Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The Great Mocha Almond Angel Food Cake Challenge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

Re: Photos..

by Barb Freda » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:33 am

I made the cake again yesterday because I wanted it without the buttercream.

I used store bought organic egg whites, conveniently packaged in pint containers--just what Rose asks for ...and it worked great AND I wasn't left with 16 yolks to use up...

B
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:50 am

You could have gotten real eggs, made a savory Angel Food cake and served it with poached salmon and hollandaise. Then you wouldn't have the egg yolk dilemma. But I digress...

rwj
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:13 pm

Please, I am still working off the 16 yolks from the first cake!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:28 am

Howie Hart wrote:I made the cake today and it was very good. I took it to my son Dan's for Sunday dinner, where it was birthday cake dessert for Pete's Thanksgiving dinner (Pete's birthday was on Thanksgiving, but he was still at Fort Hood). I used 1 cup of brewed espresso in the batter. While fully cooked, it was almost a bit too moist. Instead of frosting, I made the Almond Chocolate Creme Brulee posted earlier, adding another cup of espresso to that mix. It was delicious, but a bit too thin. Perhaps some powdered sugar blended in would have thickened it. I took pictures, but I'm too tired right now to post them. I hope to get around to it tomorrow.
I just realized that I forgot to post the picture of my cake. It was still in my camera when I downloaded my photos from the Texas trip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:14 pm

Leslie D. wrote:Well, my cake is baked and hanging upside down. It was a near disaster, it was in the oven, I was cleaning up the counter and noticed a measuring cup...with flour in it.

Took the cake out of the oven, scooped out the batter, added the flour, folded it in, back in the pan and the oven.

I am so out of practice baking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: The Great Mocha Almond Angel Food Cake Challenge

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:22 pm

This was a great post, guys. I'm in for the next challenge.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:40 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:This was a great post, guys. I'm in for the next challenge.

Great--see the Blood Orange Tart recipe.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:56 pm

Let's do it.

rwj
Previous