Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Help with Potato Latkes requested.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Help with Potato Latkes requested.

by Bob Ross » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:14 pm

I'm putting together a list of dishes we like so that Janet can pick and choose what she would like for diner. Here's how I prepare one of her all time favorites; any suggestions for improvement in my technique?

(She prefers them with apple sauce -- I usually make it at the same time as I'm making the latkes -- or sour cream.)

Thanks in advance. Bob

Potato Latkes

12 to 16 Latkes

1 pound potatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp salt [not used here]
1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil

Technique

1. Preheat oven to 250 F.
2. Finely chop the onions.
3. Peel potatoes and coarsely grate by hand, transferring to a bowl of cold water as grated.
4. Soak for 2 minutes, then drain.
5. Spread grated potatoes and onions on a kitchen towel and roll up. Twist towel tightly to remove excess liquid.
6. Transfer potatoes and onion to mixing bowl and stir in egg and salt [if used].
7. Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil in non-stick skillet over moderately high heat.
8. Spoon 2 TBSP of potato mixture per latke into skillet, spreading into 3-inch rounds with a fork.
9. Reduce heat to moderate and brown the bottoms -- about five minutes -- then turn and brown the other side -- about five minutes.
10. Trasfer to paper towels and drain, adding salt to taste if used. Keep warm while making the additional latkes; my skillet will hold four of this size.
11. Serve immediately, or make several hours ahead and hold in refrigerator; heat at 350 F oven for five minutes.

Cook's Notes:

I usually make eight at a time, serving two and holding two for the next day; Clive loves the half egg left over from cutting the recipe in half.

Freezing doesn't work with potatoes -- they are 80% water.

Red or yellow skinned potatoes work best here.

Store potatoes at 45 to 50 F, and don't store in refrigerator -- the starch turns to sugar -- cook the latkes and reheat the next day if holding overnight in the fridge.