Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Emeril out at the Food Network

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Emeril out at the Food Network

by Carl Eppig » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:21 pm

Mario is on Fine Living these days; but they may be all reruns.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:16 am

RichardAtkinson wrote:Re: Batali….I had wondered who Michael Symon was replacing on Iron Chef America. I thought it would have to be Cat Cora until I saw the noticeable lack of Mario during the judging. Now Emeril… Well, its not surprising considering the what the network looks like these days.

I am pretty impressed with Symon though. Nice that they gave so many a chance at the spot instead just designating another chef, though.

Richard

I've just finished watching a program called 'The Next Iron Chef'.
Obviously some people have seen the new series and know the result, but I tried to ignore what I had seen in this thread until after the final was aired on TV here, tonight, in this part of the world.
The series started with 8 hopefuls for the position, including two women, and ended up with just two finalists slogging it out in Kitchen Stadium.
The runner up to Michael Symon, John Besh, had actually beaten the outgoing Iron Chef, Mario Batali, in season 3.
Michael Symon had lost to Masaharu Morimoto in season 2.

I would love to know howclose the voting was in the final result.
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:56 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
RichardAtkinson wrote:Re: Batali….I had wondered who Michael Symon was replacing on Iron Chef America. I thought it would have to be Cat Cora until I saw the noticeable lack of Mario during the judging. Now Emeril… Well, its not surprising considering the what the network looks like these days.

I am pretty impressed with Symon though. Nice that they gave so many a chance at the spot instead just designating another chef, though.

Richard

I've just finished watching a program called 'The Next Iron Chef'.
Obviously some people have seen the new series and know the result, but I tried to ignore what I had seen in this thread until after the final was aired on TV here, tonight, in this part of the world.
The series started with 8 hopefuls for the position, including two women, and ended up with just two finalists slogging it out in Kitchen Stadium.
The runner up to Michael Symon, John Besh, had actually beaten the outgoing Iron Chef, Mario Batali, in season 3.
Michael Symon had lost to Masaharu Morimoto in season 2.

I would love to know howclose the voting was in the final result.

Sue, Michael Ruhlman kept a weekly blog throughout the competition. The blog in itself was pretty entertaining. Here's a link to his wrapup blog with some behind the scenes judging comments. Pretty interesting.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:43 pm

ScottD wrote:
Sue Courtney wrote:I would love to know howclose the voting was in the final result.

Sue, Michael Ruhlman kept a weekly blog throughout the competition. The blog in itself was pretty entertaining. Here's a link to his wrapup blog with some behind the scenes judging comments. Pretty interesting.

Scott. Throughout the competition we (that's Neil and I) thought Besh would win - but there was one program that showed off Besh's skills in southern cooking and at that stage I had doubts that he would get the nod in the end. I thought his style could be too similar to Bobby Flay's.

Once the Iron Chefs started judging, we knew Symon would win based on the comments that went to air.
When a judge says, "I can't taste the secret ingredient," (as in Besh's lobster and crab roll and again in the dessert - even though it was whipped up last minute in true Iron Chef style), you know that the chef the comments are directed to is going to lose.

It's interesting to read this blog and find what the series judges thought. Thanks for the link.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:16 pm

"...continue to be a part of the Food Network family." - Yeah, right. We'll see how much a part before he's disowned completely or made, once again, the favorite son.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:11 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Well...Jenise, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. No one can ever convince me that Emeril can cook well...I don't like his recipes, or his restaurants, and I especially never cared for his patronizing tone in his shows, "First you take some vermouth, add some chilled vodka...shake well, and that is what I like to call a Martini". REALLY?!! WOW...you're amazing!!

Anyway, I do totally agree about the other Food Network people you cited...I think they are just gosh darn awful...and had to LOL about Ina's blue outfits!! I haven't watched much Food TV in yrs...kinda sad, BUT, at least I found you all. MUCH better than Food TV :) !

Edited to add: I do like Tyler and Alton though... :)

Maria, I totally agree with you, never liked his recipes either, nor his loudness and especially the BAM.
Regarding Ina, I must say that I feel sorry for her. Those blue denim shirts she wears are no doubt comfortable for her on her large size. It is not fun going shopping when you are the size she is. When you find something you love and that fits, you buy - then wear it all the time.
She has a nice show, and while I disagree with many of her techniques, I can only surmise that time constraints are the reason. She uses simple foods with lots of help from appliances to put together a meal.
I will be curious to see how the Food Network holds up in the coming months.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:54 am

Iron Chef gets more like the foodie version of professional wrestling every day.

-Paul W.
Previous