Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The truth about Green Bean Casserole

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The truth about Green Bean Casserole

by Jenise » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:58 pm

Did some digging to answer my question about who created this dish, and it's not surprising that it was a home economist in Campbell's Soup Company's own test kitchen.

Her name was (and is, she's still alive and living in New Jersey) Dorcas Reilly, and the year was 1955. Her goal was to use an ingredient that most people already had in their kitchens (back when canned green beans were a staple).

According to an article in AdAge, "In 2002, Mrs. Reilly appeared at the National Inventor's Hall of Fame to donate the original copy of the recipe to the museum. The now-yellowed 8 x 11 recipe card takes its place alongside Enrico Fermi's invention of the first controlled nuclear reactor and Thomas Alva Edison's two greatest hits: the light bulb and the phonograph."

The results of her effort hit the biggest home run in the history of Campbell's Soup. In 2005, an estimated 30 million households made the dish, and attributed to it's popularity are $20 million and $56 million of annual mushroom soup and French's canned fried onions respectively.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: The truth about Green Bean Casserole

by Redwinger » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Why, why, would anyone name their kid Dorcas?
Jenise, I share your opinion of green bean casserole...a dish only a Dorcas could have invented.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:22 pm

I love green bean casserole! Geez, you people are snobs! Of course you are wonderful snobs, but don't dis grean bean casserole! :D
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:28 pm

Redwinger wrote:Why, why, would anyone name their kid Dorcas?
Jenise, I share your opinion of green bean casserole...a dish only a Dorcas could have invented.
'Winger

Dorcas is actually a very old name, Bill - there was a Dorcas in the Bible who was a dressmaker, known for making clothing for the poor. In fact, my school used to have a charity program called Dorcas, which required all the students to make an article of clothing for donation (gotta love girls schools :)).

Apparently it's a name with greek origins meaning gazelle.

Having said all that, I agree with you. Why, why, would anyone name their kid Dorcas ? :D
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:41 pm

James, you're too harsh...I deliberately avoided dissing the dish as I know it's sacred territory for many. And as I said, it's tasty. But since you used the 's' word: to my mind, there is nothing the least bit snobbish about wanting to put the best possible food into your body. Why not make a version that's even tastier and better nourishment to boot based not on canned food, but better and healthier ingredients?

Like this:

http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2006/11/worlds-best-green-bean-casserole.html
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:05 pm

Jenise wrote:James, you're too harsh...I deliberately avoided dissing the dish as I know it's sacred territory for many. And as I said, it's tasty. But since you used the 's' word: to my mind, there is nothing the least bit snobbish about wanting to put the best possible food into your body. Why not make a version that's even tastier and better nourishment to boot based not on canned food, but better and healthier ingredients?

Like this:

http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2006/11/worlds-best-green-bean-casserole.html

Jenise,
I was reffering more to Bill than to you. Don't take what I said too seriously. That's why I put the little smiley face at the end. I am mostly a smart a## anyway. for the record I don't eat grean bean caserolle at Thanksgiving. For me it's an Easter dish.

I think we all need to chill out on the food thing though. Sometimes we just need to let these type ride.
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:15 pm

James, I wasn't taking you severely to task, but since there's nearly always a bit of truth in every jest, I had to make my stance clear. And--chill out on the food thing? Naah--eating well's too much fun! :)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:34 pm

Naah--eating well's too much fun!

Eating well, is a matter of taste! some like this, some like that, and some like neither!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:10 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
Jenise wrote:James, you're too harsh...I deliberately avoided dissing the dish as I know it's sacred territory for many. And as I said, it's tasty. But since you used the 's' word: to my mind, there is nothing the least bit snobbish about wanting to put the best possible food into your body. Why not make a version that's even tastier and better nourishment to boot based not on canned food, but better and healthier ingredients?

Like this:

Jenise,
I was reffering more to Bill than to you. Don't take what I said too seriously. That's why I put the little smiley face at the end. I am mostly a smart a## anyway. for the record I don't eat grean bean caserolle at Thanksgiving. For me it's an Easter dish.

