Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Seductive dinner music

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Seductive dinner music

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:16 pm

My other favorite is an old song by The Dead Kennedys, about which, more hier.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:31 am

Teach Me Tonight by Hank Crawford.

Sexist song I have ever used...er, known.

No kidding.

I fell in love with my wife to that tune.
Last edited by TimMc on Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:20 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Have a listen to these.

Jo Ann, just so you'll know, I jumped in and "embedded" a few of your long links that were stretching the forum window. No extra charge!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:08 pm

Howie Hart wrote:This is what I think is the ultimate in Seductive dinner music:
Erik Satie "Gymnopedie No. 1".

I happen to play that on the piano, but I can't do two things at once. 8)

We both have colds and are under the weather, but I'm having a good time trying out the suggestions, even those I don't really consider seduction music. I'm thinking smooth and sultry jazz (like Stormy Weather, Tenderly sung by a vamp on a grand piano)--not freight train sounds (even if the train goes into a tunnel)--or certain classical pieces or certain new age pieces (Enya, etc.). If it's frenetic, dissonant and cacophonic, I guarantee I'll hear, "Turn that off!"

While looking at the suggestions, I've discovered some other artists I didn't know about, such as Ceu, who has a wonderful tessitura (texture) to her voice (Brazilian music).
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:03 pm

I often will play the Classics during a romantic dinner.....anybody else?
no avatar
User

Karen Ellis

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:23 pm

Memphis, TN

by Karen Ellis » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:48 pm

Depends on your age, but I would melt with The Lettermen....
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:13 am

Thanks for all your suggestions. I discovered a new artist or two because of them.

Diana Krall is good; the Brazilian, Ceu, is good. I borrowed a bunch of Sinatra. Others that are nice to listen to are Enya, Andrea Boccelli and Josh Groban. A number of classical pieces are nice. I think Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun is one of the most sensual pieces ever written.

Speaking of rainbows: Albuquerque had a big, beautiful one yesterday. We are blessed with frequent rainbows because rain is frequently near the mountains and the setting sun tends to peek under any clouds.

I've started playing Roger Williams' Over the Rainbow at my gig. A beautiful arrangement.

But if you want to hear one of the most beautiful Over the Rainbows ever recorded, look up Eva Cassidy (Over the Rainbow) on YouTube. What a voice.
no avatar
User

Karen Ellis

Rank

Ultra geek

Memphis, TN

by Karen Ellis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:29 pm

Larry, it's hard to beat the Lettermen, but if you say so ... I mean, Romantic R Them!

My favorite music is classical, but I also love other genres, among them blues and 60s rock 'n' roll. Not into country except for Dolly Parton. She flies with us sometimes and is always just as exuberant in person as she is on the stage. I think she's genuine! You can't not love her, and her voice is extraordinary. Whitney Houston singing "I Will Always Love You" in The Bodyguard gave me chills.

So, what's your favorite dinner music?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:56 pm

Well, if we were alone, I'd certainly play the Lettermen for you. 8)

Incidentally, my wife is as tall as Dolly Parton (5'), but that's the only similarity.

I have diverse musical likings, excepting rap, of course: >Thump, thump, kill the motherf***ker, kill the motherf***ker<

I generally play classical (from Renaissance to Bach and beyond), new age, Celtic, etc. for soft dinner music. Even environmental sounds. Whatever sounds good. I never have the volume at obtrusive levels; I hate it if I can't hear the other person. Conversation is where it's at.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:46 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
I have diverse musical likings, excepting rap, of course: >Thump, thump, kill the motherf***ker, kill the motherf***ker<

You have apparently never heard Richard Cheese sing rap. He sings all kinds of music--in the smarmy crooner, lounge-lizard style and he doesn't bleep the bad words. It's a scream. I'll see if I can find an example on You Tube.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:53 pm

no avatar
User

Karen Ellis

Rank

Ultra geek

Memphis, TN

by Karen Ellis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:00 pm

But, Larry, what's YOUR favorite romantic dinner music?

I like non-dirty rap, but that's where the problem comes in. Almost all rap is filthy. :( It's fun when it's clean.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:32 pm

Jenise, I sort of collect "mismatched covers" where the cover band just totally doesn't get the original song. Yours takes the cake.

One of my previous favorites in this genre was Devo's cover of "Are You Experienced" by Jimi Hendrix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qonTIZGu27w

I doubt that what Jimi had in mind involved inflatable buttocks and shoulders. And having Hendrix emerge from a coffin as an un-dead guitarist is yet another nice touch...

Frank
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:52 pm

Karen Ellis wrote:My favorite music is classical, but I also love other genres, among them blues and 60s rock 'n' roll. Not into country except for Dolly Parton. She flies with us sometimes and is always just as exuberant in person as she is on the stage. I think she's genuine! You can't not love her, and her voice is extraordinary. Whitney Houston singing "I Will Always Love You" in The Bodyguard gave me chills.

Karen, you actually get to fly with Dolly Parton!? She is one of my all-time favorite singers, and one whom I have never gotten to see perform. IMHO, while Whitney Houston is good, her version of "I will always love you" cannot compare to Dolly singing that song.
no avatar
User

Karen Ellis

Rank

Ultra geek

Memphis, TN

by Karen Ellis » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:24 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:
Karen Ellis wrote:
Karen, you actually get to fly with Dolly Parton!? She is one of my all-time favorite singers, and one whom I have never gotten to see perform. IMHO, while Whitney Houston is good, her version of "I will always love you" cannot compare to Dolly singing that song.

Ah, Robert, I've never had Dolly on MY flight, but friends of mine have. All of them say she is just as bubbly and delightful in person as she is on stage, which is not the norm for Hollywood types. I could tell you some stories about some celebs who are not at all nice in person. Dolly pokes her head into the cockpit/flight deck and says, "Hello, boys!" (Usually it's male pilots.)

I couldn't agree with you more about "I will always love you." But Whitney's rendition is still hard to contend with. And Eric Clapton singing "Layla" ... OMG. I just love him!

Dolly Parton is a true icon, and she's sweet and friendly. I would fight anyone who had a bad word to say about her.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:38 am

celia wrote:What, no George Benson ? Man is a legend. :)

I'm not a huge fan of him myself, but 'Masquerade' worked absolute wonders on my first girlfriend.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:11 am

Karen Ellis wrote:But, Larry, what's YOUR favorite romantic dinner music?

I like non-dirty rap, but that's where the problem comes in. Almost all rap is filthy. :( It's fun when it's clean.

With my favorite wife, it never fails with Enya, Andrea Boccelli, Sarah Brightman or Josh Groban. I like 'em, too.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:41 pm

To Frank Deis:

Frank, the Devo tune was hilariously rank. And I just found another for your collection: go to this link, scroll down a few and play Twisted Sister's cover of the 12 Days of Christmas.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:33 pm

Jenise wrote:To Frank Deis:

Frank, the Devo tune was hilariously rank. And I just found another for your collection: go to this link, scroll down a few and play Twisted Sister's cover of the 12 Days of Christmas.

Link?

F
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:36 am

Concerning seductive dinner music: tonight, my wife pointedly advised me, "It's quicker if you don't sing."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:37 pm

Frank--oops!

Here you go:

Once on the page, the Twisted Sister album is the 7th or 8th down, and clicking on the song name plays it.
[url]
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6527454[/url]
Previous