prepare them in a wok--great chopped and as an ingredient for fried rice.

My other favorite way is to quarter them and saute in oo with garlic and a dash of hot pepper until their edges are slightly browned.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:26 am

I love brussel sprouts and do like them simply boiled in salted water, I do like to separate each leaf, then sauté them in a little butter with garlic and bacon. Sometimes I par-cook them in the microwave first, but best to let cool a little before separating each leaf, otherwise burnt fingertips will result. It's important not to overcook them. They are best when just cooked and still have some vivid green to the colour.

Has anyone ever roasted brussel sprouts?
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:28 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:They are great cut in half, tossed with some EVOO, salt and pepper and roasted cut side down in the oven. Roast until the cut side browns a little and they turn bright green. Add a splash of lemon juice and serve.

Oops - missed this first time round. Sounds delish.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:39 am

I generally keep them simple, either steamed or roasted; they are a regular vegetable here whenever they look beautiful at our market.

But once in awhile, I like this hashed version, which has had quite a bit of play on the food blogs over the past three years. The poppy seeds add an interesting dimension to the dish, and I often heat an additional tablespoon to serve at the table.

The Union Square Cafe Cookbook

Hashed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon Zest
Makes 10 servings

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus grated zest of 1 lemon
2 pounds brussels sprouts
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons black mustard seeds or poppy seeds
¼ cup dry white wine or vermouth
Salt and pepper to taste.

1. Place lemon juice in a large bowl. Cut bottoms off sprouts, and discard. Halve sprouts lengthwise, and thinly slice them crosswise. The slices toward the stem end should be thinner, to help pieces cook evenly. As you work, transfer slices into bowl with lemon juice. When all sprouts are sliced toss them in juice and separate leaves. (Recipe can be prepared to this point and refrigerated, covered, for up to 3 hours.)

2. When ready to serve, heat oil and butter over high heat in a skillet large enough to hold all sprouts. When very hot add sprouts, garlic and seeds, and cook, stirring often, until sprouts are wilted and lightly cooked, but still bright green and crisp, about 4 minutes. Some leaves might brown slightly.

3. Add wine, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Turn off heat, add salt and pepper to taste and stir in the lemon zest, reserving a little for top of dish. Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with remaining zest and serve.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:47 am

Yes, lemon. I forgot the lemon in my saute version.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:05 am

I'm not crazy about them boiled whole, and like everyone, can barely stand them overcooked.

A couple of additional thoughts, though: The old trick of cutting an X deep into the stem end to hasten the inside cooking before the outside gets stinky seems to help a little, although this may be magical thinking. Cutting them in half or quartering also helps.

One prep that makes them delicious mostly by covering up their natural flavor ;) - halve, steam just until done, then toss with browned butter and lots of chopped pecans. Great flavor and texture combination!

Another trick that really "hides" the sprout: Slice them crosswise into rounds; toss the rounds and they fall into a nice slaw. Then use the slaw as you would similarly treated cabbage. Don't overcook.
no avatar
User

MichaelJ

Rank

Wine geek

Fri May 05, 2006 3:54 pm

Minneapolis, MN

by MichaelJ » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:44 am

I like to thinly slice them (like you are making miniature coleslaw) and cook in a pan with some rendered pancetta. Finish with some white wine. The only way I'll eat them. :lol:
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:15 pm

MichaelJ wrote:I like to thinly slice them (like you are making miniature coleslaw) and cook in a pan with some rendered pancetta. Finish with some white wine. The only way I'll eat them. :lol:

That sounds like I'd go for it. Will try. I have a truckload of 'em in the garden.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:24 pm

I just love BrusselS Sprouts. I like to blanch them, cut them in half, and finish cooking them in balsamic so that they get nicely caramelized.

rwj
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:59 pm

I've mentioned John Ash's balsamic reduction (which can be reduced to a glaze) in the past, and it really shines with Brussels Sprouts. The sweetness contrasts nicely with the slight bitterness of excellent Brussels Sprouts.

The basic recipe for Ash's balsamic reduction:

1/2 cup very good commercial balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup crisp, light bodied white wine
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
Pepper to taste

Simmer for an hour or longer until it's the consistency of Grade C maple syrup. It works well in this form as accompanying steamed vegetables adding less than 20 calories a serving and no fat.

Even better is to continue simmering until it becomes as thick as light honey, or even further to make a balsamic glaze. As Ash writes in his book:

“This one is going to knock your socks off. Once you make the glaze -- it can be made weeks ahead and it is fool proof -- you can eat it on everything: salmon, grilled portabellas, tofu, pork tenderloin -- you can't miss."
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:44 pm

Thomas wrote:Not to be pedantic, but I believe their correct name has an s after Brussel.

