Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Inherited kitchen stuff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Inherited kitchen stuff

by Jenise » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:18 pm

In the Angel Food Cake thread, Barb and Cynthia mention having angel food cake pans that belonged to a mom or grandmother. I can relate: the angel food cake pan I own is the very one my mother made angel food cakes in (always box mixes, alas, but it was the only cake she'd bake and we kids didn't know the difference) when I was a little girl. I have probably used it three times in my life, and the last time was easily ten years ago, but would I part with it? Nooooooooo.

Ditto the Revereware 8 qt stockpot and giant frying pan, the former of which gets used fairly often and the latter of which I have never used. Ditto Mom's Ecko spatulas which I use daily, several of which Bob has bondo-ed as pieces of the handles fell off over the years.

Is your kitchen full of sentimental hand-me-downs?
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Inherited kitchen stuff

by David Creighton » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:53 pm

believe it or not i still have a VERY old electric mixer that belonged to a neighbor - Mrs Cranmer - when i was growing up 50 years ago. she died and i got this when my mother cleaned out her kitchen for the family and give it to me when i was a grad student. it still works! i also have at least two old caste iron pans from my own mother that i use constantly.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:12 pm

See my list in this thread.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:21 pm

NJ has a shite-load of kitchen stuff she inherited from her Mom...too much to mention. Somehow I wound up with a rolling pin and a cutting board from my Great Grandmother...circa 1900, along with her convection oven (just joshing about the last item).
Wm.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:07 pm

I managed to kill my mother's Kenwood Mixer (brioche will do that), but I still use the mottley mix of cutlery she gave me when I was in college. Makes me feel like a young student in cheap rental accommodation, my version of a hippie era I never had. :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:26 pm

Nothing actually inherited from my family, but I do have the Atlas pasta machine my mom gave me for my 16th birthday and the Cuisinart food processor she gave me as an engagement gift in 1978. Both are still used regularly and both still perform like champs.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:12 pm

I still have my mom's Sunbeam stand mixer. She used it for cakes and Tom and Jerry batter at Christmas. It is still beautiful and working. Frankly, I like it better than the new ones. My new Kitchen Aid does not have the room for dumping ingredients like the Sunbeam.

I have a very old Angel Food Cake pan, and the 12 qt. stock pot by Revere Ware. I also have a white mug with pink roses around the top edge. My grandfather used it when he shaved. My guess is that they picked it up at a carnival and being very thrifty, put it to good use.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:04 pm

My greatest prize is my Great-Grandmother's set of cast iron skillets: round, square, 4-inch round, round griddle. I have other things too numerable to list from my mother, grandmothers, and aunt.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:11 pm

Jenise wrote:Is your kitchen full of sentimental hand-me-downs?

Not "full of," but I have a black-iron skillet (technically a chicken fryer) and dutch oven that I got from my mother when I first lived on my own, and I think they may have belonged to her mother, and they're still going strong and I use them constantly. Love 'em.

And a trio of Revere Ware saucepans that my mother gave me in the '70s (?) that I have never polished since then. ;) Still in good shape and also in regular use, although I have cast aluminum saucepans and a couple of excellent sauciers that I use more often.

That's about it, though.

Well, a Chicago Cutlery 9-inch chef's knife (and a few other smaller ones) that's been my mainstay since I treated myself to it in the '70s. It's pretty much grown to fit my hand, and vice versa.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:00 am

Yup!

Here are some I use the most often (from my grandmother and Amy's grandmother).

The (dough divider?) in the middle I use to slice pizza. It works great!

Obviously, the old Le Crueset is my favorite.

Best,
Joe