Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Knife Love

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Knife Love

by Jenise » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:31 pm

If it's possible for a knife to ooze sexuality, then here's the big O for me when it comes to knives.

I don't care if he has a job, I don't care about how many girlfriends he's had, I just love the way he looks and I must must must have him.

I think.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Re: Knife Love

by Celia » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:03 pm

Jenise, that's knife LUST, not knife LOVE....LOL !

I must admit, I'm fairly enamoured with my Furis...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:59 pm

No, Celia, not for us girls--it may only last a night, but it's love. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:02 pm

Stop it! That knife is scaring Laura. But then most knives are scaring Laura these days.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:20 pm

Jenise wrote:If it's possible for a knife to ooze sexuality, then here's the big O for me when it comes to knives.

I don't care if he has a job, I don't care about how many girlfriends he's had, I just love the way he looks and I must must must have him.

I think.

So, what brand is this knife, and what is it designed for?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:52 pm

Jenise wrote:If it's possible for a knife to ooze sexuality, then here's the big O for me when it comes to knives.

I think.

It's a she, Jenise. And I'd do her.

I'm not sure about the tip though. But I can think of plenty other positions that would be a real ride.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:12 am

Cowboy, you want a ride? Behold the bread knife!

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:18 am

Karen, they're made, or at least distributed by, Calphalon. It's called the Katana series, and Katana uses a core of VG-1 Japanese steel which is super hard and retains its edge, and wraps it in 32 layers of stainless steel in such a way that the layers shows off their fancy stripes.

Here's a close-up of the blade:

I've found quite a few raves for them. Only downside is a stronger inclination to rust, which you inhibit by cleaning them from time to time with some kind of Bar Keepers product.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:59 am

Albino ruined me to mass-produced knives. My lady lives across the sea...

[img]http://watanabeblade.com/english/special/damascusgyuto1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://watanabeblade.com/english/special/cleaver.jpg[/img]

[img]http://watanabeblade.com/english/pro/kurouchi.jpg[/img]

Drool~
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:48 pm

Jenise wrote:Cowboy, you want a ride? Behold the bread knife!

She was hot until I heard "Calphalon". I fear that the love affair may be over. This may be one of the ladies that I have to date for a while before I take her to bed.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:51 pm

JoePerry wrote:Albino ruined me to mass-produced knives. My lady lives across the sea...

Drool~

Joe, do you own these knives? Now those are women that I simply MUST have! I was going to ask you what kind they were until I quoted the post. Then I saw the URL tag as Watana. I've heard of them and now must find some...no matter the cost.

rwj
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:13 pm

Robert J. wrote:
JoePerry wrote:Albino ruined me to mass-produced knives. My lady lives across the sea...

Drool~

Joe, do you own these knives? Now those are women that I simply MUST have! I was going to ask you what kind they were until I quoted the post. Then I saw the URL tag as Watana. I've heard of them and now must find some...no matter the cost.

rwj

Watanabe makes amazing knives. Check out this website.

http://www.watanabeblade.com/english/pro/index.htm

My Sashimi knife is Watanabe. The rest of my knives are a mixed bag. Albino, a german knife maker who sometimes posts in the FLDG (though I haven't seen him in a long time) turned me on to good handmade knives.

I'd love to have two of those Soba Kiri *chopchopchopchopchopchopchopchop*

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:00 am

Down girl!
Laminated knife--looks a lot like my Shun knives from Sur La Table, where they cost an arm and a leg. Maybe this type of knife is available somewhere for less than the cost of a limb, but then again, tis' the season...
I love the 3 I've got. ( I had 4 but one disappeared, dammit). They keep an edge longer than other knives. Kirk says they are harder to sharpen than most, knives, so that initial edge is hard to replicate. My very favorite is a mini sized chefs knife. I use it more than any other knife in my kitchen.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:54 am

That "moiré silk" pattern comes from layering carbon into the steel in just about exactly the way that one makes puff pastry by layering butter into the dough -- you fold it over, flatten it out, fold it over, flatten it out. The technique is still used to make Samurai swords, and was used 1000 years ago to make Damascus steel in the middle east. I am not sure I completely approve of the Wikipedia article but here is the URL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel

It is very pretty but I don't like the tendency to rust.

