Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Range and Range Hood Advice Needed

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Range and Range Hood Advice Needed

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:33 pm

Lill and I are moving (again) and I want to replace the low end gas range in the house with something better. The space is sized for a standard 30" (edit) slide in and there is plenty of room over the range for an under cabinet hood (once I remove the microwave which wouldn't get much use anyway).

I've been reading Consumer Reports, talking to vendors, reviewing online and I'm confused. Right now we only have budget for a 30" replacement as a full up renovation just isn't in the works..

I'd like to have more than 4 burners (I think? Do I?), continuous grates seem fairly standard, a warming draw sounds nice but does it work?, convection, good high burners, low simmers.

What do you guys like? Kenmore Elite seems to have all the features I want but I've read mixed reviews. GE Profile has the features as well but also up and down reviews.

And what do I need for the range hood? The ducting is all there for an under counter model (non-chimney type) but I have no idea how much flow rate would make sense. I see models ranging from 150CFM to 1200. What should I be looking for? Low noise? something else?

Any thoughts and experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated! thanks.
Last edited by Bill Buitenhuys on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

Re: Range and Range Hood Advice Needed

by Mark Willstatter » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:42 pm

Bill, I doubt I can be much help since I get by using a relatively modest range myself. But for the sake of clarification of terminology, a "drop-in" range is one where the hole the cabinetry doesn't extend all the way to the floor, so that the bottom front of the installed range is not visible. Most of those that I've seen are electric, for some reason. The hole for a "slide-in" goes all the way to the floor so that entire front of the installed range is visible. Is it drop-in or slide-in you're looking for?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:01 am

I've been studying up on ranges for some time now. From various online sources, it appears that Blue Star gets high rankings among the more expensive brands for performance but less for looks. They simmer well, have at least one high-btu burner per unit (15000 or 17000, I can't remember which) and decent ovens. Kenmore gets a nod for more moderately priced ranges. If we can swing it, I'm aiming for a Blue Star 36" with six burners when we do our (still mythical) kitchen re-model.

Vent-a-hood seems to be the hood manufacturer that everyone raves about but I think they're pretty pricey, too. When my wife re-did the kitchen in her previous house, she got a good deal by having a sheet metal fabricator do the hood for her.

For lots of appliance info, check out this invaluable resource.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:23 am

Bill, we recently did a kitchen renovation, and we didn't want to over improve wrt the neighborhood, so, no pricey home versions of commercial equipment for us. I get sick of looking at the stuff all day, anyway.

I went with the GE Profile gas range - it has 5 burners - one of which is a higher btu burner, and another a low, simmer burner. There is one elongated burner in the center which will accomodate a griddle.
It also has two ovens, one, regular sized, and one smaller, warming oven.
Having worked with the range for about four months now, I can say I am very happy with it, and I think it provides good value. The lower oven came in very handy on thanksgiving day. I used the high heat then turn the oven off and don't open it for two hours method of cooking my rib roast - and was still able to warm the rolls and cook my stuffed mushrooms, using the lower oven.

I can't speak to the durability of it, as we're still in the honeymoon phase. Call me the day after the warranty expires.

As to the hood, we just went with a Kenmore Elite rated for that particular range. It's quiet and we haven't had any issues with it, but our kitchen is pretty light and airy.

"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:49 am

Is it drop-in or slide-in you're looking for?
Slide in. Thanks, Mark. I have alot to learn. :lol:
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:55 am

Mike, thanks for the link! That looks like good reading

John, that looks like one of the ranges I've been looking at. Thanks for the insight and I hope it works out for you. It's good to see someone else has the old school espresso maker like we use.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:17 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
Is it drop-in or slide-in you're looking for?
Slide in. Thanks, Mark. I have alot to learn. :lol:

I was guessing that was the case but now your response to John has me wondering again. His range appears to be what's called "free-standing", with the oven controls on the back panel like that. ("Free-standing" refers to the fact that it has finished sheetmetal sides and so could stand alone, slide- and drop-in's not having sheetmetal "skins" on the side). A slide-in typically would lack the back panel and add trim pieces to cover the gap between range and counter top.

