Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Capriole Goat Cheese and Graeter's Ice Cream

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Capriole Goat Cheese and Graeter's Ice Cream

by Redwinger » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:40 am

NJ and I headed south on I-65 for a house hunting expedition to the north shores of the Ohio River near Louisville. While we were not successful in finding the next Casa Redwinger we did enjoy the lovely splashes of autumn hillside colors between Corydon and Floyds Knob.
In chat Robin recommended Capriole Goat Cheeses a few times, so since we were in the area we called ahead to be sure they were open. We were politely told "we don't do tours, but we do sell cheese"...that was fine with us. The place is pretty much off the beaten path, down a bumpy, uphill, gravel lane about 1/3 of a mile from the blacktop. Aside from the small sign on the blacktop entrance, no hint at all that the place exists.

We entered the darkened 12x15 sales room after an appropriate greeting from the two farm dogs.

No cheese anywhere in sight. A sign said ring the bell which was suspended in the interior doorway from a goat harness. After a few minutes, a person appeared who obviously had been pre-occupied with the task of making cheeses. One of us mentioned we'd like to perhaps purchase some cheeses and she disappeared into the bowels of the backroom. Perhaps 5 or 10 minutes elapsed (we thought she maybe forgot we were there) when she reappears with a platter of 4 cheeses for use to sample. All were wonderful, although I did find the herb crusted sample to be a bit overdone for my palate..I'm not a goat cheese snob, but I know what I like. c :o

A few quick purchases and we were on our way and I sensed the lady was quite happy to get back to her cheese making.

As we headed for home, we emptied the cooler of non essentials like food and water and stopped by the Graeter's Ice Cream franchise which I had spied traveling through New Albany, IN. This is their only location in Indiana and I believe most of their store are located between Southwestern Ohio, Northern Kentucky and the Louisville area. Loaded up my treasure chest (cooler)with pints of their Black Raspberry Chip Ice Cream and dry ice and headed home. A delightful couple of days.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!