Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The origins of Swiss Steak

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The origins of Swiss Steak

by Jenise » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:55 pm

Swiss Steak was what Christina mentioned making for dinner yesterday in Karen's dinner thread, and it sparked a completely forgotten memory from childhood for me: pieces 3/4" thick meat, a cut that when I was a child in Southern California was called "sirloin tips" but which we would recognize today as thick slices of tri tip, browned and braised for hours in gravy (no doubt primed with Kitchen Bouquet, which mom loved) and onions in an electric skillet. Mom used that electric skillet only for this and fried chicken, so it was always exciting to me when this big Faberware appliance came out even though, hating well done beef in any form, I didn't look forward to the meal.

I haven't had Swiss Steak since.

So I had to go do some digging. It was no surprise to find out, firstly, that you can't order this dish in Zurich. Giving something a foreign name back in the day was a linguistic way of identifying something as different from the normal way of doing things, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, and swissing , according to John Mariani's Dictionary of American Food & Drink , was an English term for rolling and pounding cloth flat which was then adopted as a food term for the process of pounding flour into meat as a preparation for braising.

The American Heritage Dictionary defines swiss steak thusly: "A round steak pounded with flour and braised in stock with vegetables." Webster's agrees, and mentions "smothered steak" as another name for the same dish. James Beard's 1949 The Fireside Cookbook mentions simply a braised beef "sometimes called Swiss Steak."

Cooking in America 1840-1945 by Alice McLean agrees. The base recipe cited by every one of these sources involves tougher cuts (round, chuck or shoulder) treated to a long, slow braise with acidic canned tomatoes as the base of the braising liquid. The recipe differs mildly in quantities, but basically they are conceptually the same recipe as appears in Bob's grandmother's 1943 edition of the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook (and amusingly, very unlike my mother's.) It is approximately 2 lbs of beef and 1/2 cup or more of flour, wherein the flour is "pounded into the meat until the meat will accept no more", browned in drippings, and then braised with a can of tomatoes, chopped onion and whatever stock or water is needed to create enough braising liquid. Salt and pepper are the only two seasonings.

According to Silvia Lovegren's Seven Decades of Fashionable Food , though the recipe first appeared in print in 1924, it didn't appear in cookbooks until the 40's "the method points to Pennsylvania Dutch origins" but that's conjecture and there's no evidence of who first made the dish. Regional cookbooks of the time describe it as a Wyoming specialty, and it was also spotted by one Clementine Paddleford in Indiana. What does seem undisputed is that it's popularity surged during the post-WWII years when the better, tenderer cuts of beef became too expensive for the average pocketbook.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: The origins of Swiss Steak

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:12 pm

Good ole Swiss Steak. I remember that the portions were never enough to fill me up. Several suspicious mushrooms were always floating around in the brown gravy. Mashed potatoes! There had to be mashed potatoes. And, finally, it was one of my least favorite TV dinners ... except that it usually had those little frozen, wrinkly pea pellets which, although technically not food or edible, I loved.

And then there was the version which was basically a chopped mystery meaty patty which had been breaded.

Hmmmm, time for lunch!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:51 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:And then there was the version which was basically a chopped mystery meaty patty which had been breaded.

Hmmmm, time for lunch!

Wasn't that called Salisbury Steak? I remember that from TV dinners, also from junior high school cafeteria lunchs (which, oddly, given my dislike at the time for well done roast beef, I adored).
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:00 pm

Jenise wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:And then there was the version which was basically a chopped mystery meaty patty which had been breaded.

Hmmmm, time for lunch!

Wasn't that called Salisbury Steak? I remember that from TV dinners, also from junior high school cafeteria lunchs (which, oddly, given my dislike at the time for well done roast beef, I adored).

You just might be right!! But for me it was all just another variant of a nondescript, not at all filling Swanson's evening.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:05 pm

Gary, I loved TV dinners. Not so much the way the food tasted, but I was fascinated by the compartments. I was convinced this was the way all food should be served: separated!
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:09 pm

Jenise wrote:Gary, I loved TV dinners. Not so much the way the food tasted, but I was fascinated by the compartments. I was convinced this was the way all food should be served: separated!

Oh, I agree with you, but they just weren't enough fuel for a 120 lb., 56" tall sixth grader and they just didn't taste like Mom's cookin'. But wasn't the Apple Brown Betty delightful?
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:35 pm

Gary, I don't remember the desserts at all. I think of all TV dinners as having just three compartments but now that you mention it I remember some larger ones--they must not have been the ones I liked, though. My favorite was fried chicken, something we didn't get enough of at home, and at 8 years old I thought the combination with mashed potatoes and corn was positively magical. In those days that didn't automatically out you as a carboholic the way it would today. :)
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Well, Jenise, my two brothers and I never thought the food was ever really that good. We had a bunch of Italian mamas, grandmamas, aunts, and other non-specifically related females in the family all of whom could cook up storm. In the words of the prophet, "We wuz sperlt."

