Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What do you usually eat for breakfast?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: What do you usually eat for breakfast?

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:23 pm

Sometimes Greek yogurt drizzled with a good honey and fruit.

Always - in season fruit, two or three kinds. Every spring and summer, I freeze strawberries, raspberries (red and golden) blueberries, sliced plums, and peaches. So even in winter when we can only get grapefruit and apples that are any good, I have good fruit.
Cereal - maybe 6 times a year.
Toast or half a bagel - maybe two mornings, along with my fruit.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:07 pm

On days that I'm at work, I'll skip breakfast and eat an early lunch instead (c.at noon). On days that I'm at home, I'll eat - shock, horror - porridge! :) I like porridge with some of the berries that I've preserved from my parents' garden. Does no one else like porridge?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:14 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Redwinger wrote:2 bottles of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
'Winger

Startin' the day right, I see..

You know what they say about it being the most important meal.

Or, as my Dad was fond of saying: "Only alcoholics have to wait until noon".
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:38 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Captain Crunch!!!!!

If I could eat these and get away with it, I'd be right there with you James. My favorite!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:47 pm

Three basic choices:

Oatmeal with egg whites and olive oil, or

Left overs from the night before -- meat loaf or cold vegetables, especially (and I never warm them up first), or

Once a week pancakes or waffles or some other baked dish -- usually egg based but even baked apples get the nod from time to time.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:04 pm

When I'm being good ... and I'm usually being good ... one ounce (give or take) of TJ's High Fibre Cereal blended with one ounce (give or take) of TJ's or real Cheerios or other oat-based cereal topped with a handful of dried cranberries or a couple of sliced strawberries in non-fat milk. Sometimes I toss in a tablespoon or two of oat bran for good measure. For breakfast dessert it's generally a banana but can be a pear or an apple or a couple of Medjool dates. Coffee or tea, depending on with whom I'm sharing the meal.

When I'm being bad ... which is getting less and less frequent ... leftover whatever but especially pizza or meatballs. For the last couple of days it's been leftover dressing ... and my daughter is really ticked off at me because she's being coming over for T-Day leftovers and laundry. "Dad, did you have to glom all the dressing I liked!? Hmmmppphhh!!!"
And now what?
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:33 pm

Every day is a glass of V-8 juice.

Workdays, usually a bowl of Fiber One cereal with low fat milk. Sometimes two pieces of toast with a little butter instead. Two cups of coffee.

Weekends either the same or maybe 2 eggs fried or in a cheese omelet. Two pieces of toast, lightly buttered, one with orange marmalade. Coffee. If either of the kids wake for breakfast, it could be pancakes instead of eggs.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:23 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Captain Crunch!!!!!

If I could eat these and get away with it, I'd be right there with you James. My favorite!

I don't get away with it, but I do love it too.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:38 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:On days that I'm at work, I'll skip breakfast and eat an early lunch instead (c.at noon). On days that I'm at home, I'll eat - shock, horror - porridge! :) I like porridge with some of the berries that I've preserved from my parents' garden. Does no one else like porridge?

-O-

Otto, if you consider oatmeal porridge then, yes, I adore porridge. Every morning I eat a huge bowl of steel cut oats thickened with almond butter and seasoned with raisins, cinnamon, and vanilla. I top it with just a hint of maple syrup.

I also have a pot of Pu-Erh tea.

rwj
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:56 am

Randy R wrote:at a very large convention hotel, I think it was in Madrid, where they had a huge breakfast room that appeared to be trying to cater to every cultural desire in the world for this first meal of the day in an enormous buffet.

Then you won't want to hear about a high-end Hong Kong hotel with a -- I can only call it a wing -- devoted to breakfast, with a (European) senior hotel manager in charge, and an important chef -- they called it something apt, breakfast theatre? -- RR, if interested, I could dig out the notes, including manager's card; this was just a few years ago. Recommended by a relative in the travel business there, when I said I only had a couple days to stay there so what the hell, why not go for it. But this "breakfast theatre" or whatever was an attraction of this billion-dollar hotel, people came there just for breakfast -- including, during my brief stay, the Prime Minister of ---------. Anyway, quotation below is the only one I have both breakfast- and wine-related, from standard print sources.

-------------
The great white wines of Meursault rank only after the Montrachet group and Corton-Charlemagne. They are very dry, yet ingratiatingly soft. Some ascribe to them a taste of oatmeal, but I don’t eat much oatmeal, fortunately, so am no judge. Others speak of their flavour of peaches, and here for once I am with them, for I can detect this ...

H. W. Yoxall, The Wines of Burgundy, 1968 (IW&FS edition), ISBN 0140462007.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:00 am

On work days, every day for the last three years I have had a granola bar and a bottle of water. I'm the kind of guy that can eat the same thing every day and not get bored, though from all the research that has been done, people who eat big breakfasts are usually healthier.

On weekends it is typically peanut butter toast or cereal (both with lots of skim milk).

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:44 am

I'm bad. Leftover pizza this morning. Matsutake and a cheese blend. Crafted by Traci who, I must say, knows her pizza.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:46 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I'm bad. Leftover pizza this morning. Matsutake and a cheese blend. Crafted by Traci who, I must say, knows her pizza.

Good for you! I had poached eggs, of course. I'm saving the pizza for lunch. When Tony woke up this morning he said, "Did I miss the second pizza?" and "How was the Lagier Meredith?" Ha!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:52 am

"Yes" and "eh."
:P
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:00 pm

Multi grain tortilla with sliced smoked turkey..couple of squeezes of yellow mustard. Couple of cups of coffee. Pretty much routine during the workweek. On weekends, I usually make my way down to the bakery for kolaches.

Richard
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:44 pm

Hell no, that's a nice source of calcium.
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:11 pm

Weekdays I never eat breakfast per se, just a mug of coffee with milk and sugar at about 7am. Then at 10:30 or 11 am, when I'm hungry, I eat lunch or brunch, which might be leftovers from dinner the night before, or peanut butter toast, or avocado toast or soup, and possibly some fruit if I want to finish with something sweet. Often in the late afternoon I'll have a 4 oz. yogurt and drink a big glass of water. On weekends, we do eat a hot breakfast but then skip lunch.
Previous