Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hats and Caps

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Hats and Caps

by Redwinger » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:16 am

Just to reinfornce my curmudgeonly ways, I'd like to go on record that it is rude to eat at a table, be it at home or in a restaurant, with a cap on your pointy little head. I think I tried to get away with that exactly once as a child...never dawned on me to try it again. What, are you in a big hurry or sumthin'?
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Hats and Caps

by Carrie L. » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:26 am

Winger, I suspect it has something to do with the resulting "hat hair" being worse than the offense.

I know many people, mostly women (myself included about 50% of the time) who just come off the golf course after 18 holes and decide to have lunch. Depending on the heat of the day, leaving a hat or visor ON is much better than seeing what's underneath.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:45 am

Carrie L. wrote:Winger, I suspect it has something to do with the resulting "hat hair" being worse than the offense.

I know many people, mostly women (myself included about 50% of the time) who just come off the golf course after 18 holes and decide to have lunch. Depending on the heat of the day, leaving a hat or visor ON is much better than seeing what's underneath.

I suspect, having been brought up the same way, that he's talking about guys, not women.

Like Bill, I was brought up in an era and a region where men just plain did NOT keep their hats on indoors. It wasn't done. Common, crude and trashy. It's awfully hard to overcome this upbringing, and when I see guys with their gimme caps on indoors, especially in a nicer eatery, it's almost impossible for me not to make a value judgement about their class.

And I'm not even a curmudgeon! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:11 pm

"Common, crude and trashy."

I've got lots of those attributes, but miss the "hat on head indoors" violation.

Never wear them indoors or outdoors, even in the coldest weather. Unless I'm blowing snow or Janet insists -- then off with the darn thing as soon as I'm done or Janet is out of sight.

:)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:25 pm

I agree that it is Just Not Done. My son never got away with that when I was around. I don't care if that makes me old-fashioned.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:51 pm

Robin, my husband was raised in the south, and is likewise tuned into that rule. However, he's bald and a bare head allows an unhealthy amount of heat loss; a cold head means he's cold and uncomfortable all over. Wouldn't you be sympathetic to someone less hirsute than yourself?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:52 pm

Like I used to hear when someone did something distasteful (hats indoors included) -- "who dey mama?" Our children and grandchildren have grown up in an era where a hat that dips slightly over one eye is cool, and you wouldn't want to interrupt your coolness factor for the sake of respectability! But, as the adults in their lives, we need to teach them better. Thus the question -- "who dey mama?"; and the resulting "the apple don't fall far from the tree" when you look behind them and see why they feel it's perfectly alright to wear a hat indoors (and display other forms of crass behavior).
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Leslie D.

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:40 pm

by Leslie D. » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:06 pm

Apparently the rule doesn't apply to women, anyways. A woman's hat is considered part of her outfit and she can wear it anywhere outside of her own home.

Wearing it at home would send the message to guests that she is on her way out.

Aren't these arcane etiquette rules interesting?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:57 pm

Jenise wrote:Robin, my husband was raised in the south, and is likewise tuned into that rule. However, he's bald and a bare head allows an unhealthy amount of heat loss; a cold head means he's cold and uncomfortable all over. Wouldn't you be sympathetic to someone less hirsute than yourself?

This is one of those rules like the one about smoking in public: They only apply to strangers, not friends. ;)

But ... I'm only talking about indoors here. Having a full share of head foliage, maybe I just don't know, but I would have assumed that cold scalp is mostly an outdoor phenomenon.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:But ... I'm only talking about indoors here. Having a full share of head foliage, maybe I just don't know, but I would have assumed that cold scalp is mostly an outdoor phenomenon.

Robin,
I thought the same thing or perhaps Jenise just keeps her home thermostat set for just above hypothermia.
BP
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:47 pm

Randy's right about the normal gender division, but Bob and I are completely switched around. He runs cool, and I'm a human torch.

Bill, we keep our thermostat at 68-70. Comfortable enough to not mandate a cap, and Bob would bow to convention at someone else's home or in a restaurant lest someone misinterpret his intentions. But at home or among friends, it is hardly "crass". It's a convenience, when done tastefully, that should be as accepted as long sleeved shirts, pants and shoes which people also choose to wear indoors.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:19 pm

Jenise,
Just to clear, my reference to wearing a cap at home was meant to apply to other people's homes not their/your own home. I don't care what anyone does in private or among friends. Perhaps I could have been clearer on that point, but this is the internet afterall and I'm not going to sweat it.
no avatar
User

Leslie D.

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:40 pm

by Leslie D. » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:06 pm

Jenise wrote:It's a convenience, when done tastefully, that should be as accepted as long sleeved shirts, pants and shoes which people also choose to wear indoors.

Jenise, do you wear shoes in your house? I hate walking barefoot or in socks and always wear shoes.

In most Canadian homes all shoes are removed at the door but I've noticed my American relatives and friends more often wear shoes indoors.

Even if you go to a house party a frequent request has been shoe removal.

We stayed in a hotel with a bunch of family awhile ago. I was amazed that they all removed their shoes and left them at the entrance to the hotel room.