Still, it was the novelty of the TV dinner which made it fun to eat. In fact, anything frozen was interesting. When I think of how awful frozen French fries and onion rings were and we still ate them with relish. Pop Tarts, frozen waffles, Jiffy Pop, the whole shebang ... no wonder I've got the body of an 80 year-old at 55!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:38 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:Still, it was the novelty of the TV dinner which made it fun to eat. In fact, anything frozen was interesting. When I think of how awful frozen French fries and onion rings were and we still ate them with relish. Pop Tarts, frozen waffles, Jiffy Pop, the whole shebang

Wasn't fortunate to be born Italian like you, but we didn't suffer at our home either. As you say, it was the novelty aspect of heat-and-eat that was so compelling. And as my mother's illness progressed, I am sure it was a nice crutch for her to think she could fill the deep freeze with food we could make for ourselves on her bad days.

Did you love Tater Tots as much as we did?
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:41 pm

Jenise wrote:Gary, I don't remember the desserts at all. I think of all TV dinners as having just three compartments but now that you mention it I remember some larger ones--they must not have been the ones I liked, though. My favorite was fried chicken, something we didn't get enough of at home, and at 8 years old I thought the combination with mashed potatoes and corn was positively magical. In those days that didn't automatically out you as a carboholic the way it would today. :)

Ah, Swanson's fried chicken TV dinner. I loved them, too. It was so different from any of our family cooking, that it just really excited me. That, and the foil trays, which were tres cool.
I really used to like eating the dinners, until one day, my dad came home from work, observed me eating one , and very matter of factly said, "You know, they put all the diseased chickens in those tv dinners." I must have been about eight. I never ate another one.

BTW, the fried chicken dinners had a small square of apple cobbler, I believe.
Last edited by John Tomasso on Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:41 pm

Jenise wrote:Did you love Tater Tots as much as we did?

Absolutely! And I imagine it's a lingering effect of the addiction that nowadays I am tempted so often to buy a box of frozen White Castle hamburgers. I have yet to yield to this temptation.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:45 pm

Interesting topic. My father used inexpensive roast cuts, or rump roast etc. (cuts that make good stews, in other words), braised slowly in tomato sauce with herbs and (I think) garlic. I remember them being not bad, once cooked long enough to be tender. (With patties shaped from ground beef instead, he called them Salisbury steaks.)

Whatever the name or its US history, this is a type of braise with many variations around Italy. There they make "drunken pork" where the liquid is mixed wines plus tomato puree. Or a type of pot roast where you lard a big piece of meat with garlic, then braise it long with tomato puree, chopped mixed vegetables, and herbs. Basically these dishes are versions of stews with the meat in a different shape. Though I agree a good tender piece of meat is best when just cooked, braising moves beyond "well done" to gradually tenderize the meat, and dishes with flavorful ingredients in the braise put something into the meat as they leach out its juices -- which then are retained in the sauce.

Meat braises like this with their bold savory sauce serve up very well -- very well indeed, Clive Coates would add -- with noodles, spaetzle, etc.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:01 pm

Interesting subject, Jenise. The OED found a couple of very interesting uses of the name:

1932 E. CRAIG Cooking with Elizabeth Craig 175 Swiss Steak... Take a..2 pound slice of steak. Sprinkle thickly with flour. Pound... Brown steak on both sides.

1947 L. P. DE GOUY Gold Cookery Bk. vi. 345 Swiss Steak. The original name of this recipe was ‘Schmor Braten.’ It is three centuries old.

1973 Black Panther 12 May 10/1 Safeway was charged with..mislabeling swiss steaks as round steak for an extra profit of ten cents per pound.

Incidentally, they define "Swiss Steak": Swiss steak U.S., a steak (usu. round) cooked by dipping in flour, pounding and braising, and served with vegetables; hence, a steak (usu. a less tender cut) suitable for cooking in this way.

Their version of Salisbury steak is what I remember from my childhood:

[f. the name of J. H. Salisbury (1823-1905), American physician specializing in the chemistry of foods + STEAK.]

A variety of hamburger steak initially promoted by Salisbury.
1897 A. K. ECCLES Man. what to Eat 9 To cook the Salisbury steak..place the Cakes on the broiler, turning frequently until done.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:23 pm

To try to unhijack this thread----

Origin of Swiss Steak: tough meat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:33 pm

Carl, that's snide. And well-deserved. :)

Max, my mother should have known Clive Coates. Noodles would have lightened up her version considerably.

