Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cardoon epiphany

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cardoon epiphany

by Jenise » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:04 pm

When: last Saturday night
Where: at Nick's Cafe in McMinneville, Oregon
How: as a room temp appetizer course, they were cut into batonets, probably pre-cooked, then lightly marinated with mild citrus flavors and served with shaved radishes, finely chopped chives and slices of fresh orange.
Prior experience: have never seen them on a restaurant menu before, and have never eaten them. I did purchase them once in Southern California to cook at home and my efforts were not successful, though it's been so long I don't remember what I tried to do and why it wasn't successful.

But my this was a wonderful dish. Cardoons are the leaf or stalk of a plant that's in the thistle family and the flavor's similar to that of artichoke, and when cooked they have a texture that's similar to bamboo shoot, though softer. They're apparently a fall vegetable.

Now that I'm a fan, I'd love to try my hand at preparing them again, but my chances of finding raw cardoon up here is probably like that of the famous snowball in a hot place. So I'll have to settle for vicariously enjoying the work of others. Any other fans? How do you like to prepare them?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Cardoon epiphany

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:53 pm

First time I had them (in France), they were blanched, then put into a very rich gratin. Absolutely perfect.

I liken them more to chard (the white part, not the leaf), but I can go with your description.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:37 am

Occasionally I've been able to buy them fresh at the SB farmers market. It takes a lot of prep work, blanching, destringing, etc. I also tend to prefer gratinee. I have a jar of preserve cardoon, but not much inkling what to do with it. Somehow, the idea of a gratinee of waterlogged cardoon doesn't appeal.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:05 pm

Bernard and Stuart, I read another recipe just yesterday for fried cardoons that called for pre-soaking the trimmed cardoons in salt water for eight hours. It didn't specify why that step, and I don't recall doing that part myself years ago. The recipe didn't specify why one should do this, but perhaps it leaches out the bitterness I remember from my own attempt at cardoons and didn't find in the dish I ordered at Nick's. Can either of you verify?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:15 pm

I've never heard of this. The way I learned it (and I do it), is to trim them and put them immediately into the gratin or let rest in acidulated water.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.