Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Spiced Kabocha Squash

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

RCP: Spiced Kabocha Squash

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:25 pm

Or "A Tribute to Walt Nissen."

Inspired on Walt's vaguely Asian take on one of my favorite squashes, we did a more Euro-Cali version, but using the same basic ideas.

Cut open a Kabocha squash, trim off the stem, and scrape out the seeds and strings. Slice into wedges, then peel (easier said than done). Toss the wedges with salt, ground Bali Long Peppers (you could use some pink peppercorns if you're averse to getting specialty stuff), and a few generous pinches of allspice. Add a few tablespoons of melted butter and a tablespoon of Austrian pumpkinseed oil (Kuerbiskernoel) and toss well. Place the wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet, then roast at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Turn over the wedges and roast for 5-10 more minutes, or until they're softened and aromatic. Plate, then drizzle with more melted butter and pumpkinseed oil. Garnish with a little chopped sage and fancy colored salt (I used black lava salt).

"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: RCP: Spiced Kabocha Squash

by Bernard Roth » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:32 am

I did something similar, but easier, last night.

I had leftover roasted kabocha. I just stick the whole squash in a baking pan and roast at 375-400 until a 2-prong meat fork readily pierces it.

After spooning out the seeds and string and cooling the squash, I cut it into wedges and cut the squash from the skin. I tossed chunks of the squash flesh into a hot skillet with canola and melted butter. Season with salt and white pepper. Occasionally toss or turn the squash pieces. Then drizzle with roasted pumpkin seed oil, continue sauteeing, and dust with grated nutmeg. The sauteeing helps develop a caramelized character.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: RCP: Spiced Kabocha Squash

by John Tomasso » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am

This squash makes for a tasty soup, as well.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"