Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Kabocha squash with five-spice powder

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

RCP: Kabocha squash with five-spice powder

by wnissen » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:49 am

I'm a little embarrassed to call this a recipe, but this was a last minute improvisation while trying to think of something to prepare with lemongrass tofu.

Kabocha Squash with Five-Spice Powder

1 medium kabocha (2-3 lbs. / 1-1.3 kg)
1 T Chinese five spice powder
1.5 T dark sesame oil

Preheat oven to 425F / 220C.

Slice off stem and and any other inedible parts, leaving kabocha unpeeled. With a cleaver or large knife, split in half. (I usually get the knife good and stuck by pushing down from above, then pick up the whole knife-squash unit and bang it up and down on the countertop until it slices through or the thing just breaks. Maybe I have aggression issues.) Scoop the goop and slice into 3/4" / 2cm thick pieces.

Lay pieces on an aluminum half-sheet pan, sprinkle half the five-spice powder and half the sesame oil. Flip, and sprinkle the rest.

Bake for about 25 minutes, flipping the squash slices halfway through. They should get golden-brown on the outside and a fork will pierce the flesh easily.

Serves 3-5.

The result was surprisingly buttery (I really didn't use that much oil) and the five-spice powder seemed to enhance the squashiness. For a stereotypical, thrown together dish, I was more than happy.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: RCP: Kabocha squash with five-spice powder

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:59 am

I'm a little embarrassed to call this a recipe

Don't be. Simple is perfect.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.