Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Fire Roasted Corn Flan

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

RCP: Fire Roasted Corn Flan

by Bob Ross » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:37 pm

One of my joys of traveling is to find unusual foods -- for example, during our recent trip to Santa Fe we ate at the Old House Restaurant and had a delicious sour dough bread flavored with cardamom. A delightful combination of sour and sweet, with exotic overtones on both the yeast and the cardamom sides.

We both love corn recipes, and I made this dish on Sunday afternoon, several hours after arriving home on the red eye. A very successful dinner, and plenty of left overs for breakfast and a couple more meals as well.

Fire Roasted Corn Flan from the October/November 2007 "santa fean".

[Note: there are a number of options in this recipe, and the article contained a number of typos; I've written it pretty much as I made the dish, bracketing my options.]

6 to 8 servings

Ingredients

4 1/2 cups fire roasted fresh corn kernels, five to six ears [our corn was marginally fresh but acceptable roasted]
1 1/2 cup heavy cream, divided
1 1/2 tsp [arrowroot] or cornstarch
1 to 2 TBSP chipotle chiles in abodo, minced, or 1/3 cup chopped, roasted New Mexican green or poblano chiles. [I did not use the chiles in my first attempt; we like the flavor of all of the other ingredients, and added a bit of heat to taste at table.]
6 TBSP unsalted butter, divided 1/3, 2/3
1/2 cup [bread crumbs with 2 TBSP butter] or corn tortilla chips without butter
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 TBSP fresh marjoram or [sage]
4 large eggs, well beaten
1 cup grated Monterey Jack, Mexican queso asadero, cheddar or [fontina] cheese; replace 1/3 cup with Cotija, Roman, Parmesan or [Asiago] for a sharper flavor
1 tsp salt -- omitted here.
Black pepper to taste

Technique

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Roast all of the corn -- see cook's notes.
Puree half the roasted corn with 1/3 cup cream, arrowroot powder and chipotle or chiles in a food processor.
Melt the butter and combine 1/3 of the butter with the bread crumbs; reserve.
Sautee the onions in the remaining butter for two minutes, add garlic and herbs and sautee for another two minutes.
Place all of the corn, corn and cream mix, onions and garlic in a bowl and mix well.
Stir in the eggs, the remaining cream and the cheese.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pour into a lightly buttered baking dish or into individual ramekins.
Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
Bake 40 to 50 minutes in the baking dish or 25 to 35 minutes in the ramekins.
Bake until the top is golden brown and flan is set, but not too firm -- it should wiggle when shaken.

Cook's Notes

Roast the corn using your favorite method; I cut off the kernels and sautee the kernels in their own milk in a stick proof pan until they form a light crust. Deglaze with white wine or water and add the liquid to the roasted corn. [I believe frozen corn would serve the purpose in this dish if fresh corn is not available.]

The "santa fean"" suggests cooking the corn with husks on in a grill for 7 to 10 minutes until the kernels give a little when pressed. Or, bake in oven at 450 F for 15 to 18 minutes until the kernels give a little when pressed. In either case, allow the corn to steam in its husk for 5 to 6 minutes, then unhusk and remove the silk.

Trader Joe sells a Fire Roasted Corn which I think is too sweet as a side dish but would work well in this recipe if you are pressed for time.

On my first attempt, I used 2/3 fontina and 1/3 Asiago cheese, which was fine; the other blends seem good as well.

I did not use the chiles on the first attempt -- we like roasted corn -- but we can see the appeal of the chiles in this dish.

I would cut back the butter to 3 TBSPs, and use half and half next time.

The unbaked flan would hold nicely in the fridge for a few days, and could be frozen for six months or so; a great reason to use the individual ramekins instead of a baking dish. [That's true, but perhaps even more important, it's tougher to overeat with individual servings. :) ]

Wine Match.

One reason I avoided the chiles in this recipe was that I served the dish with Gewurtztraminer Vendages Tardives Heimbourg Zind-Humbrecht 1990. The wine is drinking beautifully just now, the acidity added a fascinating dimension to the dish generally, and it was almost a perfect match. I'm sure the dish would go well with dry Rieslings and perhaps with a young Cote du Rhone.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Fire Roasted Corn Flan

by Jenise » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:18 pm

Bob, especially at this time of year, the frozen fire roasted corn available at Trader Joe's would be a great ingredient in this recipe.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:29 pm

Thanks for the info on the Trader Joe's Roasted Corn, Jenise. I was operating on memory of the taste but I'm sure your judgment is well founded. I'll roast some excellent frozen corn, and do a taste test with TJ's version.

Have you had sour dough bread flavored with cardamom?

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:32 pm

We generally find The Old House to be quite good. And we agree... that bread rocks!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:40 pm

Cynthia, we got the name of the baker from the staff at Old House, but have misplaced it. They said the bread was available to the public. Any idea who makes it?

We had a wonderful meal on Friday night -- just perfect -- the best meal we could remember in Santa Fe. Saturday night we hosted a small dinner and the food was marginal at best -- it could have been a different restaurant altogether. I wondered if the big benefit that was going on could have explained the difference.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:47 pm

I think it's from Sage Bakehouse, but I can check.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:54 pm

I'm sure I can find the bakery's name in my bag, Cynthia, thanks. It takes me awhile to plow through the receipts and I'm sure it's on one of them.

Sorry we missed you this trip, but we seem to be well recovered now.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:06 pm

And, yes, I am sure the benefit impacted the quality of the food and service on Saturday night. I usually check what else is going on there when making reservations.

(For those playing along at home, The Old House is in the Eldorado Hotel, so is affected by events elsewhere in the property.)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:49 pm

Cynthia, I found the note. The waiter checked with the chef, and the sour dough bread with cardomom comes from Garretts Desert Inn at Le Zodiac Bakery. Apparently they don't ship out of state.

Regards, Bob