I think we all need to chill out on the food thing though. Sometimes we just need to let these type ride.
Cheers!
James

All I did was agree with Jenise. I never take what you post seriously. Seriously!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:03 pm

Redwinger wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:

Like this:

Jenise,

Cheers!
James

All I did was agree with Jenise. I never take what you post seriously. Seriously!

At last! Someone who gets it! :lol:
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:28 pm

I, too, think that there is always a truth in every jest...right with you there, girl. A lot of folks don't see things that way. And, thanks for the recipe for green bean casserole - it is the first one that speaks to me. It seems weird but not once in my life have I ever made or been the recipient of green bean casserole, which has made me hugely curious over all these years. But all the recipes I've come across have seemed horrible. This is the first one that says 'yes'! Thanks (and happy Thanksgiving)! cheers, Bonnie
PS I made the GRamsay bubble and squeak cakes today to freeze. They seemed terrific - very much according to the recipe. Now, the proof of the pudding will be if they defrost and refresh and crisp up according to plan for the Thanksgiving feast. Will report back.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:12 pm

I know a Dorcas. I think she's in her nineties.

As to the green bean casserole. When I was cooking in NYC, I used to host a lot of parties in our little studio. Typically, a lot of chefs and cooks would come. It's a small world and there were some pretty big names at the parties (for back then...)

Anywho, I held a pot luck one time...Invited my restaurant friends and my college friends..one college friend brought her green bean casserole...She pulled me aside and was telling me how mortified she was that I hadn't told her who would be there and how she NEVER would have brought that dish, yadda yadda..she was only half joking...

We walked back out to the dining table.

The green bean casserole dish was cleaned right down to the last Durkee fried onion and great chefs and servers and owners alike were licking the last of it off their forks, saying how much they LOVED green bean casserole.

True story.

It's comfort food at its most basic. It's memories..
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:40 pm

Bonnie in Holland wrote: And, thanks for the recipe for green bean casserole - it is the first one that speaks to me. It seems weird but not once in my life have I ever made or been the recipient of green bean casserole, which has made me hugely curious over all these years.
This is the first one that says 'yes'!

Gotta admit, it had me drooling too. As someone who nearly always eats her vegetables first, I'd want that as a vegetarian main course.

PS I made the GRamsay bubble and squeak cakes today to freeze. They seemed terrific - very much according to the recipe. Now, the proof of the pudding will be if they defrost and refresh and crisp up according to plan for the Thanksgiving feast. Will report back.

I'll be looking for your report. I had bubble and squeak just once when I lived in England, and I adored it. I would love to make it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:50 pm

Barb Freda wrote:The green bean casserole dish was cleaned right down to the last Durkee fried onion and great chefs and servers and owners alike were licking the last of it off their forks, saying how much they LOVED green bean casserole.

True story.

It's comfort food at its most basic. It's memories..

Hilarious! And I understand--I've admitted before to having the same kind of comfort food reaction to plain Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup. I grew up on it, and there are always a few cans in my pantry for the odd cold day I don't feel well and an effortless mug of hot soup is required. It's just that, like Bonnie, the casserole wasn't part of my childhood so I have no attachment to it. In fact, I've only had it a few times, made by a girl I worked with years ago. It was very good, and she'd make it with french cut green beans so they'd get sloppier and absorb more flavor. I've never had it since, but if I were to, I'd probably be offended if it wasn't made with french cut green beans. :)
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:37 pm

Canned green beans cannot be rescued by canned soup. I guess the thinking was that Americans of little culinary discrimination could easily be bamboozled by form (i.e. convenience) over substance.

Thus was born the era of unhealthy convenience food that proceeded to entice 3 generations of Americans toward obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure and psychiatric diseases.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:25 pm

Bernard Roth wrote:Canned green beans cannot be rescued by canned soup. I guess the thinking was that Americans of little culinary discrimination could easily be bamboozled by form (i.e. convenience) over substance.