Regardless of which configuration you're looking for, I'll throw my two cents' worth in about a central burner: it's just one more thing to clean unless it offers some capability the other burners don't. There's not enough room with typical cookware on a 30" cooktop to use a central burner and others at the same time, so there's no point (IMO, of course) in adding a fifth burner that duplicates something the other burners can already do - for example, a little fifth "simmer burner" in the middle, something I've actually seen. But if you're an avid user of griddles or of woks, a special griddle or wok burner might make sense.

On the hood thing, I think getting rid of the microhood would be a good idea even if you used a microwave a lot. In that case, I'd find another place for the microwave. In my experience, microhoods make lousy hoods. On the CFM subject, from what I've read and experienced, 300 CFM is the minimum anyone should want, 600 CFM is more than adequate for most people, the 1200 CFM end of the range you mentioned is necessary only if grilling or stir frying is your main thing.

It sounds like you're looking to plug something in place of the microhood. Your choices may be dictated by how much vertical space you have available. If you're looking for something relatively modestly priced that does the job, take a look at the Zephyr "Power Series". I have the Zephyr Hurricane, which looks like an ordinary under-cabinet hood, delivers 695 CFM for about $400 or so. This was CR's top rated hood when they did those a couple of years ago. The only thing they didn't like was the lighting, which has since been upgraded.

One last thing: John's range looks great but in my experience, gray grates are something best avoided as they are very unforgiving in showing baked-on spatters. Black grates are much friendlier in that respect, so get those if you can. Unfortunately, makers of white appliances have decided that gray looks best (and it does, in the showroom), so you may not have an option if white is what you want.

Good luck!

Edited to change "stand-alone" to "free-standing". I'll get the jargon straight yet :)
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:34 pm

This is all great advice, Mark. Ya, I just learned today the difference between slide in and free standing. Most of the higher end 30" stoves (DCS, Blue Star, etc) seem to be free standing. For the more modest lines (like where I'll probably end up) there are both free standing and slide in. I like the looks of the slide in with the bit of counter overhang but I've read (on the linkthat Mike provided) that people have ways to seal up the remaining gaps for free standing with products that look decent.

Good call on the 5th burner. I do alot of flat top cooking and could just as easily get a good griddle for one side. There are many more options for 4 burners than for 5.

That Zephyr looks like just the trick. How easy is it to clean the filterless system?
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:19 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:This is all great advice, Mark. Ya, I just learned today the difference between slide in and free standing. Most of the higher end 30" stoves (DCS, Blue Star, etc) seem to be free standing. For the more modest lines (like where I'll probably end up) there are both free standing and slide in. I like the looks of the slide in with the bit of counter overhang but I've read (on the linkthat Mike provided) that people have ways to seal up the remaining gaps for free standing with products that look decent.

Good call on the 5th burner. I do alot of flat top cooking and could just as easily get a good griddle for one side. There are many more options for 4 burners than for 5.

That Zephyr looks like just the trick. How easy is it to clean the filterless system?

FWIW, you'll pay a premium for slide-in vs. free-standing, at least that was the case when I looked into it. IOW, for manufacturers that makes both, you'll get either lower performance for the same price or pay more for the same performance in a slide-in. I don't know if that's got anything to do with manufacturing cost or is strictly marketing. There is also a significant premium for "dual-fuel", which means gas cooktop with electric oven.

I'm happy with my Zephyr, seems to give good performance a reasonable price. The cleaning is a snap (and noise is reduced, I suspect) because there are no filters, grease drains into a couple of cups in the rear of the hood. The cleaning procedure is to spray a dozen squirts of "non-abrasive cleaner" (I've read that to mean Formula 409) into each of the two fans with the hood running on low speed. You let it run for another ten minutes while the Formula 409 chases grease down into the cups, then empty and clean the cups. The surfaces on the rest of the hood are all smooth and so easy to clean.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:43 am

The surfaces on the rest of the hood are all smooth and so easy to clean.
Sweet! Consumer Reports gives them good grades across the board now. This is the hood I'm targeting right now. Thanks

Ya, you are right about the premium for slide in. I'm not sure the cosmetic advantage of no gap is really worth it.

I've read alot of comments from people that say gas top/electric oven is the best of both worlds. More research to do here!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:09 am

The dual-fuel (gas top/electric oven) combination does reportedly have advantages. Baking with an electric oven is supposed to work better for most applications and you still get the gas top. From what I've seen, though, you pay a premium for this.

