Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Acai Berry

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Acai Berry

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:33 pm

OK, so what do you folks know about the acai berry and its value in our nutrition?

I was down in one of the local produce places last weekend and there was this attractive young woman handing out shots of fruit juice. Of course, I took my free shot and she offered to drop by my place and drop off a sample bottle of this stuff. Of course, I said she could drop by. I'll accept free almost anything, especially from an attractive young woman.

Well, she dropped by today and dropped off her bottle of juice which is primarily made out of the acai berry and 18 other fruits. You can see the pitch here: Wonder Juice Website.

In any event, I don't usually fall for scams of this nature, but I figured I'd ask you guys if you've tried this acai berry and whether it had any beneficial effects for you. At $45.00 a bottle it would definitely give me stomach cramps.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Acai Berry

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:40 pm

Wait a minute, she stopped by to bring it to you? Did you take the hint?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:44 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Wait a minute, she stopped by to bring it to you? Did you take the hint?

She goes to the same gym as Zari. I kept her in the vestibule and left the front door open just to have witnesses. Not that I would consider, even for a moment, going astray.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:29 am

As I recall, it's high in antioxidants, but no way would I pay that price. Those types of juices are frequently sold in a multi-level marketing scheme, which keeps prices high.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:34 am

Larry Greenly wrote:As I recall, it's high in antioxidants, but no way would I pay that price. Those types of juices are frequently sold in a multi-level marketing scheme, which keeps prices high.

That is exactly it. There is a lot of info on the web about this açai juice and this company.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:44 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Wait a minute, she stopped by to bring it to you? Did you take the hint?

I don't think Acai berry juice was all she was "selling".
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:34 pm

Gary, the entire incident begs the question... why didn't she just give you a sample bottle at the time you tried the free sip? Hmm.

I guess the fact that you kept her in the vestibule with the door open indicates you aren't nearly as naive as some might believe! 8)
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:34 pm

Redwinger wrote:

I don't think Acai berry juice was all she was "selling".

Aw, you guys, you remind me of that German cannibal. You know. The one who advertised on the Internet for someone to eat? Just always seeing the wurst in people ...
And now what?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:42 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Gary, the entire incident begs the question... why didn't she just give you a sample bottle at the time you tried the free sip? Hmm.

I guess the fact that you kept her in the vestibule with the door open indicates you aren't nearly as naive as some might believe! 8)

I asked her about that, too. She said that she never sets up shop like that and that this one time was an exception. She happens to know the guy who runs the produce market and he made the suggestion. Her whole business is run by word-of-mouth and she usually delivers the stuff personally or at the gym or similar. I also imagine that, at those prices, you don't want to be giving cases of the stuff away to predominantly non-buyers in a supermarket environment.

Oh, and yes, I am that naïve and unsuspecting ... a real babe in the woods ... a fresh off the boat greenhorn. It's one of my more charming aspects. :roll:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:18 pm

I can't believe that you didn't put her in the sack.

rwj
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:34 pm

The possible other advantages of buying Acai from this lady aside…..as far as the Acai Berry business, its really just another nutraceutical with questionable anti-oxidant properties. Just one of a slew that hits the market every couple of months. I say questionable because there is usually a considerable lack of clinicals supporting the claims of new nutraceuticals.

Couple of others that have shown up recently…pomegranate, hoodia gordoni (for weight loss), grapefruit seed extract, natto… whatever. For this industry, its more important to have a “marketable story” than to have proof of efficacy.

The supplements industry is a hoot…

Richard
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:50 pm

Robert J. wrote:

I can't believe that you didn't put her in the sack.

rwj

I couldn't; it was already full of heads.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.