But yes, braising tenderizes meat in wonderful ways. And it's been a revelation for many of us who grew up with thick gravies to learn how inviting braises with just broth and/or wine can be.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:29 am

Thanks for that info, Jenise. For some reason, I had thought Swiss steak was also called "Swissed steak", which I guess would refer to the technique. Don't remember where I heard that, though.

And just to keep the hijacking going, I used to love TV dinners, particularly the ones with the brownie dessert. And I still enjoy the occasional tater tot.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:40 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote: For some reason, I had thought Swiss steak was also called "Swissed steak", which I guess would refer to the technique.

I think you're right - but I believe it refers to the act of passing the meat through a mechanical tenderizer, as in, "I'll take 2 lbs of those incredibly tough round steaks, please, and can you Swiss them for me?"
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:25 pm

Regarding salisbury steak, I think that synonym for "hamburger" became popular in the USA and the UK, and even Russia, during World War I, when anti-German hysteria prompted a lot of name changes:

hamburgers became salisbury steaks
frankfurters and wieners became hot dogs
sauerkraut became victory cabbage
the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha became the House of Windsor
Battenburg became Mountbatten
St. Petersburg became Petrograd

Like indigestion, history repeats itself. Freedom fries unfortunately have a lot of ignominious precedent.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:03 pm

Bob Ross wrote:The OED found a couple of very interesting uses of the name:
1947 L. P. DE GOUY Gold Cookery Bk. vi. 345 Swiss Steak. The original name of this recipe was ‘Schmor Braten.’ It is three centuries old.

(Belated reply: Had this yesterday but no time to post.)

Yes, I was checking this in some standard cookbooks. Louis De Gouy begins "The original name for this recipe was 'Schmor Braten.' It is three centuries old." [In 1947.] De Gouy browns a 3-pound piece of round steak, then braises with water, onion, and a big bouquet garni for an hour, then adds tomato puree and a little mustard; "continue simmering for another hour, or until done, and the meat may be cut with a fork."

Scharfenberg in his modern German cookbook gives, as "Swiss Steak," an updated version of a 1790 Germanic recipe for braised Sirloin. In this case the meat is larded, then braised in its own drippings, without added water. Today, "In Germany, this dish would be prepared with a less formidable cut called the Blume," approximately a rump steak. Scharfenberg's German name for this particular dish is Mürbraten auf Teutsch.

That entry (to speak as a practical cook) follows after Scharfenberg's very useful Westphalian stew recipe "Beef Hot Pot with Pepper," Pfeffer-Potthast, a glorious and emphatically recommended meat-onion stew cooked in beer but flavored unusually with lemon slices, allspice, and lots of black pepper, and thickened with crushed rusks.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:14 pm

Forgot to add: This thread contributed to a choice of cooking yesterday, Grilled Salisbury Steaks Belmont, from the US classic Gourmet Cook Book (1950). Sort of dish that used to be popular in US, other relatives are in plenty of mid-century cookbooks.

Fresh ground beef mixed with chopped sweet pepper, onion, crushed garlic, chives, lots of parsley, dried paprika, salt, pepper, and a little thyme. Shaped into individual steaks, left to diffuse flavors for a while and come up in temp. for easier broiling (the raw "steaks" had an appealing herb-vegetable aroma), broiled fast until done to taste. Served with a rice-vegetable pilaf and an old-fashioned steak sauce prepared separately (also in the original recipe) by cooking butter, lemon juice, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, mustard, pepper, a little mace (important ingredient), and sherry. Good stuff.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:03 pm

The Saint Louis Clinical Review: A Monthly Journal of Homoeopathic Medicine, 1885, contains a technique for making Salisbury Steak. Other sources in England and the US summarize this basic technique in the same time period.

SALSIBURY STEAK AND TREATMENT.—The Salisbury steak is made by
taking the best slices of the "round" of the beef, and chopping it with dull
knives. The object is not to cut, but rather pound the meat. By thus treating
it, the pulp comes to the top, and the tough, fibrous portion remains
below. This pulp is scraped off and made into cakes, like sausage-
cakes, or in the shape like a good sized steak and gently broiled on a gridiron.
It has been found that meat gently cooked is more digestible than raw. The
Fire must be good, so that the meat may be rapidly broiled—that is, be cooked
on the outside and almost raw inside.
A little salt and pepper and a small amount of butter added make a not
at all unpalatable dish, and one which contains all the strength of the beef,
with the tough, indigestable portion entirely separated. This diet is used
exclusively in chronic cases, by physicians professing to treat according to
the Salisbury method. They use but few drugs, and what they use are
mainly tonics. The diet is used not only in diseased dig'estion, but diseases
of liver, kidneys, stomach, bowels, nerves, etc., and remarkable results are
said to have been obtained.

The article may be found here.