Thus was born the era of unhealthy convenience food that proceeded to entice 3 generations of Americans toward obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure and psychiatric diseases.

Hey, I don't have diabetes yet! Damn!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:55 pm

Thank you for this thread, Jenise. I'm amazed that this lover of junk food never heard of Green Bean Casserole.

And now you've gone and posted something that looks absolutely delicious. :)

I'll never get to taste the original. Do you happen to know where the inventor lives in New Jersey; it would be fun to meet her.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:53 am

OK, now you made me gone and done it... The amazing thing is people actually post pictures of their gawdawful creations.

http://www.familyoven.com/recipe/Grandma%27s-Green-Bean-Casserole/18805

http://www.campbellkitchen.com/recipedetail.aspx?recipeID=24099

http://allrecipes.com/Cooks-Profile/Photo.aspx?photoID=25656

http://www.grouprecipes.com/1616/green-bean-casserole.html

http://allrecipes.com/Cooks-Profile/Photo.aspx?photoID=25772

And look at this... People have such nostalgia for this chazerai that they try renditions that are even WORSE than the Campbell's original, posted by people who have no track record!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grandmas-Green-Bean-Casserole/Reviews.aspx?sort=ratingasc
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:59 am

Bernard Roth wrote:
And look at this... People have such nostalgia for this chazerai that they try renditions that are even WORSE than the Campbell's original, posted by people who have no track record!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grandmas-Green-Bean-Casserole/Reviews.aspx?sort=ratingasc

The uniformity of those reviews is impressive! Must be as awful as it sounds.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:43 am

Canned string beans are one of the few foodstuffs which cause an immediate gag reflex in me. I don't know how many times I had to sit and stare at cold string beans when I was a kid because I wasn't going anywhere until I nourished the starving children in India by cleaning my plate.

String bean casserole ... the only thing worse was tuna casserole.

My German ex-wife, however, used to make German style string beans with fresh string beans. You know with a roux, a touch of nutmeg and some nice cubed German bacon (Speck). Now that's some good eatin'! Just don't do it with canned string beans. Yuck!
And now what?
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:37 am

Gary Barlettano wrote:Canned string beans are one of the few foodstuffs which cause an immediate gag reflex in me. I don't know how many times I had to sit and stare at cold string beans when I was a kid because I wasn't going anywhere until I nourished the starving children in India by cleaning my plate.

I must have been in the second grade when I sarcastically suggested to Sister Tristani that I would gladly pack my disgusting school lunch up and she could mail it to the starving kids - in my era it was Biafra that was supposed to induce guilt.
A couple of smacks in the face later, my career of brown bagging my lunches began.

The canned green beans had a unique smell, too. I could tell when they were serving them even before I got to the serving line.
As horrible as they are right out of the can, the foodservice staff compounded that by overcooking them.

Bleeeeech.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:41 pm

I have never made it, or even been present when it was served. It just sounds so... not pleasant. But I am willing to admit I could be wrong. I think I'll give the updated version you posted a try, Jenise.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:51 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Thank you for this thread, Jenise. I'm amazed that this lover of junk food never heard of Green Bean Casserole.

I'll never get to taste the original. Do you happen to know where the inventor lives in New Jersey; it would be fun to meet her.

Regards, Bob

Bob, I'm astonished. Never heard of it? Even if some well-meaning friend hasn't served it to you, I'm surprised you haven't noticed the supermarket displays that show up at this time of year where, I can't think of the name for the ends of supermarket aisles used for sales or seasonal displays--but in one of those spaces, everything needed for Green Bean Casserole gets grouped. Cream of Mushroom Soup is always on sale during November for this reason, too.

Oh, and no re where in NJ Ms. Reilly lives.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:20 pm

No, I really never even heard of the dish, Jenise. Shows you how little time I spend in the canned food aisles, I guess.

I'll have to make both versions and do a taste test.

Fascinating how out of touch I am -- first burnt garlic, then green bean casserole -- how many taste delights out there are still awaiting discovery.
Next