Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP /Foodletter: Spaghetti and meatballs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP /Foodletter: Spaghetti and meatballs

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:30 pm

Spaghetti and meatballs

Spaghetti and meatballs ... could there be a more Italian treat? Well, maybe. Actually, in frequent travels to Italy, I don't think I've ever been served a bowl of steaming long pasta topped with tangy tomato sauce and beefy meatballs and a sprinkle of Parmigiana, the way we know and love it in the U.S.

But it's surely Italian-<I>American</i> comfort food, and I expect it's comfort food much of the world around.

Chances are that the recipe has drifted a bit from its Italian roots in Sicily and Calabria in Southern Italy, from where so many immigrants came to the U.S. (and Argentina) during Ellis Island days. But barring such innovations as "Parmeejun" cheese from the green can - and most likely, if you're reading these pages, that's not your style - the basic dish still speaks of sunny Italy for most of us, and warms both our tummies and our hearts.

Many recipes call for spicy meatballs, and most require dark, sweet, long-simmered tomato sauce. I'm fine with that. Today's version, though, goes off in a completely different direction. It features simple, pure, unadorned flavors: quality beef and fresh tomatoes, sweet browned onions and garlic and al dente spaghetti, with grated cheese added optionally at the table. Of course you can start with these fundamentals and doctor it up almost ad infinitum with herbs, spices and other good things; but sometimes simplest is best.

INGREDIENTS: (Serves two)

Thick slice of sweet onion, enough to make 1/4 cup chopped
1-2 cloves garlic
Dried red pepper flakes
3/4 pound (360g) lean ground beef, the best quality available
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
1 cup (240ml) tomato sauce (see note)
4-6 ounces (120-180 g) spaghetti
Salt
Black pepper
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese

PROCEDURE:

1. Chop the onion fine; peel and mince the garlic. Season with a discreet shake of dried red-pepper flakes.

2. Form the ground beef into small meatballs about 1 inch in diameter; 3/4 pound of beef should be enough to make about 15 to 20 meatballs.

3. Put the olive oil in a skillet or saute pan large enough to hold all the meatballs in a single layer. Turn heat to medium-high and cook the chopped onions and garlic and dried red-pepper flakes until the onions are aromatic and starting to brown around the edges.

4. Put in the meatballs and saute, shaking the pan frequently and turning the meatballs occasionally, until they're just browned. Reduce heat to medium and pour in the tomato sauce. When it starts to bubble, turn down heat to very low and leave to simmer for 10 minutes or so while the pasta cooks.

5. Cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan with plenty of salted water until it's al dente. When the spaghetti is almost done and foam is floating on top of the pasta water, stir a couple of wooden spoons full of the foamy water into the tomato sauce; if you haven't tried this old Italian home-cooking trick, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the way it thickens and flavors the sauce. Check for seasoning and add a little salt and pepper only if needed.

6. Drain the pasta well and stir it into the simmering sauce with meatballs, and serve immediately in large, warmed bowls. Pass grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese for use at the table if you wish; crusty Italian bread and a green salad make a fine accompaniment.

ABOUT THE TOMATO SAUCE: I used a thawed cup of the frozen fresh garden tomato sauce that I discussed in the Aug. 2, 2007 <i>FoodLetter</i>, Fresh tomato sauce; if you made some of your own, you should do the same. Alternatively, fashion a quick tomato sauce by heating canned San Marzano tomatoes and their juice (or your choice of quality canned tomatoes) with a little onion and garlic browned in olive oil, then blend the result into a puree. If you're in a hurry, a decent brand of canned or tetra-pack commercial tomato sauce will work in a pinch.

WINE MATCH: A hearty, fruity and acidic Italian red - a Chianti or cousin - would be perfect, but a French alternative - the Château Beauchêne 2005 Côtes-du-Rhône Villages featured in the Nov. 5 Wine Advisor - fit a similar flavor profile and worked just fine.

<center>Subscribe to The 30 Second Wine Advisor's weekly FoodLetter</center>
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: RCP /Foodletter: Spaghetti and meatballs

by Robert J. » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:03 pm

Robin, that sounds good. The sauce is nice an simple which I think is a must for meatballs. But I have experimented with meatballs over the years and I settled on trick from Cook's Illustrated: I soak some torn pieces of white bread in buttermilk until it makes a paste. I then incorporate this paste into the meat mixture. This keeps the meatballs from turning into little meat rocks, keeping them very moist and tender.

Also, I sautee the meatballs first and then make the sauce in the pan so I can get all of those little bits of fond in the sauce. The meatballs also get nice and browned.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:20 pm

Robert J. wrote:Robin, that sounds good. The sauce is nice an simple which I think is a must for meatballs. But I have experimented with meatballs over the years and I settled on trick from Cook's Illustrated: I soak some torn pieces of white bread in buttermilk until it makes a paste. I then incorporate this paste into the meat mixture. This keeps the meatballs from turning into little meat rocks, keeping them very moist and tender.

The breadcrumb trick is classic Italian polpette/polpettini, and it does indeed work. Again, I wanted to keep this dish pure and simple, and I can tell you that gentle browning followed by gentle simmering in the sauce yields meatballs with a very good texture, maybe al denter but not "rocks."

Also, I sautee the meatballs first and then make the sauce in the pan so I can get all of those little bits of fond in the sauce. The meatballs also get nice and browned.

I hope it was clear that this is exactly what I did here.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:48 pm

Nice and simple. This sounds like dinner tonight.

b
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:07 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

I hope it was clear that this is exactly what I did here.

I hope it is now clear that I am a complete dumb-ass. How I got a life as a chef/instructor is beyond me. Oh, the poor souls that learn to cook from me.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:08 pm

Robert J. wrote:I hope it is now clear that I am a complete dumb-ass. How I got a life as a chef/instructor is beyond me. Oh, the poor souls that learn to cook from me.

Nah, don't beat up on yourself. Just ask Jenise whether *I* ever speed-read past a key point in a post. :roll:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Nah, don't beat up on yourself. Just ask Jenise whether *I* ever speed-read past a key point in a post. :roll:

Not. Saying. A. Word.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:04 pm

Jenise wrote:Not. Saying. A. Word.

Hey! It's a Guy thing, all right? :oops:
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:23 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Robert J. wrote:I hope it is now clear that I am a complete dumb-ass. How I got a life as a chef/instructor is beyond me. Oh, the poor souls that learn to cook from me.

Nah, don't beat up on yourself. Just ask Jenise whether *I* ever speed-read past a key point in a post. :roll:

I wonder how long it will take her to respond to this one?

rwj
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:02 am

I wonder how long it will take her to respond to this one?

Apparently, not long. :roll:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:46 pm

That was a joke Stuart.

rwj
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:46 pm

I know the bread crumb method is more traditional, but try using crushed saltines sometime. It will considerably lighten up the texture of the meatballs.

Richard