You are right, but it is easier to say without emphasising that final s . :wink:
The last s of brussels and the first s of sprouts tend to end up as one when you say it quickly.
Last edited by Sue Courtney on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:47 pm

As a child, I used to think that Brussels sprouts concentrated all of the obnoxious qualities of an entire head of cabbage, into something still large enough that you had to bite into it at least once before swallowing it.

Then as an adult I tried one that hadn't been overcooked. Prepared properly they can be delicious. Overcooked, they are ghastly. :shock:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:55 pm

Yes, Karen! I'm so happy to hear that someone else does this. I even tend to let them roast until the edges get crisp. Stick a toothpick in them and you have an instant appetizer. And the toaster over works fine! Even folks who have told me they do not like Brussel sprouts love this way to prepare them. And they apparently have anti-cancer qualities.
I'm doing Brussel sprouts in this way this weekend and at a party next week.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:53 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:It is a very versatile veg ...

Yes, savory -- it concentrates the vegetal flavor and aroma of a cabbage.

A handy old-world method (you see this with vegetables in restaurants around the world if the cooks learned in Europe) is to first cook them a little underdone (boil or steam the sprouts), then finish with brief sauté in a frying pan in which you have fried some bits of bacon, pancetta, or etc. and rendered the fat; optionally you can also lightly brown some chopped garlic in the pan while rendering, then add the sprouts. Serve with the bits of bacon and garlic clinging to them. (Typically you prep the sprouts before cooking, by paring off any discolored leaves and the tough end of the stem.)

Fresh vegs in restaurants are very often finished with a brief stir-fry in some kind of fat. Using something more flavorful like pancetta and garlic goes especially well with these sprouts.

Christina Georgina wrote:not to mention the post prandial problem some can have.

Thanks for mentioning this, I hope everyone here has heard of Beano (tm)? It's an over-the-counter enzyme pill sold in US and very effective specifically with beans and crucifers (cabbage, broccoli, etc.). The basic problem with these vegs is that they contain particular complex sugars for which many people don't produce digestive enzymes, and consequently the sugars more or less ferment, fairly late in the digestive process, producing gas where it's not wanted. Beano (tm) supplies the missing enzymes. (Despite this, humans are as near omnivores as any animal -- their digestive range is astounding and it adapts to seasonal diet changes.)

Advertising phrase: "Beano before -- Quiet after."
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:04 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:As a child, I used to think that Brussels sprouts concentrated all of the obnoxious qualities of an entire head of cabbage, into something still large enough that you had to bite into it at least once before swallowing it.

I wonder how many of us didn't make it because they tried to swallow one of these things whole and choked....

I agree that they are horrid overcooked, but even cooked properly they don't ring my chimes. Anything you add to them to give them a flavour other than their inherent flavor will improve them, but they come close to the other vegetable no one needs, zucchini.

Name me one recipe that uses zucchini that wouldn't taste just as good, if not better, without the zucchini. At best, something neutral to bulk up more interesting food!

BTW, do you know what you call the progeny of a lady of the evening?

Yup - brothel sprouts!
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:06 pm

Brussel sprouts ... the perfect vegetable. We refer to them lovingly as little green brains in our household. Simply steamed and then lightly sautéed in a touch of butter with a wee bit of onion, seasoned with salt, pepper and fresh nutmeg ... heaven.

Living next to a field of Brussel sprouts .... oy, not so perfect, especially after the harvest when the stalks start to rot.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:44 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Paul Winalski wrote:As a child, I used to think that Brussels sprouts concentrated all of the obnoxious qualities of an entire head of cabbage, into something still large enough that you had to bite into it at least once before swallowing it.

I wonder how many of us didn't make it because they tried to swallow one of these things whole and choked....

I agree that they are horrid overcooked, but even cooked properly they don't ring my chimes. Anything you add to them to give them a flavour other than their inherent flavor will improve them, but they come close to the other vegetable no one needs, zucchini.

Name me one recipe that uses zucchini that wouldn't taste just as good, if not better, without the zucchini. At best, something neutral to bulk up more interesting food!

BTW, do you know what you call the progeny of a lady of the evening?

Yup - brothel sprouts!

Odd, Bill. I disagree on the sprouts, but firmly agree on the zucchini. I get no pleasure out of that monstrosity. My wife is always coming up with ways she says will make me eat it, but she fails every time. I'm the same way with celery, which reminds me greatly of petroleum.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:54 pm

Two favorites: hashed (chiffonade cut, lightly wok cooked with chicken broth and ginger and then tossed with fresh-cooked spinach fettucine), and halved, rinsed (wetness to fuel steaming) and mixed with butter and crushed cardamom, then cooked in the microwave (covered).
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:01 pm

"Yup - brothel sprouts!"

Good one, Bill. 8)

But to be pedantic, shouldn't it be "Brothel's sprouts." :)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:25 pm

Brush them w/ bacon fat if you’ve it (EVOO if you don’t) , salt, pepper…then skewer them and throw them on a smoky grill till they just start to brown

Richard
Next