Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The Charles Dickens of Pizza

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: The Charles Dickens of Pizza

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:16 am

Max Hauser wrote:I testify (having dined with him and others here -- and traded wit, which is more important ;-) -- Rahsaan is a gentleman and a scholar, a sportsman at repartee, and one of the more flavor-conscious people I've met.

Frank Deis wrote:I have always been impressed by Rahsaan..never a troll.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:31 pm

Best: Valentino's in Gloucester Ma, and Elvio's in North Conway New Hampshire

Worst: Some vender in Venice. Pizza (shockingly) was uniformly bad in Italy.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:04 am

Hi Maria,
Many good pizzarias in Chicago now - Spacca Napoli, A Part Pizza just to name a couple. Renaldis is disgusting, Ginos, Giardanos, Pizzaria Due/Uno all rest on their corporate laurels. Gotta find the new small places for good za these days.

Let me know when you're in town and Sandy and I will find a good one for you.
Howard
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:22 am

JoePerry wrote:Best: Valentino's in Gloucester Ma, and Elvio's in North Conway New Hampshire

Worst: Some vender in Venice. Pizza (shockingly) was uniformly bad in Italy.

Hi Joe

If you read through the topic -- I think you were the victim of bad luck, or bad "terroir" in Italy. There are some very good pizzas to be had there.

F
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:41 am

Howard wrote:Hi Maria,
Many good pizzarias in Chicago now - Spacca Napoli, A Part Pizza just to name a couple. Renaldis is disgusting, Ginos, Giardanos, Pizzaria Due/Uno all rest on their corporate laurels. Gotta find the new small places for good za these days.

Let me know when you're in town and Sandy and I will find a good one for you.

Thanks Howard! That's great to hear. I hope to be out there sometime in June or July...I'll let you guys know, I would love to do an off-line with you and Sandy too.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:34 am

About the best pizzas I can recall were actually made by me.

I worked my way through part of university by being a pizza cook at a local restaurant in the evenings in order to make entry fees for my car racing hobby. At around $1.50 an hour plus a share of the tips, it took me about a week to make an entry fee, much less buy parts for the car.

Needless to say, I cut down on my food expense by eating from the restaurant whenever I could. They made their own dough (well, I made the dough) and while they had the usual toppings, I used to sneak in my own sometimes to use different cheeses (Gruyere added and edge, I recall) smoked oysters etc. I'd make my own dinner right at the end of the shift at 2 AM right before we shut down the ovens, and they were some of my best pizza memories.

What is up with these stuffed crust versions, and crusts thick as a loaf of bread, and stuffing as much caloric and fat content in there as you possibly can? A reasonably thin crust with interesting toppings is so much better, IMHO.
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

by Chris » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:07 pm

Domestically, it was pizza from Mama Nina's, long gone from Yountville, CA. When I worked at Mondavi, we'd get pizza from there on Fridays as the restaurant wasn't open for lunch Monday thru Thursday. Three pizzas were offered: one with Black Forest ham and goat cheese, a vegetarian, and a third which I don't remember. Wonderful, fabulous pizza, a thinly braided edge to the crust - just perfection and a calamari appetizer was equally memorable.

On a trip to Italy, cousins took us to a pizza place (I "liberated" a menu that is somewhere in my files) down in the Canal Naviglio Grande area of Milan. I had a quatro staggione pizza which was an eye opener, but what others ordered (and I tasted) and what I'll order if I ever get to return was a prosciutto and arugula pizza. They'd take the pizza out of the oven, partially slide it under a meat slicer, pile thin slices of prosciutto on top as fast as they could run that leg through the slicer, and then it was ready to eat. To this day, I still have a problem with prosciutto baked into the pizza.

Worst was in Florence on our last trip. The slice we ordered on the run was reminiscent of the boxed pizza mix that's been mentioned in this thread and I swear the cardboard was left somewhere in that crust. So bad.
Previous