The induction tops have been getting rave reviews as well. I can't quite get excited about them myself, but some people really seem to like them.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:18 am

Mark Willstatter wrote: I'll throw my two cents' worth in about a central burner: it's just one more thing to clean unless it offers some capability the other burners don't. There's not enough room with typical cookware on a 30" cooktop to use a central burner and others at the same time, :)

I really haven't had an issue with that, and I use commercial pots and pans. What I find is that with all burners going, if functions in much the same way as a restaurant "flat top" and I can move pots and pans around as I need to, and there's always a heat source nearby. I like it much more than I expected.
Also, the fact that it perfectly accomodates a griddle makes it welcome on Sunday mornings.

Mark Willstatter wrote:One last thing: John's range looks great but in my experience, gray grates are something best avoided as they are very unforgiving in showing baked-on spatters. Black grates are much friendlier in that respect, so get those if you can. Unfortunately, makers of white appliances have decided that gray looks best (and it does, in the showroom), so you may not have an option if white is what you want.

They do, but we're not ones to leave that stuff on there, regardless of the color. A few swipes with a green scratchy pad (not recommended by the mfg) puts them right back in showroom condition.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:35 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:The dual-fuel (gas top/electric oven) combination does reportedly have advantages. Baking with an electric oven is supposed to work better for most applications and you still get the gas top. From what I've seen, though, you pay a premium for this.

I've heard those reports, too, but I've cooked in both gas and electric ovens and have to say I've never noticed a difference. Also, gas broilers are typically superior to electric ones, particularly the new "infrared broilers". The only edge I know of for electric is if you want what's called "true convection", the "true" part meaning the convection fan has it's own electric element. Gas convection ovens have the fan but typically not the the extra element. There is a heck of premium to be paid once you have the "dual-fuel" label on a range, though. It's as if they know if you're in the market for dual-fuel, you're an appliance junkie and will pay the price. From what I've seen, there is no advantage to an electric oven worth paying a significant premium for, all-gas is just fine.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:57 pm

Mark Willstatter wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:The dual-fuel (gas top/electric oven) combination does reportedly have advantages. Baking with an electric oven is supposed to work better for most applications and you still get the gas top. From what I've seen, though, you pay a premium for this.

I've heard those reports, too, but I've cooked in both gas and electric ovens and have to say I've never noticed a difference. Also, gas broilers are typically superior to electric ones, particularly the new "infrared broilers". The only edge I know of for electric is if you want what's called "true convection", the "true" part meaning the convection fan has it's own electric element. Gas convection ovens have the fan but typically not the the extra element. There is a heck of premium to be paid once you have the "dual-fuel" label on a range, though. It's as if they know if you're in the market for dual-fuel, you're an appliance junkie and will pay the price. From what I've seen, there is no advantage to an electric oven worth paying a significant premium for, all-gas is just fine.

We've wondered how the advantages could possibly be worth the cost as well. For the extra tariff of a dual-fuel over an all-gas range, you can almost buy a small electric wall oven. Obviously not an option if you don't have the space, but it does lead one to question the difference in cost for the manufacturer vs. cost to the consumer.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:22 pm

We've been in our house for a less than two years. We have a DCS CT-365 five burner drop in. It has a Faber Perla hood. We have a separate oven, et al in the wall (Viking). DCS does offer a similar model with an electric oven under, with or without a warming drawer. We love our arrangment, and recommend the components for any and all.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:19 pm

So I ended up with the Zephyr Hurricane (thanks, Mark) and a GE Profile 5burner dual fuel freestanding (thanks, John), both in stainless.

The Zephyr installed in a snap and it pulled searing meat smoke out without a hitch.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:08 pm

The higher the BTU's the higher CFM is needed. Go with as high a CFM as possible* you won't be disappointed. I went with the highest I could go legally at that time without adding additional makeup air. That was only 300 CFM . My stove underneath it was a 4 burner DCS with 12000 BTU burners. My smoke alarm goes off any time I am really cooking up a storm, especially when I open up the oven or the wall oven. I now have a 4 burner 15000 BTU Wolf and of course the alarm situation continues. For a good hot gas cooktop you should have at least 500 CFM.

* The top CFM will be determined by your make up air level. Unless you can slide a higher one past the locals and cook with a nearby window cracked.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:05 pm

Thanks, Geo. The Zephyr that I installed is just under 700 cfm. I haven't stressed it with too much cooking smoke yet but it's really pulled out what I have generated so far.