Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Knife Love

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: Knife Love

by Frank Deis » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:52 pm

I think it's really too easy to underestimate the rust problem with this sort of steel. I -have- owned knives made with "Damaszenerstahl." You get a spot or two of rust and it's all pretty much downhill from there, very hard to eradicate it. Cancer.

Please read the second review of this sexy knife on Amazon, written by a professional chef.

http://tinyurl.com/2tvwof

Frank
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:33 am

I'm still in love with the two carbon steel-type Chinese cleavers that I own. I have to be careful to wash and dry them after every use, lest they rust, and they need periodic sharpening on a whetstone, but they are my all-purpose utensil for nearly all forms of cutting.

That Chinese-style cleaver in Damascus-type steel--with the moire-pattern of carbon--looks damn sexy. But I already got a pair of Chinese cleavers I'm in love with (one for meat, one for vegetables).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:42 am

Like Joe, I've taken to getting knives from Japanese sources. We have one of the chef knives shown here.

The Japan Woodworker catalog has quite a few interesting knives, ranging from quite inexpensive up to just-sub-$1K. Fun to browse the site, if nothing else.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:28 pm

Frank Deis wrote:I think it's really too easy to underestimate the rust problem with this sort of steel. I -have- owned knives made with "Damaszenerstahl." You get a spot or two of rust and it's all pretty much downhill from there, very hard to eradicate it. Cancer.

Please read the second review of this sexy knife on Amazon, written by a professional chef.

Frank

The "this knife however requires more care and attention than a newborn baby... "? Yeah, worries me. I live on saltwater waterfront, and I'm not anal enough to adequately care for high maintenance anything. But that aside, for just looks, I've never seen a sexier knife than this Katana.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:30 pm

Jenise wrote:
Frank Deis wrote:I think it's really too easy to underestimate the rust problem with this sort of steel. I -have- owned knives made with "Damaszenerstahl." You get a spot or two of rust and it's all pretty much downhill from there, very hard to eradicate it. Cancer.

Frank

The "this knife however requires more care and attention than a newborn baby... "? Yeah, worries me. I live on saltwater waterfront, and I'm not anal enough to adequately care for high maintenance anything. But that aside, for just looks, I've never seen a sexier knife than this Katana.

That Randall's impressive. So, only two and a half more years to wait?
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:45 pm

I'm not trying to sell anyone else on a Randall made knife. I think when I ordered the waiting time was only 3 years, so I might get lucky and own that knife before I die/retire/go completely senile.

I really think it's NOT a thing of great beauty and not something to get if you are trying to impress, or to be impressed. But it's functional, and that is a good thing. FWIW Albino was repulsed by the idea of a Randall knife in his kitchen.

I really loved Joe Perry's knife pix, and in fact I love the way the Calphalon Katana looks. But for me, buying that knife would be like marrying Anna Nicole Smith...

F
Previous