Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Unconventional Thanksgiving

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Unconventional Thanksgiving

by Paul Winalski » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:46 am

I'm on my own this year.

I'm NOT doing a turkey in any way, shape, or form, which would condemn me to turkey leftovers for a month or more.

What I AM doing is Ning Mon Gai--Chinese lemon chicken. What Cantonese sweet-and-sour chicken was always meant to be. An ethereal delight that is too much of a pain in the ass to be in my regular culinary regimen.

I have special emotional connections with this recipe.

Back in the mid-1970s, **THE** most prestigious Chinese restaurant in New York City was Pearl's, in Manhattan. My mother was fond of the place, and I was blown away by the greatness of the food when I visited there.

My mother and I were delighted to see the precise recipe for Lemon Chicken that we'd enjoyed so much published in the food section of the New York Times in 1976. Alas, when I wrote to her, my mother had not saved the recipe (my parents did subscribe to the New York Times). Most fortunately, someone on my dorm corridor in my senior year at college subscribed to the Times, and he'd thrown out a ten-foot-high stack of back issues. I rummaged through the lot and was able to salvage the NYT recipe, which is identical to what I remember from Pearl's, and is what I to this day make as Chinese Lemon Chicken.

I have already posted this recipe to this group, so I won't repeat it.

But I WILL repeat it this Thanksgiving in my home, with fond memories, and I will give thanks for the extraordinary fortune of having recovered this recipe from the garbage at Holy Cross College in the spring of 1976.

A joyous Thanksgiving to you all,

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Unconventional Thanksgiving

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:39 am

I have also been thinking about what to do, as I will be by myself this year too.

I need to do something "special" or I will feel really homesick, but I am leaning toward lasagna instead of the traditional fare. I only make it about 6 times a year and it has the advantage of yielding freezeable leftovers.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:57 pm

Cynthia and Paul, I wish you both well on your solo Thanksgivings. Makes me sad to think of anyone being alone on this day--more so than any other holiday. Take care, and be good to yourselves.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:38 pm

Paul and Cynthia
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am having a house load of family. Trust me, from my perspective, you have the better end of this deal! I'm leaving my car parked on the street just in case I feel the need to escape to the Sheraton.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:57 pm

I once spent Christmas alone, 550 miles from home. It was not pleasant. :(
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:58 pm

I didn't quite know where to put this, so here's as good a place as any.

http://www.winecommonsewer.com/the_wine ... urkey.html
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:08 pm

Sounds like you're doing it right, Paul. I've been alone on a holiday or two myself and it was just fine. It's a good opportunity to do something you enjoy and to reflect on the good things you have. And if you want, you can let the dishes sit in the sink while you enjoy a good dessert wine and a movie or football game or whatever the hell else you want to watch!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:08 pm

Count me in the solo club this year too. I was actually about to start a thread devoted to this topic before I stumbled across this one.

Here is my menu:

Roasted Cornish Game Hen

Sweet Potato Puree with Rosemary and EVOO

Roasted French Fingerling Potatoes with Wilted Spinach and Spices

Apple and Cranberry Gallette.

And it is all portioned just for one person. I'll post pics tomorrow. Maybe I'll host a CTC for all the loners. I'll post an announcement tomorrow if I do but check the chat room anyway.

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL. Be safe, merry, and relaxed.

Much love,
The Cowboy
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:19 pm

Sounds really good Paul. What a great story about getting the recipe.

Sorry that some of you have to spend the holiday solo...hopefully, your meals will be delicious and you have a "peaceful" day.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:33 pm

Thanks, Maria.

The Ning Mon Gai (which I don't make very often, as I don't indulge in deep-fried foods that much) came out wonderful, as it always does.

Along with it I had a 1993 Le Montrachet from the excellent negociant house Le Gouzotte d'Or. Yes, white Burgundy CAN age excellently on occasion. It was a perfect foil for the sweet-and-sour Lemon Chicken.

And it was damn enjoyable just sipping on its own, too.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:29 pm

Paul Winalski wrote: But I WILL repeat it this Thanksgiving in my home, with fond memories, and I will give thanks for the extraordinary fortune of having recovered this recipe from the garbage at Holy Cross College in the spring of 1976.

-Paul W.

Is that Holy Cross College as in Worcester, Mass.?