I sent in a deposit for a Randall knife a year or 2 back. Nowhere near as sexy as the ones you are talking about but a hand-made knife that will hold a keen edge.

http://www.randallknives.com/catalog.ph ... etail&id=1

Frank

PS I went back and tried to look up when I ordered, probably it was December 2005. And at that time I was talking to Albino Tuosto in Switzerland. But none of his knife-blog links work any more, and when I Google him I learn about photography and sushi making but not about knives. He's the guy Joe Perry mentioned.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:44 pm

Joe said:
My Sashimi knife is Watanabe. The rest of my knives are a mixed bag. Albino, a german knife maker who sometimes posts in the FLDG (though I haven't seen him in a long time) turned me on to good handmade knives.

Actually, he's Swiss (at least by virtue of where he lives), and a chef. He still posts from time to time, but these days under the name Tsunami.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:47 pm

The Cowboy said:
She was hot until I heard "Calphalon". I fear that the love affair may be over. This may be one of the ladies that I have to date for a while before I take her to bed.

So if the hottie's from Manhattan or Soho you can do her in an instant, but if she's from the 'burbs you're not as interested? Oh Robert, it is not fair to blame the girl for her parents' sins!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:53 pm

Ines Nyby wrote:Down girl!
Laminated knife--looks a lot like my Shun knives from Sur La Table, where they cost an arm and a leg. Maybe this type of knife is available somewhere for less than the cost of a limb, but then again, tis' the season...

I love the 3 I've got. ( I had 4 but one disappeared, dammit). They keep an edge longer than other knives. Kirk says they are harder to sharpen than most, knives, so that initial edge is hard to replicate. My very favorite is a mini sized chefs knife. I use it more than any other knife in my kitchen.

One of the reviews I read compared these very favorably in quality to Shun but these cost less, and several reviewers (including a professional chef who keeps uses at home and doesn't dare take them into the hotel where she works because they're so good looking they'd get stolen) said they hold an edge very well. The only complaint I found was about the need to wash and dry them immediately after use to prevent rust.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:12 pm

Jenise wrote:I've found quite a few raves for them. Only downside is a stronger inclination to rust, which you inhibit by cleaning them from time to time with some kind of Bar Keepers product.

Jenise, I have used the Bar Keepers Friend product on SS cookware to amazing results. It cleans very very well, yet is not abrasive enough to leave scratch marks. I use the powder, and imagine that the liquid or creme would do equally as well. here is a link to their web page. http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:50 pm

Bob, thanks for the link. I've never used their products, but I see some things there I could really use. Think I'll place me an order.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:55 pm

Jenise wrote:Joe said:

Actually, he's Swiss (at least by virtue of where he lives), and a chef. He still posts from time to time, but these days under the name Tsunami.

Doesn't he make his own knives too? I sometimes have trouble with everything he says...

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:56 pm

Jenise wrote:The Cowboy said:

So if the hottie's from Manhattan or Soho you can do her in an instant, but if she's from the 'burbs you're not as interested? Oh Robert, it is not fair to blame the girl for her parents' sins!

You can take the girl out of the 'burbs, but you can't take the 'burbs out of the girl! :shock:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:07 pm

JoePerry wrote:You can take the girl out of the 'burbs, but you can't take the 'burbs out of the girl! :shock:

So that's what's wrong with me. :)
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:52 pm

Jenise wrote:If it's possible for a knife to ooze sexuality ...

All the stranger that in German it's considered a "neuter." Das Messer, der Loeffel, die Gabel -- the most notorious gender example in that particular tongue -- knife (neuter), spoon (masculine), fork (feminine) -- demonstrating yet again (as in the wine forum's "goût de roi" thread) there's no accounting for language.

This equipment can get fancy (and expensive) -- as a student I knew one fanatic, subscribed to American Blade magazine and returned from Japan with prized Samurai-type kitchen knives -- he'd hold one edge-up and drop a lemon broadside onto it -- without slowing any from free-fall, the lemon would fall through, microscopically bisected but still almost together. (A much less macabre demonstration than the swordfight scene at the end of one famous Kurusawa movie.)
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:05 pm

JoePerry wrote:
Jenise wrote:Joe said:

Doesn't he make his own knives too? I sometimes have trouble with everything he says...

Best,
Joe

Albino lives in Lichtensteig, due south of Konstanz, and is very Swiss. He makes his own knives but a couple of years ago when he was on the Squires board he was desperately looking for excellent Sushi knives from Japan, which evidently is because he is also a chef. And, for what it's worth, a photographer.

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/account/myprofile/14907

That's the dude.

Frank
Next